Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-03-2017, 00:27   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Taking new propane tank on airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
From the TSA Web Site:
==================
Except for personal medical oxygen cylinders, you can only carry an EMPTY compressed gas cylinder on board a plane. To be permitted (in either carry-on or checked baggage), it must be clearly visible to the Transportation Security Officer (TSO) that the cylinder is empty. Personal oxygen is permitted if the regulatory valve has not been tampered with or removed.
Unless being used for personal medical oxygen, the gas cylinder regulator valve must be completely disconnected from the cylinder (in other words, the cylinder has an open end that allows the TSO to visually inspect the cylinder). TSOs will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder. If the gas cylinder is sealed (the regulator valve is still attached) and not required for personal medical oxygen, the gas cylinder is prohibited, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator.

Cans of recreational oxygen, including flavored oxygen, are prohibited in both carry-on and checked bags.

Please note, many seals/regulators used in on CO2 containers in paintball guns are not designed for the end user to remove from their cylinders; only a factory-trained technician should remove or reinstall the seal/regulator.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Thanks for this -- I sent a note to them thinking hey this is the government and I might get an answer next year or not at all - but they answered fairly quickly -
A friend lives in Miami where I will fly in and out of and has a propane dealer down the street who he thinks will take the valve off - and I will get a propane dealer here to reinstall it - I may need a special wrench that I can buy and bring back but I will talk to guys here first

thanks - and amazing the gov't answers questions SOMETIMES

chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 02:19   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: The boat: Cowes (Winter), Above 60N (Summer); me: somewhere in the air!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Chuck, why do you WANT a U.S. propane tank, over there?

Wouldn't you rather be using local ones which are easy to fill or exchange?

AFAIK, there are fewer and fewer places which will fill a propane tank by "cold pouring" or whatever the technique is called, which means that more and more you are stuck if you don't have the local standardized tank.

Gas has always been a problem for us in our annual Baltic cruise, where there are almost as many standard gas tanks as countries along the way (10). The only country where you can get our standard UK Calor tanks filled is in Sweden, where there are a few rogue LPG dealers who will "cold pour". Otherwise you have to buy a local tank and then carry it with you. We did buy a Finnish one, and so our routine now is to leave the UK with two full bottles, and then fill (actually exchange) the Finnish one when we get to the end. We usually squeak by that way, with the occasional rogue fill in Swedish waters in a pinch.

So I can't really imagine what you're going to be doing with a U.S. bottle, unless filling practices are really different where you are.

Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 01:34   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Chuck, why do you WANT a U.S. propane tank, over there?

Wouldn't you rather be using local ones which are easy to fill or exchange?

AFAIK, there are fewer and fewer places which will fill a propane tank by "cold pouring" or whatever the technique is called, which means that more and more you are stuck if you don't have the local standardized tank.

Gas has always been a problem for us in our annual Baltic cruise, where there are almost as many standard gas tanks as countries along the way (10). The only country where you can get our standard UK Calor tanks filled is in Sweden, where there are a few rogue LPG dealers who will "cold pour". Otherwise you have to buy a local tank and then carry it with you. We did buy a Finnish one, and so our routine now is to leave the UK with two full bottles, and then fill (actually exchange) the Finnish one when we get to the end. We usually squeak by that way, with the occasional rogue fill in Swedish waters in a pinch.

So I can't really imagine what you're going to be doing with a U.S. bottle, unless filling practices are really different where you are.

Like you we have been to a number of countries and I am not sure what the standard is anymore -- we carry connections with us so we can do a transfer - or send it out with the connections and they fill them - we thought about changing over but to what? never really looked at who is using what
Our next countries are Turkey, Greece, Israel, Egypt and not sure after that or when but I would guess there are a few different ones.

chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: