Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-03-2013, 06:17   #406

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: The Most Basic Essential Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm Hardcore.... Marmite
Vegimite is the last resort.. I find it bland and not salty enough for my palate..
You never stayed long enough in Oz.....

Old 05-03-2013, 06:19   #407

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm Hardcore.... Marmite
Vegimite is the last resort.. I find it bland and not salty enough for my palate..
Will make sure I have some on board for you Boaty (as well as the rum according to Wotname) if our paths ever cross .

Old 05-03-2013, 06:22   #408
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Mackeral , Spanish, doggies, shark etc in Australia have high loads of cigeutera especially around Fraser Island area...
wahoo,kingfish around the islands north of martinique should also be treated with caution,but never heard of anybody ever gettin it from tuna or dorado.

anything that feeds off fish that feed off the reef should be treated with suspicion.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31   #409
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: The Most Basic Essential Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Will make sure I have some on board for you Boaty (as well as the rum according to Wotname) if our paths ever cross .
Ahah... a 'true' OZ welcome...
As to the fish... seafood..
problems appear to be spreading... last Nov as I was poodling down the Tassi coast they were repeating daily a call warning folk off lobsters etc all along the coast... cannot remember the problem... but commercial fishers were also banned... don't eat fish or other saline dwellers...
well apart from pickled onions, gherkins etc...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54   #410

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Wasabi Powder and Soy Sauce.

Catch a tuna, prepare it, mix a little water in the powdered wasabi, add soy sauce, Eat the tune raw. Little mess except for the cleaniing of th efish. GREAT MEAL!!! We do here in the Caribbean
Just wanted to add a precautionary to thoroughly check all raw fish for parasites. Here in the states we have a show called 'the monsters inside me' (one more thing to make us severely paranoid around here). A while back they did an episode on sushi where they went to a fish market, bought a bunch of fresh tuna and found parasites in almost all of it. According to their 'experts' most sushi grade fish is flash frozen to kill off potential parasites. If you eat one it could be decades before it comes back to haunt you.

animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/monsters-inside-me

Freaky as hell, I can only watch bits of that show before I have to leave the room. Of course my wife loves it...

Sorry for going a bit off topic but since raw fish was mentioned I thought a semi healthy bit of paranoia was in order
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10   #411
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

"According to their 'experts' most sushi grade fish is flash frozen to kill off potential parasites. "

POTENTIAL parasites are different from actual ones.

mebbe we walk off the curb one day and dont make the other side of street. does that mean do not cross street??

many of us catch fishies as we sail. some of us even eat these yummy delights raw with wasabi and soy, or chile sauce as we sail.
in my cruisers fishie book it shows how to pith fishies for sushi quality and sashimi quality eats.
the book also mentions ciguatera. awesome book. even identifies your catch. my oh my. what a wonder this book is.
so--if you dont die when ye cross a street, mebbe fishing isnt so bad either. go figger--same kind of weird logic as dont do it because of....
dontcha love nanny states.....
btw--they do that because of fda and such bureaucratic mayhem.

i figger if i catch gonnagetme parasite and it takes a buncha years to grow--then i am still fine. i will be dead in a buncha years anyway. i might as well have a good time.
make sure your fish meat is clean--i found worms in sea bass fishies in sd bay--but i still eat some bay caught fish--just not in sd bay...
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10   #412

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Another noncooked fish that taste great!
Ceviche/Seviche

2 pounds fish fillets White fish Caught off the boat
2 cups lemon juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
1/4 cup teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon salt

We carry all of this on the boat and it is easy to fix. No cooking! Yes, we are in an area where the fish is fine to eat raw or cooked in the lime juice overnight. Aloisius
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16   #413

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
According to their 'experts' most sushi grade fish is flash frozen to kill off potential parasites. If you eat one it could be decades before it comes back to haunt you.

Freaky as hell, I can only watch bits of that show before I have to leave the room. Of course my wife loves it...
Parasites in fish? Small fry compared to the parasites mosquitoes can inject into you. I would have posted a photo of an afflicted gentleman, but didn't want his swollen limbs and genitals to freak you out LOL (let me know if you wife wants a photo though )

All the more reason to start digging into the vegemite and marmite - it apparently makes you very unsavoury to mosquitoes .
Old 05-03-2013, 07:18   #414
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i make mine without the white pepper.
i use serano chiles. one does it, minced fine,
garlic minced fine
onion diced
tomato diced
cilantro--lots
limones--2 nice key limes
add fish or shrimp

this is a classic ceviche recipe as made in mexico.

i will find out the recipe for aguachiles as soon as possible, as i enjoy aguachiles de camaron incredibly much.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:21   #415

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Yes that is a great way to fix it.. When we were up north we used cilantro, down here we rarely are able to find it. Thanks for reminding me, I will be on the look out for some. Aloisius
Old 05-03-2013, 07:32   #416

Boat: Lagoon 440

Hence the Wassabi, Chili, Curry or cooking process as far as the food goes anyway, nothing lives through that.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:33   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
"According to their 'experts' most sushi grade fish is flash frozen to kill off potential parasites. "

POTENTIAL parasites are different from actual ones.

mebbe we walk off the curb one day and dont make the other side of street. does that mean do not cross street??

many of us catch fishies as we sail. some of us even eat these yummy delights raw with wasabi and soy, or chile sauce as we sail.
in my cruisers fishie book it shows how to pith fishies for sushi quality and sashimi quality eats.
the book also mentions ciguatera. awesome book. even identifies your catch. my oh my. what a wonder this book is.
so--if you dont die when ye cross a street, mebbe fishing isnt so bad either. go figger--same kind of weird logic as dont do it because of....
dontcha love nanny states.....
btw--they do that because of fda and such bureaucratic mayhem.

i figger if i catch gonnagetme parasite and it takes a buncha years to grow--then i am still fine. i will be dead in a buncha years anyway. i might as well have a good time.
make sure your fish meat is clean--i found worms in sea bass fishies in sd bay--but i still eat some bay caught fish--just not in sd bay...
Sorry, the paranoia bit was me trying to keep things a bit on the lite side. The primary point was simply that you should check for parasites before you eat anything raw, particularly fish. Seems like a lot of these types of posts attract people fairly new to cruising (hell, that's why I'm here). I thought it couldn't hurt to include a small caveat to the overall idea of cutting up a fish and eating it raw fresh off the hook. It sure seemed to surprise the guy who had a worm crawl out across his eyeball several years after eating some home made sushi that treating the fish with vinegar and lime juice doesn't do anything to the parasites. For my part I love sushi, I just prefer to have it sliced thinly and checked closely for wiggles
Old 05-03-2013, 07:33   #418

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Guacamole is a basic food item that your body cannot do without

a couple of mashed ripe avocados
1 finely chopped small onion
1 pressed clove of garlic
juice of 1/2 lime squeezed in
lots of chopped jalapeno peppers (how much? how spicy du you like your guacamole? taste your way there)
salt & pepper

Stir everything well. Then add

a couple of chopped firm tomatoes

You will need lots of corn chips.

You will need even more margaritas/beer etc .

Warning this is addictive
Old 05-03-2013, 07:35   #419

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Oh, yum, that has my mouth watering! I love chilli. My favourite dark chocolate is one infused with chilli (first tasted in picturesque Queenstown in NZ). A match made in heaven . Lindt make a good version.

Back to the subject of tortillas, I find they improve if you wrap them in a couple of sheets of paper towel and place them in a plastic bag for a few hours. The texture is then absolutely perfect .

It is an excellent boat recipe as the ingredients are always on hand and have a long life (unlike the shortening used in conventional tortillas). I make bread regularly, but these are great for a change.
Thanks for the extra info. The trick will be the olive oil ... Don't have a lot of choices

Being a chocolate lover, I bet you would like a traditional Mexican Mole sauce. It is a spicy sauce with chocolate in it, it is great over tamales or enchiladas.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39   #420

Quote:
Parasites in fish? Small fry compared to the parasites mosquitoes can inject into you. I would have posted a photo of an afflicted gentleman, but didn't want his swollen limbs and genitals to freak you out LOL (let me know if you wife wants a photo though )

All the more reason to start digging into the vegemite and marmite - it apparently makes you very unsavoury to mosquitoes .

Ugh, I know! That show lists them all. Nuff said there. Puts me off eating anything...

One mans marmite is another mans Burger King...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: