Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 18:51   #256

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mike View Post
The PaleoDiet cuts out all of the processed nastiness. Mark's Daily Apple is a great resource.

Chef Mike
It's pretty tough hunting moose or deer in the middle of the Atlantic. And I have a pretty good idea most people won't accept Flipper as an alternative
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:32   #257

Here's my 12 week provisioning list, attached, in .PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boat provisioning.pdf (48.0 KB, 130 views)
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 13:57   #258
Marine Service Provider

Boat: DeFever 53 RPH, aCappella
Hannah,

Thanks for the list. I am forever tweaking around with my list - also 12 weeks. It is always interesting to see what others include. I have experimented with freezing some "fresh ingredients" we like to cook with, like peppers. When we purchased our boat they left all the books onboard - great fun! One was called Keeping Food Fresh, no longer in print, that I have turned to for advice, always good.

What type of dog do you have? Twelve weeks for our two Labradors is 120 pounds of dry food. Just got a new shipment last week and needed a golf cart to bring it across the island. But they're worth every pound!
Old 06-12-2010, 14:08   #259

Cap'n Morgan is a 40-pound labradoodle who only eats 4 cups of food on a good day. Days at sea he registers his displeasure by refusing to eat. he is not food motivated, as a consequence he is also untrainable.

For stowage I use hammocks for apples, oranges, lemons, cabbages, both red and green, onions and all kinds of squash and pumpkin. Potatoes are forward where it is cool and dark. Peppers keep either in the yellow food storage lock boxes or in green bags in the fridge for four weeks, that I have tried, maybe longer. Cranberries and carrots keep forever in the fridge. Cut broccoli into florets and they keep in green bags. I counted the other day, I have six kinds of milk on board: regular half gallon, almond milk, kept next to the holding plate so they virtually or actually freeze, dry milk, sweetended condensed, evaporated, and Parmalat. Too many choices, I think. Add to that three kinds of rice, arborio, carolina and basmati, four kinds of vinegar, white, red, balsamic and cider, I think I could cut back a little.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 18:28   #260
Marine Service Provider

Boat: DeFever 53 RPH, aCappella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
he is not food motivated, as a consequence he is also untrainable.
Not food motivated!!!!! That dog must have all "doodle" and little "labra." However, my two pup's are definitely food motivated (especially the male) but only marginally trainable...

I also find the green bags a huge help but I'm not sure I want to know how/why they work.
Old 06-12-2010, 18:48   #261

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if one has nuts and a processor, one is able to make any kind of nut butter one would care to eat. i can imagine what macadamia nut butter would be like with some bananas in between two slices of fresh bread.....
Lightly sauteed plantain slices...on toasted italian bread...

but then again..i like caviar and quail eggs on pizza...

should probably add just a few cashews to the macadamia butter...little better body..also shoud use a very light oil for macadamias...if any..
Old 07-12-2010, 15:39   #262

Having gone through the process of learning to cook, I think having a few of the basics will help. Purchase the book,( no disrespect intended ) "Cooking for dummies." Also, a very excellant book," The Joy of cooking." I have found that the Joy of cooking will help because it covers everything in the world you could want to cook. Also, has measurement equivilents for different systems used throughout the world. And very important cooking temperatures. So you don't wind up having to buy extra theraputic papers.
Learn to cook your favorite recipes on you home stove, then on the type of stove that will be on your boat before you cast off. Having at least 25 good recipes should fulfill a heathty appitite without you hating your favorite food by the time you get back.
Some of the best money I have ever spent was on a Food Saver. Vacuum packing adds shelf life two fold min.
Definitely vitamins. Doctor told me years ago to take multi vit. Asked "What Kind?" He said " take a small glass of vinegar and put 2 or 3 different kinds in it. Whatever desolves the most within 15 min. is your pick. Others may have more stuff in them, but what good is it if they don't get into you system."
Personally, love tomatoes. add whole tomatoes in can to your list.
Marinara sauce: Hunts fire roasted tomatoes with 2 teaspoons of oregano, chopped sauteed onions. Almost a boil, turn down heat, simmer 10 min. Last 5 min throw in raw shrimp. Turn when side down turns pink. Done when other side is pink. Serve over linguine. Do not overcook seafood gets rubbery.
Vinegars: I carry 3. Red wine vinegar. (for salad dressings), balsomic, and cider.
Oils: Mainly olive oil. And vegetable.
Spices: add 2 to your list, Mccormick rotissiory chicken (to die for) and Louisianna cajun. (great on fish)
Canned Meats: some are very good
Try the lipton packit sides. The pasta ones need milk, but the rice ones need only water. I prefer the chicken and broccile one.
Hope this helps, I have other simple tasty recipes. Like my high school favorite Sloppy Joes. You'll never buy canned again.
Best Rich
Three888s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 17:58   #263

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three888s View Post
Try the lipton packit sides. The pasta ones need milk, but the rice ones need only water. I prefer the chicken and broccile one.

