Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-05-2013, 21:59   #1

Boat: 1979 Marshall Californian 42 LRC
Sushi Onboard?

Hi all,

I will be heading to Mexico soon and I'm wondering about making sushi onboard. I am going to cheat and bring a bunch of those seaweed snacks sold at Costco and Trader joe's for the wrapping. The fish part is easy, but I need to know how to make good sticky sushi-grade rice. Any tips from those with experience? BTW, I usually use a rice cooker on shore, but need to learn to cook without it aboard.

Thanks, Bill

montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 22:11   #2
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Sushi Onboard?

Sushi? In Mexico?

Rice cookers heat the cabin. Time to learn how to make ceviche.

Old 21-05-2013, 22:28   #3

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
It's not that hard. You need the correct sushi rice, the right vinegar, sugar, a fan or a way to cool it off fast, a bowl of water... Takes practice. I'll never be as good as a real sushi master, I'll never be in that league, but with practice most people can pull off decent sushi (I assume you're talking rolls.). It will take a collection of equipment, rice cooker, bamboo rolling mat, good knife - but I would think it would all fit in a galley cabinet of most boats.
Old 21-05-2013, 22:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

add my vote for learning how to make ceviche.... when in Rome and all that.
Old 21-05-2013, 23:24   #5

Boat: OPB
Get Japanese style rice. Kokuho Rose is the best and easily available. Homai is also easy to find, but not as good. No Uncle Bens!
To cook it, rinse it, put it in you pot, and add enough water so that if you lay your hand on top of the rice your hand is mostly submerged. This is based on it being about 3 cups uncooked rice. Cover and bring to a full boil, turn off the flame and leave covered on the hot burner for 20-25 minutes. This BTW, is pretty much a great way to make rice in general, not jut for sushi.

If you are heading out of SoCal you should have no problem finding vinegar seasoned for making sushi. It's just rice wine vinegar, mirin and sugar, but I never measure, I make it to taste, so I'm not going to be that helpful there. Plus you have to heat the vinegar, and it'll make your cabin stinky. Any store that sells Mirin will have sushi vinegar, just buy a bottle, it doesn't go bad or need refrigeration. While your at the Asian market, get "temaki" size seaweed. Don't use the Costco stuff, it's salty and oily. Great for snacking on, horrible for sushi. Temaki means hand roll in Japanese. You cover about 2/3 of the seaweed with rice, fish, some veggie stuff if you want (cucumber julienned and radish sprouts are traditional, avocado is good too) some wasabi smeared across the rice,then roll it up like an ice cream cone with all the yummy filling sticking out the top. This is how Japanese people eat sushi at home. It's sort of a build your own thing. Rolling up and cutting rolls wastes too much water, it's silly to do on a boat.

Oops got ahead of myself. When the rice is cooked, dump it out on something wide and shallow like a tray with a deep lip or a shallow baking dish, grab your seasoned vinegar, a flatish utensil, and go up on deck. If your lucky, the wind will be blowing, if not you'll need a fan. Lightly sprinkle about 2oz of seasoned vinegar evenly on the rice and use the flat utensil to"cut" the rice. The best way I can describe this action is that it is a lot like sculling badly. It's a back and forth motion using the thin side of the flat utensil. This mixes the rice without making it gummy. Keep cutting, fanning, tasting and adding the seasoned vinegar until it tastes how you like it. By then it should be only slightly warm to the touch. It is now perfect for making hand rolls.

One other thing, wasabi in tubes it better than powdered. Once opened though it will need to be refrigerated.the best is "Nama wasabi" it's less processed and was a better flavor.

That's the basics, if you have questions fire away.
Old 22-05-2013, 04:50   #6

After seeing i.grind's instructions, I'd say: make ceviche.
Old 22-05-2013, 05:14   #7
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I make an awesome sushi - and I simply use that round grain pudding rice you can buy anywhere. And as for the vinegar - although I sometimes use proper rice vinegar, I find that using a small drop of regular vinegar, added to rice as it's cooking, works just as well.

The trick to great sushi is to use just enough wasabi - I don't like it as an extra on top, but all good sushi needs a small smearing inside the wrapper!

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 05:32   #8
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

I.Grind has it pretty much nailed for makinig the rice part.

You can use any really short grain rice however. most countries have their own variation that works for example; Arborio (Risotto), Bomba (Paella) etc. It is the starch/sugar and vinegar combination that makes it sticky.

I love making sushi on board - but I rarely make the rice. I just prefer the sashimi bit.

Cutting the fish properly is the most important part to get the best flavor and texture.

Here is a good quick video illustrating how to "quarter" a whole yellow fin

You can then easily cut into various strips. You can also seperate parts of the fish by varying fat content levels as they have different tastes.

From where they left in the video you can cut long rectangles down the fish and then slice off these rectangles. The final cuts to make the individual pieces of sashimi will (and must) be across the grain with this method. This will make the fish disolve in your mouth like proper sushi. if you cut with the grain it will be rubbery.

There is nothing better than fresh sashmi that is almost still wiggling. A dash of soy sauce and wasabi...

The bits that arent the center loin or whatever you cant gorge on the first couple of hours you can then cut into small pieces (1/4-1/2 in cubes) and cover with citric acid (lemon or lime or even orange juice) and let the acid cook the fish for a couple of hours - basically until it is cloudy to the center of each piece and then make the Ceviche of your choice.

Important to have a really sharp knife and always cut in one stroke - dont saw the fish.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 10:06   #9

Boat: Manta 40

Sushi night is a regular occurrence on our boat - good rice is key! Since it sounds like you're switching from rice-maker to stovetop cooking, I'll tell you my method (very easy).

Use small grain, sushi rice ~1 1/2 cup.

Rinse in pan and fill with water to the level of one finger knuckle of water over the rice. A Bahamian friend taught me that trick as I was a disaster making rice too wet before!

I cook the rice in 3x15 mins stages:

(1) Cover and boil rice & water until roiling stops (~15 mins)
(2) Let sit covered for 15 mins (don't peek!)
(3) Cover pan lid with a dish towel and recover rice to sit for 15 mins more (gets rid of excess water/steam)

Vinegar mix - heat gently to dissolve sugar (~1 min):

3-4 Tsp rice vinegar
2-3 Tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt

Get a large bowl and dump the warm cooked rice in and pour in the vinegar mix - stir with spatula and press the sticky rice around the edges of the bowl to set-up.

Cover bowl with damp dish towel to keep rice from drying out and use when ready - can be made a few hours ahead of time if needed.

The result will be tasty sticky rice, requiring wet fingers to handle to press into sushi or spread into rolls.

Rice leftovers make a GREAT addition to a hash with potatoes, veggies & eggs the next day!

Enjoy!
Old 22-05-2013, 10:14   #10
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

The best (?) Ceviche we have ever had was in El Salvador and made with Olive oil instead of Lime juce.
Old 22-05-2013, 10:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I loved sushi on board. Those little white Albacore in Mexico should be great Sushi. The taste is the same if you just put the Sashimi and rice etc in a bowl! No need to get fancy... although by all means do so if you like it!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 10:55   #12
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Those little white Albacore in Mexico should be great Sushi.
Agreed. Although I prefer ceviche when it's hot outdoors, whenever we have fresh albacore the first night is sushi night. Only the back fillet goes for this, of course. The rest is either smoked or made into ceviche.

When we lived in Monterey, where we used to get albacore all the time, we'd have a sushi party and invite the whole neighborhood any time I came home with tuna. Within 24 hours, the fish had lost half its flavor and was no longer suitable for sushi, so we'd always send out the invites the moment the fish was on the boat.

Ceviche, of course, will last longer than sushi.
Old 22-05-2013, 10:59   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I mad a lot of sun dried fish jerky in Mexico.... great stuff!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 11:13   #14

Boat: Switch 51

Do you have to cook the rice each time, or can you save some?

If they used olive oil for ceviche, they must have put some kind of acid in as well. That's what "cooks" the seafood in it.
Old 22-05-2013, 11:31   #15
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Neko; Olive oil has acid in it, just not as much as Lime juice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: