Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 16:08   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Tea Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Crabbie,

I don't understand your problem! Disposal of the grounds from my tatty old coffee press is pretty simple and has NEVER clogged up a sink drain: I stagger up the companionway and dump them overboard. What's so hard about that?
Don't all sailors do this? What else can you do with the grounds? I just don't know any other way to deal with them. You can't dump them down the drain. You can't put them in the trash. I fill the French press (a stainless steel vacuum insulated one) with the old grounds with water, and take a spoon with me topsides. I stir vigorously to get the grounds into suspension, then toss overboard downwind. Then I wash the pot, and make a new pot. Et voila. But it's a bit of a hassle. The Nespresso is orders of magnitude easier. Tea is also much easier.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 16:23   #17

Boat: Bristol 32

Been a tea drinker all my life. Try darjeeling, the champaigne of teas. I buy it bulk, use one of those springloaded diffusers. Easy, quick.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 16:32   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You know that except for the US a lot of the world uses instant coffee. Not very messy.
I travel a lot around PNG. Even when staying in hotels in the Highlands where they produce great coffee, I have to carry a container of ground coffee and a plunger mug to avoid that instant cr*p in the hotel rooms.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 16:43   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Just as you can't find fine gourmet food conveniently ready to consume in tins, when it comes to tea the "good stuff" unfortunately doesn't come in tea bags. I feel qualified to comment, as I am a connoisseur here of all things both good and naughty .
Just being curious - what is (or are) Your favourite tea(s) ?

Mine is Fortnum and Mason Russian Caravan, but I also love Keemun, Yunnan, Darjeeling and Lapsang Souchong from F&M.
I have also good source for Yunnan Golden Mist from local small importer in Warsaw and I like to add it to F&M Yunnan
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 22:11   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I travel a lot around PNG. Even when staying in hotels in the Highlands where they produce great coffee, I have to carry a container of ground coffee and a plunger mug to avoid that instant cr*p in the hotel rooms.
All the good stuff gets exported (only a slight exaggeration).
I think PNG's Blue Mountain coffee is absolutely superb. Maybe the lack of money to spend on pesticides and fertilisers contributes to the superior flavour. I have just arrived back on board and a couple of kgs somehow found their way into my suitcase (vacuum sealed in small packs).

Unfortunately I just can't get decent beans in Greece, so buying freshly roasted stuff regularly here in small quantities is just not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Just being curious - what is (or are) Your favourite tea(s) ?

Mine is Fortnum and Mason Russian Caravan, but I also love Keemun, Yunnan, Darjeeling and Lapsang Souchong from F&M.
I have also good source for Yunnan Golden Mist from local small importer in Warsaw and I like to add it to F&M Yunnan
Current favourite is Harrods Earl Grey. Unlike any other Earl Grey I have had. A few packs also managed to sneak their way into my bulging suitcase, along with a couple of Darjeeling .

I've never developed a taste for Lapsang Souchong, but then again I dislike really peaty single malt as well.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 22:14   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I drink neither tea or coffee, life seems more simple that way. It's complicated enough deciding which beer to drink.

Coops.
Old 28-03-2014, 22:22   #22

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tea Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Don't all sailors do this? What else can you do with the grounds? I just don't know any other way to deal with them. You can't dump them down the drain. You can't put them in the trash. I fill the French press (a stainless steel vacuum insulated one) with the old grounds with water, and take a spoon with me topsides. I stir vigorously to get the grounds into suspension, then toss overboard downwind. Then I wash the pot, and make a new pot. Et voila. But it's a bit of a hassle. The Nespresso is orders of magnitude easier. Tea is also much easier.

Downwind?????? This may explain my peeing and spitting problems too.

Seriously tho, I overstated my "french press" gizmo. What I have is more of a mug plunger per StuM and while I have a way to run a Nespresso without shorepower, I just wouldn't do it. The grounds issue, seemingly simple, has overcomplicated my existence enough already. I did get the drain seacock partially cleared ... a small victory over failing systems.

I am still going with tea for the time being. The green tea "fad" here in the US, if that's what it is, interests me healthwise, but I'm also looking for a stouter black morning tea as mentioned by others. Thanks for the outstanding suggestions.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 03:09   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Tea?

Strange to relate the best tea I have ever come across is in Chile... leaf tea... leaves as big as the trimmings from your big toe...

You will find dodgy stuff there such as Dilma teabags which seem to be the sweepings from a warehouse floor but the real stuff at the top price is always 'Ceylon Tea'.

Even where it says country of origin on the box it will say ' Product of Sri Lanka ... used to be called Ceylon'...

A bonzer brew....

And 'onces' ... elevenses... at any hour of the day is something which makes the japanese tea ceremony look like fast food....
Old 29-03-2014, 03:40   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Current favourite is Harrods Earl Grey. Unlike any other Earl Grey I have had. A few packs also managed to sneak their way into my bulging suitcase, along with a couple of Darjeeling .

I've never developed a taste for Lapsang Souchong, but then again I dislike really peaty single malt as well.
I must check if Harrods is selling on Internet to Poland - not all British based companies do.
As for Lapsang - I use it only as digestive, just after the meal
But I must admit my Dearest Beauty doesn't like it at all
She also doesn't like the Yunnan Golden Mist Royal, as it is peaty as well
Still I'm looking around for new Darjeelings - I have a feeling I'm still to discover the really exceptional one

Cheers

Tomasz
Old 29-03-2014, 04:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Tea?

Strange to relate the best tea I have ever come across is in Chile... leaf tea... leaves as big as the trimmings from your big toe...

You will find dodgy stuff there such as Dilma teabags which seem to be the sweepings from a warehouse floor but the real stuff at the top price is always 'Ceylon Tea'.

Even where it says country of origin on the box it will say ' Product of Sri Lanka ... used to be called Ceylon'...

A bonzer brew....

And 'onces' ... elevenses... at any hour of the day is something which makes the japanese tea ceremony look like fast food....
I love colorful writing.
Old 29-03-2014, 04:56   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I drink neither tea or coffee, life seems more simple that way. It's complicated enough deciding which beer to drink.

Coops.
so what do you find to be the best morning beer?
Old 29-03-2014, 05:29   #27

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
It's any beer that, with only a reasonable amount of effort, can be opened.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-03-2014, 05:45   #28

Quote:
As one of the most interesting men in the world, I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink it in the morning.
Old 29-03-2014, 09:45   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
I must check if Harrods is selling on Internet to Poland - not all British based companies do.
This is the one I buy (they call it No. 42):
Harrods - Luxury beauty and fragrance, fashion accessories, gifts

It is also available boxed rather than tinned, but I could not find that online.
It is just a lovely way of starting the day, particularly watching sunrise in the cockpit .

Quote:
Still I'm looking around for new Darjeelings - I have a feeling I'm still to discover the really exceptional one
The Harrods Darjeeling I get is No. 26, but I have just found this one online that looks as if it may meet your 'exceptional' criteria:
Harrods - Opulence Darjeeling Ambootia Tea (125g) at Harrods

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 10:09   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This is the one I buy (they call it No. 42):
Harrods - Luxury beauty and fragrance, fashion accessories, gifts

It is also available boxed rather than tinned, but I could not find that online.
It is just a lovely way of starting the day, particularly watching sunrise in the cockpit .

The Harrods Darjeeling I get is No. 26, but I have just found this one online that looks as if it may meet your 'exceptional' criteria:
Harrods - Opulence Darjeeling Ambootia Tea (125g) at Harrods
Thank You for the tips