Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 15:37   #31
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Tom Kar Gai (Thai Chicken Soup)

oh hello... made this last week... yumm...

WHAT YOU NEED

Good quality Chinese chicken stock - 1 cup
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Fresh or frozen lemongrass - 1/2 a stalk
Galangal - fresh - 6 slices
Kaffir Lime Leaves - 2 (hand-torn)
Thai bird's eye chillies (or Serrano chillies) - 2-3 (big slices so you can avoid them easily)
(If you don't have any of the above, Amazon ships a package of all the fresh ingredients you need for the soup.)
Fish sauce - 1 tbsp (The saltiness can vary a lot across brands, so start with less always.)
Lime juice - 2 tbsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Coriander (cilantro for the Americans) leaves - 2 tbsp
Boneless chicken breast - 50 gm (chopped)
Straw mushrooms (or regular button mushrooms) - 4 (sliced)
HOW TO MAKE IT

For the lemongrass, use only the bottom white part (about 6 inches) and discard the woody grass part of it. With the flat side of a cleaver or a heavy object, pound and bruise the lemongrass so it releases the flavour. Cut into 2 inch segments. (Watch yourself with the cleaver, please. We only want to bruise the lemongrass, not your fingers.)
Put the stock into a pot and bring to a boil. Toss the galangal, lemongrass, sugar, and lime leaves in. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, chillies, fish sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Finally, add the chicken and mushrooms and cook till the chicken is just cooked. The moment you see it turning all white on the outside, it's 90% done.
Turn off the heat, add lime juice and garnish with coriander leaves. Test for saltiness and sourness. You should get the earthy flavour of galangal, noticeable amount of saltiness, sweetness from the coconut milk, and a fair bit of lime flavour, with a hint of chilli in the background. If required, adjust with more fish sauce (salt) and lemon juice (sour).
(Why do I add the lime juice at the end instead of adding it with everything else, you ask? Because the flavour of the lime gets mellowed when it's cooked. You need it fresh and bursting on your tongue.)
Pretty simple, ain't it?
CHEF'S NOTES

1) This tastes great with prawns (shrimp) or mixed seafood instead of chicken. To turn this into Tom Kha Goong (Prawns), use prawns instead of chicken but add it only in the final 1 minute of cooking. Prawns cook very fast and will continue to cook in the warm stock. Overcooking them will turn them tough and leathery. Frozen prawns (nude) suck. Don't use them.
For a mixed seafood soup, add some fish chunks (use a mild-tasting fish) and some squid (calamari.) Add the fish to the soup a couple of minutes before the prawns, and add the squid at the same time as the prawns.

Oh, and I have not forgotten you vegetarian people either. You can make a Tom Kha Hed with mushrooms instead of chicken. Add a variety of mushrooms if you can (I love Shitake mushrooms). Don't like mushrooms? Use other veggies. Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. Use 1/2 tsp salt instead of the fish sauce. Add a couple of pieces of tofu if you like. There, you're done, amigo!
2) Galangal has no real substitute. Ginger does a poor job. In this soup especially, the whole point is the galangal flavour, so ginger simply won't do. (Tom Kha means "boiled galangal".)
3) This recipe makes a soup that's not as rich as you might have had at other restaurants. This is simply my personal preference because most of my customers order it as a soup course instead of something to eat with rice as Thai people have it. So I didn't want to weigh their tummies down. If that's the kind of soup you prefer, however, you can replace the coconut milk in this recipe with half coconut milk and half coconut cream. Reserve a tablespoon of coconut cream to stir into the soup at the end of cooking. If you're not a fan of the lime flavour, reduce the amount of lime juice too.
4) If you've seen this soup with a reddish hue, it's probably because some Nam Prik Pao (roasted chilli paste) was added instead of the regular fresh chillies. I'm not a fan of doing that, but it's up to you. I've also seen versions that use dried red chilli flakes to add flavour.
5) Good chicken stock is very simple to make. Take 1 kg chicken wings, throw in a couple of drumsticks for meat, put it in a tall stock pot, cover with 2 litres cold water, and bring to a simmer. When the scum rises to the top, skim to another bowl with a shallow spoon. This should take 10-20 minutes. When the stock is clear, toss in 4 spring onions (scallions; use only the white part), 5-6 slices ginger, and a teaspoon of black peppercorns. Let this simmer for 2-3 hours (it should only bubble). Two rules for good stock: a) do not stir and b) do not boil (or it will become cloudy instead of clear.)
After the stock has finished simmering, let it stand for 20 minutes and then using a fine mesh sieve, strain it into another bowl. Using a muslin cloth would be a good idea. Your stock is ready. If you leave it in the fridge, the fat will solidify on the top. Just remove this fat and you have de-fatted, unsalted stock ready for use. You can even reduce the liquid and make stock cubes in the freezer.
6) The strength of lemongrass and lime juice may vary in your part of the world, so use your nose and your tongue to judge proper quantities. When in doubt, use more lemongrass but less lime juice. Then adjust gradually.
In temperate climates, you may not get limes. If so, use lemon juice instead, and use more of it than prescribed here.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 16:30   #32
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: The Coconut Thread

all recommend against the consumption of significant amounts of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat.

Coconut: good fat or bad? - Health & Wellbeing

Tropical Oils[/

These are also the same entities that were telling us to eat margarine a few years ago because its was "good" for us. Follow the money and you will see their logic. There are plenty of studies showing Island populations getting the majority of their fat from coconut oil with hardly any incidence of heart or artery disease. Read deeper into the difference between medium chain fatty acids and long chain fatty acids.Did they mention that when a portion of dietary at was replaced with coconut fat loss of body fat occurred?

The plain truth about coconut oil
Error 404 – Page Not Found on Site
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 20:01   #33

Boat: Hopefully a cruising Catamaran about 40'.
Coconut Trivia :

• Coconut received the name from the Portuguese sailors of Vasco da Gama in India, who first brought them to Europe. • The biggest coconut producers in the world are Philippines, Indonesia and India.
• It is claimed that 150 people are killed per year by falling coconuts.
• Coconut oil was the world's leading vegetable oil up until 1960s.
• Every part of the coconut palms has some human uses and they have a high yield of 75 fruits per year.
• Coconut water or juice is naturally found in coconuts and should not be confused with coconut milk, which is made by processing grated coconut with hot milk or water.

• Fatty acids in coconut may play an anti-inflammatory role in a similar way to fish oils. • Protein found in coconut may have antioxidant properties.
• Coconut oil has been shown to contain saturated fatty acids with antiviral and antibacterial properties.
• The fresh coconut water is a safe and useful rehydration drink for sickness and diarrhoea.
• Coconut is not all about fat as it also contains a good amount of fiber and protein.
• Coconut may help you with weight loss, by increasing the metabolic rate and help the body burn fat more effectively.

According to Coconut Nutrition Facts
DazeAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 20:35   #34

Post Coconut Nutrition Info

Here is some info from NutritionData.com (Nutrition Label such as the ones found on the back of everyday food packaging) :

Raw coconut meat - Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, coconut meat, raw

Coconut Milk/Water - Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, coconut water (liquid from coconuts)

Here is part of the info from a more in depth from nal.usda.gov and coconutresearchcenter.org :

The complete information can be found as a pdf file @ http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/nutrition-2.pdf
Old 12-10-2011, 17:45   #35

Coconut Drink Recipes - Alcoholic and Non

Here are some coconut drink recipes, I added some non-alcoholic recipes for the people who don't drink, and I tried to insure the ingredients involved would be easier to find in or around a boat's galley, if not I added a substitute. Enjoy.

Alcoholic Recipes :

Coconut drink
(1) banana
(1) Half a coconut and all its water
(1) Half a lime
(1) inch of fresh vanilla
(2) oranges

Juice the oranges and lime and add the juice to the blender. Add all other ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. Either strain or drink as is. If you have a juicer, juice the coconut and banana, and add the juice to the mixture, stirring back in as much pulp as you like for the consistency you desire.

( From Coconut Drink Recipes - The best coconut mixed drinks and more )

Beachcomber #2

Ingredients

1 oz. Vodka
1 1/2 oz. White Rum
6 Strawberries
1 Banana
1/2 oz. Coconut Milk
1/4 oz. Lime Juice
1/2 oz. Grenadine

Instructions

Frappe and pour into a highball glass. Garnish with cinnamon.

- Of course I'm sure you wont be using a highball glass on a boat.

Grenadine Substitutes: unsweetened pomegranate juice (preferred by many who consider grenadine to be cloyingly sweet) OR crème de cassis OR raspberry syrup OR cocktail cherry juice OR pomegranate molasses (not nearly as sweet) OR cranberry juice cocktail concentrate
( Cook's Thesaurus: Syrups & Other Liquid Sweeteners )

OR you can make you own syrup, here's a recipe : RecipeSource: Grenadine Syrup
( You can also use cherry fruit / juice or raspberry juice / fruit with this recipe. I highly recommend raspberries )

Unforgettable Night

Ingredients

4 oz. Absolut Vodka
1 tbsp. Chocolate Liqueur
1 oz. Coconut Milk
1 tsp. Tabasco
dash(es) Lime Juice

Instructions

Pour all the ingredients into a chilled collins glass (or whatever you may have available). Stir until they are mixed evenly. It's going to be a long, unforgetable night!!

Chocolate Liqueur Substitutes: crème de cacao (sweeter) OR Cheri Suisse OR Vandermint OR Tiramisu liqueur OR chocolate syrup OR coffee liqueur OR chocolate extract (use much less) OR chocolate syrup
( http://www.foodsubs.com/LiqueurChoc.html )

Ponche de Pina (pineapple punch)

Ingredients

3 Pineapples
3 cup(s) Water
3 Cinnamon Sticks
2 tsp. Cloves
2 tsp. Allspice
3/4 cup(s) Sugar
1 cup(s) Coconut Milk
1 quart(s) White Rum

Instructions

Peel pineapples, chop or shred. Add water and let stand overnight. Put in large saucepan with spices, sugar, and coconut milk. Boil for 5 minutes. Strain liquid into large pitcher. Add rum and serve hot.

( From http://www.barnonedrinks.com/ - site has a little too many video ads )

NON-ALCOHOLIC :

Coconut Milk Drink Recipe

Someone's recipe they figured out after trying to get the thickness of canned coconut milk down and to get it close to a Chinese counterpart.
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 2 cups water (or a little more than that)
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla and some truvia to taste
  • OR 1 Tbsp sugar-free vanilla syrup (like the kind you can get for coffee)

Coco Pineapple Delight ( Party Drinks )

Coco pineapple delight, the soft, soothing flavour of fresh coconut water and coconut meat combines in an interesting manner with the sweet and tangy pineapple to make a really refreshing drink. Serve it directly in fancy glasses with garnishes of your choice. Even better, serve it in coconut shells for an irresistible tropical look and feel. Glass used: of your choice.
Preparation Time: 15 mins

Makes 4 glasses

Ingredients
4 cups pineapple cubes
2 cups fresh coconut water
1 cup tender coconut meat
4 tbsp sugar syrup
1 cup crushed ice

For The Garnish
4 mixed fruit wheel
s

Method
  • Combine all the ingredients, except the crushed ice, and blend in a mixer till smooth.
  • In each glass, place ¼ cup of crushed ice and pour equal quantity of the juice over it.
  • Serve immediately garnished with a pineapple wheel in each glass.

Handy tip
  • When pineapple is not season, you can use tinned pineapple slices and omit the sugar syrup since tinned apple is already sweet.

( Coco Pineapple Delight ( Party Drinks ) recipe | Party Drink Recipes | by Tarla Dalal | Tarladalal.com | #33182 )

Old 13-10-2011, 06:54   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dont have a blender but i do have access to many coconuts--i have a green one and a ripe one now. will open and eat soon.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 07:16   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
dont have a blender but i do have access to many coconuts--i have a green one and a ripe one now. will open and eat soon.....
soon to be a LOT of coconuts on the market after the big wind!!!!!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 07:33   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

a hurrycame here would make a biiiiig mess........i have been eyeing some lovelies way high up -- have many trees near me, all full of coconuts....

sarafina--how do i get ye to make that for me---i have the coconuts.....and i can get shrimpies...........hurry cruising--we NEED a dock party with that yum soup!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 11:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
Now, I need to find a way to blend drinks decently with out a blender, all I can figure out at the moment is to chop everything well that needs blending and blending the ingredients by hand. If I find another way I will post it.

I did find this - Drill Blender | Shop Tailgating Ideas

Kind of cool if you have a drill, electricity, and enjoy mixing drinks.
Old 13-10-2011, 12:57   #40

Boat: a sailing boat

Ye, I like em too:
- fresh/green - for drink and the soft meat,
- brown off the beach/bush - for drink and the hard meat,
- sprouting - for the sponge.

You must have noticed the green ones taste differently depending on the stage.

And the sponge can be eaten raw or fried. Yummie!

What we have never tried is the heart ;-). Next time, some adventures are still out there to take!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 13:28   #41
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

They sell the coco water here in Panama on the street for practically nothing. They throw in a bit of meat also,,,,,yummy. It is also said to be a cancer fighter too?.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 13:33   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
They sell the coco water here in Panama on the street for practically nothing. They throw in a bit of meat also,,,,,yummy. It is also said to be a cancer fighter too?.......i2f
Zen to Fitness – The Benefits of Eating Coconut
Cancer Fighter

It keeps getting better, coconut has been proven to have anti-cancer effects especially of the colon and breast. This is due to the oils protective nature and ability to safeguard the body from infection whilst cleansing your system.
Old 13-10-2011, 13:47   #43

Another thing I LOVE is a cuppa of strong esspresso half and half with hot coconut cream. OMG.

b.
Old 13-10-2011, 13:48   #44

Boat: Skookum 53'

Though we don't get a lot of coconuts washing ashore here. I have used a piece of ree bar stuck in the ground to strip off the husk in other places. Some one's abandoned house foundation seems to work quite well.
Old 13-10-2011, 15:14   #45

Yep. We too husk with whatever there is. Often just a piece of shell.

The green ones I open by making three cuts with my long knife.

b.