Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 15:26   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Tea Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Damn that short term memory loss!
ahuh........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 15:36   #77

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Capt.58sailing,

Might that have been Russian Caravanserai tea?

Ann
Old 01-06-2014, 17:15   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Thanks for nuttin', Weav. I wouldn't/couldn't go thru all that rigamarole for genuine nymph nectar.

I get that on your 'coming cat the galley will be exactly like shoreside facilities or a Navy carrier but out in the deep blue sea, or even here in the green water of my slip, sucking elec from that yellow power cord like a leach on the backside of Charlie Allnut, there is constant, often significant movement as I am not in a marina, per se, but open to the passing unwashed.

No Mate, gimme the simple life. I want one super-sized cuppa java, and I want it NOW and not too fricken hot. Lately I've taken to guesstimating the length o time to heat the water to avoid having to wait til it cools.

I'm a common man with a common plan, Sir; my dog ain't got no pedigree.

Forget "The Captain's Log!" I am switching to the THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: DOING THE JAVA JIVE ON BOARD BIANKA.
Another tip: Use Bailey's Irish Cream or Amerula instead of milk. They don't need refrigeration too. Add a Blueberry muffin and a sunrise and it's a pinch me moment.
Old 01-06-2014, 17:23   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well being a southern girl, I always had Ice tea growing up and still prefer it though without ice on da boat. I was in my 20's before I found out that Ice tea could be made unsweetened. Back in the day, going to a restaurant or diner in the south, ice tea always came sweetened. I was totally shocked that Ice tea came unsweetened outside the south. Who knew....

Anyway, I being the cheap er that is frugal sailor, buy only the best generic black tea at 200 bags for $2.00. I brew 4 bags at a time in my 2 quart pot of the stove and make 2 liters of tea which lasts me 2 days or so. I use to use a 1/2 gallon plastic mike jug for ice tea storage, but now have upgraded to clear plastic 2 liter soad bottles for tea storage. nowadays I use artificial sweetener as my body does not tolerate sugar so much anymore.

At $500 a month thouse fancy teas at $4-$5 per 20 bad box just does not do it.

BTW I have never had a cup of coffee in my life. Still a coffee virgin. Weird girl. I know. But think all the money I've not given starbucks :-)
I make sun tea on the stern. I have a recycled clear Euopean Ovaltine glass jar . Put a couple of tea bags in, fill it with water, put the cover on and let it sit outside the coaming on the stern as the boat gently rocks all that flavor out of the tea. I don't even sweeten it. Still refreshing on a hot summer day. Also do the same with Green Tea too.
Old 01-06-2014, 18:46   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 01-06-2014, 18:55   #81

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tea Time

I'm still stuck on SC being a coffee virgin.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 19:08   #82

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB75 View Post
Another solution to boat coffee is a stovetop espresso maker :
This nails it everytime!
If you want to get the crew out of bed without any moans or groans, just place one of these on the stove and set it going - the aroma of perfect coffee would walk the dead. Mix this with the smell of bacon or sausage sandwiches on the go, and you'll have friends for life. (unless they're vegetarians)
Old 02-06-2014, 02:21   #83

Boat: Skookum 53'

I really have no idea what the tea was, but I loved it. The store went out of business a long time ago, and I changed my way of living (darn!). I used to use an Italian expresso maker on my stove top that worked well. Anymore, I like green tea or mint, when I take tea.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:17   #84
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

When Im in tampa I stop at a place called sanwas. they have 5lb bags of green and oolong tea for $7 One bag lasts me a year of morning pots of tea. My routine is to take a saucepan and put a 3 finger pinch in. When done I strain it into a carafe with a small stainless strainer. I keep a stainless container in the galley for food waste. Thats where the leaves end up. The vacuum carafe keeps the tea hot for a long time. I found it at a thrift store used for a $1. I wish I could go all organic. The prices would leave starving at my budget. I do stay away from the dirty dozen and concentrate on the clean 15 when shopping.

I gave up on coffee a few years back, Was having health problems related to stress after the wife passed away and coffee exacerbated the issues.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18   #85

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I roast my own coffee.

Here is a device I use for making filter coffee. No mess. Just lob the dry filter and coffee over the side. Biodegradable.This is a two day old Colombian bean which we imported to try for the roastery... I made this just for the video. I prefer coffee after 3 days... and if kept well, great espresso can be made up to 15 days. A mature bean can produce the most amazing taste.

After watching the video I understand why you need the stability of a cat. try that on a mono..
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:06   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
After watching the video I understand why you need the stability of a cat. try that on a mono..
You have gimbals..no?
fill it a little less.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:12   #87

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
You have gimbals..no?
fill it a little less.

I actually bolted a gimbal mount onto our bow and stern - solved the age-old monohull rolling issue straight away!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:22   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
I actually bolted a gimbal mount onto our bow and stern - solved the age-old monohull rolling issue straight away!
I like your thinking
Old 02-06-2014, 11:53   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An aside.

I have a half Siamese cat. Very verbal, super friendly and talks to you all the time. After clinic this morning, I went out to the #3 nephews boat and we started adjusting the rigging. a little rain, but not too bad.

When I came home, I put the kettle on and went to get changed in the bedroom. The cat was curled up on the bed. I had shut the bedroom door behind me and had gone into the shower.

When I came out, as is the cats habit, when he wants to leave the room, he stands right in front of the door and stares intently at the handle. He will stand there for a long time and say nothing..

I saw him whilst getting dried and went over and opened the door, normally I do it slowly and he slips around the opening.. this time I wasnt thinking and just opened it. It caught him square on and tumbled him backwards.. he picked himself up and went round the door. When he got to the top of ths stairs, he looked back at me and Siamese yelled at me with a look of "you frickin' idiot" and walked off down the stairs.....

I couldnt stop laughing and when I made my coffee in the kitchen, I was still laughing. He actually turned his back on me ! Occasional glances in my direction but his dignity had been well and truly affronted... Sorry Cat.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:54   #90

Boat: Skookum 53'

My dog actually learned how to open the door, so I have to lock it if I want to keep him in or out. All this talk about coffee, made me go out and buy a programable coffee maker, no good on the boat, but will work wonders in the house. I did get the metal screen basket, so I won't be throwing the paper ones away, did my bit for the environment today.