Best Rich
They come out fine with UHT, canned or dry milk..

the instant couscous is good too...works well with fish, esp. cooked in a light fish broth which is then thickened a bit and seasoned..
Old 07-12-2010, 21:14   #264

Boat: 1962 Hunter Sedan 38'
Had to skip over most of this thread but things i didn't see and lived off of when i was traveling New Zealand in a van with no refrigerator....

-Canned tuna is too dry on its on, so I would buy the canned flavored tuna and throw that on a cheese bun, and you have a delicious meal in a minute.

-PEANUT BUTTER & JAM SANDWICHES!!!!! Survived off this!

-Doesn't really last for to long, but celery with peanut butter spread inside, mmmmm mmmm good. More of a treat when ever you stock up.

-Another treat is get a few small jars of pickles, I would just make a few sandwiches that day, and then just eat the rest out of the jar.

-Pre-made pasta sauces you can have a few different ones, always add more stuff to them and they are good till you open it. My buddy and I would just use one bag of noodles to one jar of sauce. it would make about 4 servings, so we would have it for dinner and then cold for breakfast. Super easy and you can do it on one burner. just drain the water and dump the sauce in just before the noodles are done.

-in Canada we have these Knorr soups that come in little packets and they make "4" servings, (2 for me). They are soo tasty, and again you can add what ever else you may want such as spices. some need milk and some need water.

-In NZ there is no ketchup flavored potato chips and apparently most of the rest of the world, and I may have a bit of an addiction so this can be a bit of an issue. obious choice is to stock up, but once you run out, Ketchup popcorn seasoning can take its place (in theory). Also different popcorn seasoning, although, it is super easy to make your own seasoning.

And My thoughts on all these cans is to crush them with a hammer or press, and then dispose of them on shore when ever your at a decent port.
Old 07-12-2010, 23:25   #265

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Ice cream.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 00:22   #266

canned tomatoes and tomatoe paste.you can make great pasta sauces with them quickly by adding dried spices like garlic,chilli,basil etc that you buy in a supermarket.you can add the fish you catch or canned tuna,canned corn kernels in water,canned carrots etc.cook it all in one pot/frypan that has a lid and cook the pasta in another pot.make plenty because it will taste even better the next day.as long as you are not in a high heat environment it will keep fine with just the lid on it.
doocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 00:26   #267

yes someone mentioned vinegar.as soon as you catch your fish cut it into bite size pieces and submerge it in a plastic container filled with vinegar and leave it for 30mins,in the fridge if you have one.the vinegar actually cooks the fish,you will see it go white and it melts in your mouth !
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28   #268

has anyone mentioned rice !
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09   #269

Boat: sportscraft,30-power
Quote:
Originally Posted by doocruiser View Post
yes someone mentioned vinegar.as soon as you catch your fish cut it into bite size pieces and submerge it in a plastic container filled with vinegar and leave it for 30mins,in the fridge if you have one.the vinegar actually cooks the fish,you will see it go white and it melts in your mouth !
ok I always wondered if you can make ceviche using vinegar. I guess the answer is yes. Did anyone tried it or have a ceviche recipe using vinegar?

also what kind of vinegar should be used?
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:34   #270
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
-Canned tuna is too dry on its on, so I would buy the canned flavored tuna and throw that on a cheese bun, and you have a delicious meal in a minute.

-PEANUT BUTTER & JAM SANDWICHES!!!!! Survived off this!

-Doesn't really last for to long, but celery with peanut butter spread inside, mmmmm mmmm good. More of a treat when ever you stock up.

-Another treat is get a few small jars of pickles, I would just make a few sandwiches that day, and then just eat the rest out of the jar.

-Pre-made pasta sauces you can have a few different ones, always add more stuff to them and they are good till you open it. My buddy and I would just use one bag of noodles to one jar of sauce. it would make about 4 servings, so we would have it for dinner and then cold for breakfast. Super easy and you can do it on one burner. just drain the water and dump the sauce in just before the noodles are done.

-in Canada we have these Knorr soups that come in little packets and they make "4" servings, (2 for me). They are soo tasty, and again you can add what ever else you may want such as spices. some need milk and some need water.

-In NZ there is no ketchup flavored potato chips and apparently most of the rest of the world, and I may have a bit of an addiction so this can be a bit of an issue. obious choice is to stock up, but once you run out, Ketchup popcorn seasoning can take its place (in theory). Also different popcorn seasoning, although, it is super easy to make your own seasoning.
ogh my god the human race is doomed......

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote