Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2014, 12:13   #31

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tea Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
... The Harrods Darjeeling I get is No. 26, but I have just found this one online that looks as if it may meet your 'exceptional' criteria:
Harrods - Opulence Darjeeling Ambootia Tea (125g) at Harrods

My, my. I'm transmorgifying pounds to dollas...carry the 7... umm ...WOW!

I had to take my socks off to do the maths but I figure that tea at $27.59 US per 125 grams. As I vaguely recall there are 28 g in an ounce ... so ka ching ka chang ... let's call it 4.5 ozs, making it ,,, ,,, ****... ^^^^^ ... ... about ... $98 a pound.

Not as bad as I thought, and way cheaper than pot for an old sot. The Bigelow Earl Grey, which is OK, compares favorably at ~$34 a pound. Still ... thinking ... thinking ... thinking ...... ... thinking some more

So, all up, an outstanding world-class tea, perhaps even the world's best is a mere 3x the price of swillish pond scum. And likely cheaper online as I've been to Harrods and it was rather pricey. My kids were fascinated by an Arab sheik & entourage while we were there.

I'll be barred from the $500/mo threads but I might try it.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 13:18   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Tea Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
So, all up, an outstanding world-class tea, perhaps even the world's best is a mere 3x the price of swillish pond scum. And likely cheaper online as I've been to Harrods and it was rather pricey. My kids were fascinated by an Arab sheik & entourage while we were there.

Don't you just love CF .

(Harrods' Earl Grey comes in at a bargain basement $47 a pound, plus postage and is even cheaper boxed, not tinned. Gosh, I am cheap to keep )

There must be some superb tea online without the markup that the Harrods' and F&M's labels must automatically dub it with. Anyone care to share names and sources?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 13:50   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
so what do you find to be the best morning beer?
The nearest.

Coops.
Old 29-03-2014, 14:10   #34

Ya know, the folks in AA say that drinking in the morning is a sure sing of alcoholism. But, what do they know...just a bunch of drunks.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 14:37   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No one has mentioned the pesticide residue. I put the question on CF as we have lifelong tea drinkers.
Quote:
Crabby, I have just checked out Ambootia. The group own and operate a large chunk of the best tea gardens in Darjeeling. The Ambootia garden itself has been classed as the "best of the best". Their summer crops (= second flush) are used for the above Harrods' tea and these produce the most prized flavour.

To top it off they farm organically, so you can say goodbye to pesky pesticides when sipping on their brews .

Old 29-03-2014, 14:54   #36

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I drink neither tea or coffee, life seems more simple that way. It's complicated enough deciding which beer to drink.

Coops.
Lol Coops I get so lost sometimes in a home brew or tap house and there's over 100 on tap.

Anyhow I was sifting through the ashes at my house and in the kitchen pops has a older stainless steel gizmo that is spring loaded ment for lose tea. I bet you could put a nice corse ground coffee into. Then you can dump the grinds out and dip into a cup of water to shale off the other grinds. If I only knew what it was called or could take a picture of it. He has had it for as long as I remember.

I know what you mean for how well a french press does do. There's just some things that is hard to break away from.

For being used to brewed coffee what a shocker all I could find besides the icky, instant, not fresh powered flavor coffee was a Americana coffee. Which is just a watered down expresso in my trip to OZ.

I've at times when roughing it and was by a fire just threw the grinds in my tin cup put the cup near the fire and scooped the grinds out. When ready but that's no help for your disposal of grinds.

Now if the tea drinkers know what u mean and can name that tea strainer or loose tea brewer thingy......

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 15:04   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
My, my. I'm transmorgifying pounds to dollas...carry the 7... umm ...WOW!

I had to take my socks off to do the maths but I figure that tea at $27.59 US per 125 grams. As I vaguely recall there are 28 g in an ounce ... so ka ching ka chang ... let's call it 4.5 ozs, making it ,,, ,,, ****... ^^^^^ ... ... about ... $98 a pound.

Not as bad as I thought, and way cheaper than pot for an old sot. The Bigelow Earl Grey, which is OK, compares favorably at ~$34 a pound. Still ... thinking ... thinking ... thinking ...... ... thinking some more

Hi, Crab

If You feel the 16.95 pounds per 125 grams of Ambootia is too cheap and not exclusive enough, You can always go for this kind , and it will probably satisfy You at 30 pounds per 125 grams

By the way - did anybody ever heard of boat samovar???

You know, russian caravan tea SHOULD BE brewed this way...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 15:11   #38

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tea Time

Quote:
Crabby, I have just checked out Ambootia. The group own and operate a large chunk of the best tea gardens in Darjeeling. The Ambootia garden itself has been classed as the "best of the best". Their summer crops (= second flush) are used for the above Harrods' tea and these produce the most prized flavour.

To top it off they farm organically, so you can say goodbye to pesky pesticides when sipping on their brews .
Oh [bowing], I am thanking you fair Lassie. [attempting Indian accent]

I once saw a beauty from Darjeeling
And an amourous glance for her I was stealing
She looked back my way
I am happy to say
But her look said "Sir, for you I have no feeling."

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 18:22   #39

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

What a fun thread! I love the suggestions from the true tea lovers. My sisters are all big tea drinkers. They are big fans of Harney & Sons in Connecticut.

I drink tea on the boat because my husband likes impossibly strong coffee and that french press is, as you describe, really really messy. I think it will disappear soon, as I end up cleaning it most of the time. Anyway, I like Twinings Earl Grey in teabags. I don't put anything in it, usually. I don't much like the Bigelow Earl Grey, for some reason. Green tea gives me a headache, so that is out.

This summer, we will be spending a lot of time on the boat at the dock, and we will use our Keurig when we are plugged in. Tea for me when we are out and about.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 18:48   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Tea Time

Why are French presses messy( we call the cafetiers ) I have been dumping the grains with the trash or over the side.

Personally I prefer pour over

Tea. , well Strong black tea for me , I drink it without milk with is unusual around these parts. Scald the pot , ensure rolling boil. Then sit for 30 sec. Longer for the milk takers.

Are you milk in first or last types ?

I always drink coffee in the morning , but here tea is a religion and my wife will brew anything upto 8-10 pots a day at times . Great hot weather drink too

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29-03-2014, 19:34   #41

I like to toss my milk in first only milk. I can have it black to in the right enviroment. A nice whole organic moo juice. No half an half.

Tomorrow I'm going to go back to the house and snap a picture of that thingy we have that would be good for a corse ground bean.

Tea I'll have with no milk and 1 pouch or teaspoon of sugar.

Kinda backwards eh?

Old 30-03-2014, 04:27   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderinlost View Post

Now if the tea drinkers know what u mean and can name that tea strainer or loose tea thiny....
Is this what you mean?

Stainless Steel Tea Infuser Strainer Mesh Ball Spoon Spring Enclosure | eBay
Old 30-03-2014, 04:55   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I use a little SS basket with supporting handles and brew most tea for 2:30 minutes. A timer is really useful if you are anything like me and get distracted and forget all about the time .

It is so simple to use - when done I just pop the strainer in the sink to drain and then later throw the leaves in the rubbish or overboard. If you are lazy or conserving water, the strainer doesn't even need to be rinsed. A light tap before the next use easily gets rid of any loose leaves once they are bone dry. It is not much harder than reaching for a tea bag and the quality of the tea is dramatically better, even when using the same brand for each .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	78466  

Old 30-03-2014, 05:02   #44

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

The coffee grounds issue is vexing. When I re built my grey water system I included a check valve to prevent pump cycling...even a minor contamination from Coffee grounds defeats the check valve.....so zero grounds in the sink is mandetory. Even so, I cannot convert to tea, oh the horror's! No, I will struggle with the grounds and absorb the cost of paper towels, rags and cleaning supplies. Java!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 05:27   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Bingo! A tea infuser. That saves me a trip to the ashes today.