Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2013, 19:46   #76

Boat: Still building
Re: Tea for Two

SWL - those "flat pancake" thingies are called pikelets. And you an Aussie, for shame! lol
Pikelets Recipe - Taste.com.au

Here's a pic of my tea collection - only the Twinings Orange Pekoe bags go on the boat, the rest is for 'serious afternoon tea ritual' only.

The pot is double-walled stainless and keeps hot the whole pot thru, and more importantly, has a removable steeping basket - essential to keep the brew consistent from first to last cup, as otherwise it 'stews' and goes tannin-bitter. Water should be 'just' boiled, as it needs to reach 100C (point at which water boils at sea level) to ensure a good brew.

You must also remember to pre-warm the pot AND the cup, especially in winter..!

The cup is an English 'Duchess Pottery' Large Breakfast Cup in the early eighties 'Astor' pattern (single gold rim to cup and saucer, detail on handle). It is the last of my six cups purchased 25 years ago, and alas, since the demise of the old Duchess Pottery, no longer available. I have searched eBay and elsewhere for replacements, but only the smaller 'tea cups' seem to be available. The Large Breakfast Cup is 4" (100mm) in diameter, while the saucer is 6-1/2" (155mm). See one, PM me. Will pay$$$$....

I gave up brewing tea in a pot for normal use as, being solo, it was wasteful and the loose leaf Twinings is exxy.

Now I stick with the Ceylon Orange Pekoe, single bag, steeped 2.5mins, with just a dash of fresh Lite milk. No sugar, I'm sweet enough.

I buy the COP from the local Woolies supermarket when it's on Super Special and nearly half price, and then I clean them out....

Current stock is a bit over 30 boxes, or around six months supply at current consumption of around 5-6 cups a day.

And must be drunk with a well-dunked Arnotts Ginger Nut biscuit - but ONLY those made in the Sydney NSW factory, all others are but a pale imitation and unworthy of the name....

And the Japanese think they've cornered the market on 'tea ceremonies'....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tea collection.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	71018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tea pot.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	71019  

Name:	Ginger Nuts.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	71020  

Old 24-11-2013, 20:17   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
SWL - those "flat pancake" thingies are called pikelets. And you an Aussie, for shame! lol
I don't remember mentioning anything about "flat pancake thingies" . I make a mean pikelet, although I do prefer scones.

Quote:
Here's a pic of my tea collection - only the Twinings Orange Pekoe bags go on the boat, the rest is for 'serious afternoon tea ritual' only.
A tea connoisseur after my own heart . My tea ritual is not skipped on board though. I would be hanging out two years between decent cuppas otherwise!

You are unfortunately missing my favourite Twinings in your collection - 'Lady Grey'. I settle on 'Earl Grey' here.

Quote:
The cup is an English 'Duchess Pottery' Large Breakfast Cup in the early eighties 'Astor' pattern (single gold rim to cup and saucer, detail on handle). It is the last of my six cups purchased 25 years ago, and alas, since the demise of the old Duchess Pottery, no longer available. I have searched eBay and elsewhere for replacements, but only the smaller 'tea cups' seem to be available. The Large Breakfast Cup is 4" (100mm) in diameter, while the saucer is 6-1/2" (155mm). See one, PM me. Will pay$$$$....
Will a double gold rim suffice? This Duchess breakfast cup is 'Ascot' not 'Astor', but the shape and size look identical to yours :
Duchess Ascot Breakfast Cup And Saucer on eBid Australia
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	71021  

Old 27-11-2013, 18:46   #78
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
And must be drunk with a well-dunked Arnotts Ginger Nut biscuit - but ONLY those made in the Sydney NSW factory, all others are but a pale imitation and unworthy of the name....
You must be a man of learning, a gentleman with an impeccable palate and culinary citizen of cultured taste; sir, I salute you

As mentioned earlier (or somewhere ), I particularly enjoy a Fortnum & Masons Darjeeling Broken Orange Pekoe tea - see Darjeeling Broken Orange Pekoe Loose Leaf Tea

Without milk and like you, in an double walled SS pot with the leaf removed after brewing (~4 minutes). Ideally in the afternoon (with the said ginger nut) to prepare one's palate for the evening's single malt (with or without chocolate).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 19:07   #79

Boat: Still building

Islay, of course.....
Old 28-11-2013, 00:37   #80
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Of course...
Islay is a force to be reckoned with and I enjoy the "smoke", but like many things in life should be not be enjoyed at the exclusion of all others...if only to make the finer things "more finer"

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: