Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2013, 15:20   #16

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Do you have to cook the rice each time, or can you save some?
I suppose you could save some, but blech - would probably taste like sushi you get in convenience stores and supermarkets. Kind of dead and chewy.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 21:16   #17

Boat: OPB
Actually, I was wrong, Reach is closer. The rice seasoning was what I reverse engineered. Last night I asked my Japanese wife, she said "buy it" so I gave my recipe. Today I looked it up in her cookbook (in Japanese) and it says:
4 T rice wine vinegar
3 T sugar
1 1/2 t salt
Just mix it up.
It also says to put a piece of kelp in the water you cook the rice in. I should have known about that but I forgot. Clean it good and rinse out as much salt as you can first.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 01:46   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Sushi Onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Here is a good quick video illustrating how to "quarter" a whole yellow fin ......

The bits that arent the center loin or whatever you cant gorge on the first couple of hours you can then cut into small pieces (1/4-1/2 in cubes) and cover with citric acid (lemon or lime or even orange juice) and let the acid cook the fish for a couple of hours - basically until it is cloudy to the center of each piece and then make the Ceviche of your choice.
Excellent link. Very useful. An easy way of improving my own ad hoc technique

Slight thread drift, but if you have caught a large tuna and have no freezer on board (or even limited refrigeration) once you have gorged on sashimi, cut the rest into strips or cubes and marinade in a mix of 50% lemon/lime and 50% extra virgin olive oil and some cracked pepper. It is lovely with freshly grated ginger and/or crushed garlic added. Place in a plastic bag and squeeze out all the air, twisting and securing the end tightly. It keeps beautifully for a week (we run out by then). Delicious raw, or just let it kiss a hot pan for about a minute .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 15:12   #19

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Do you have to cook the rice each time, or can you save some?
If you have decent refrigeration, you can probably keep rice for a day or two. Without refrigeration I wouldn't keep rice overnight (I read somewhere that cooked rice causes more cases of salmonella poisoning that fish or chicken).
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 17:48   #20

I eat leftover rice regularly after it sits in the pan overnight on the stove. at least once a week. It's been boiled for 20 minutes to cook it... where would the samonella come from? Maybe those are cases from the 3rd world where it's been cooked in the back yard? Not arguing... just curious....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 17:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Excellent link. Very useful. An easy way of improving my own ad hoc technique

Slight thread drift, but if you have caught a large tuna and have no freezer on board (or even limited refrigeration) once you have gorged on sashimi, cut the rest into strips or cubes and marinade in a mix of 50% lemon/lime and 50% extra virgin olive oil and some cracked pepper. It is lovely with freshly grated ginger and/or crushed garlic added. Place in a plastic bag and squeeze out all the air, twisting and securing the end tightly. It keeps beautifully for a week (we run out by then). Delicious raw, or just let it kiss a hot pan for about a minute .
Great! Also, you can brine it for a few hours or overnight after cutting it into strips and sun bake it into jerky.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:35   #22

Boat: Seafarer36c

Cheechako; Could please go ahead and give us some good directions for making fish jerky? From dead fish to jerky...
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 19:28   #23

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I eat leftover rice regularly after it sits in the pan overnight on the stove. at least once a week. It's been boiled for 20 minutes to cook it... where would the samonella come from? Maybe those are cases from the 3rd world where it's been cooked in the back yard? Not arguing... just curious....
Sorry, not salmonella bacteria, but, in fact, Bacillus cereus (my bad). See links below.

Will cooked rice give you food poisoning if it's not stored in the fridge? - Health & Wellbeing

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/can-rehe...categoryid=215
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 19:56   #24

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
How does everyone manage the risk of tapeworms?

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 20:22   #25

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I'm with foolish sailor on the sashimi.

One thing I really like are toasted sesame seeds. Hull-on and roasted to perfection, it is a great addition to some soy and fresh wasabi. Just make the japonica type rice, doctor it up and cool it down. It'll taste fantastic because you're on the boat. I'd look for local stuff down there like avocado and jicama and pickle some jicama slaw and put that on a roll. Or a fish taco. With Ceviche.

You can roast your nori -- or your corn tortilla -- over the grill or range.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 20:26   #26

I'm exposed to cattle anthelmintics on a regular basis so I dont worry about internal parasites.

Matter of fact, I don't think I've had worms for nearly fifteen years, since I ran a sheep operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
How does everyone manage the risk of tapeworms?

SC
Old 23-05-2013, 21:55   #27

Boat: OPB
Leftover rice is fine, we go 1-2 days all the time. After 2 days we freeze it. Pop it in the microwave for instant rice.

+1 on the jerky recipe please.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 00:39   #28

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
I'm exposed to cattle anthelmintics on a regular basis so I dont worry about internal parasites.

Matter of fact, I don't think I've had worms for nearly fifteen years, since I ran a sheep operation
Cheoah, I know what you mean...I've been fortunate to avoid them in my time around the agricultural world...besides wouldn't getting them from sheep be ba-a-ad news? <rim shot>. Sorry I'm a bit punchy tonight anxious for launch tomorrow.

A friend of mine was married a Japanese lady with whom he ate a lot of sushi ended up with a nasty one. Quite a gross story. I'm far from an expert in parasites but the thought if any worms sheep, fish or otherwise makes my skin crawl. I'm not a big fish connoisseur to begin with but I can't find a better protein source cruising so trying to learn.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 05:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post

Cheoah, I know what you mean...I've been fortunate to avoid them in my time around the agricultural world...besides wouldn't getting them from sheep be ba-a-ad news? <rim shot>. Sorry I'm a bit punchy tonight anxious for launch tomorrow.

A friend of mine was married a Japanese lady with whom he ate a lot of sushi ended up with a nasty one. Quite a gross story. I'm far from an expert in parasites but the thought if any worms sheep, fish or otherwise makes my skin crawl. I'm not a big fish connoisseur to begin with but I can't find a better protein source cruising so trying to learn.
SC
Catching anything from sheep can be devastating to ones reputation.

My vet tells me a story from vet school about a husband and wife in his class. They were doing a sheep lab and the wife caught a rash on the inside of her legs from straddling the sheep to hold it. A couple of days later, the husband had a rash on both sides of his face, and he never touched a sheep.
Old 24-05-2013, 07:51   #30

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have been eating raw fish, ceviche, and our favorite, pickeled fish ! for over 30 yrs! with no worms or stomach problems as yet ! we still carry a small ceramic crock, to pickle our fish! and have small smoker we use to smoke some of the fish we pickle! all ya need is a little brine and some garlic and seasoning to have a real tasty addition to your daily meals ! With a pressure cooker and a crock your all set up to save as much fish as possible! We have been doing this with our fish for a long time! and it's really not a lot of work for what ya get out of it !! But then we are Cheap cruisers, LOL and we both grew up with familys that used almost every part of there fish and game to live, so it comes easy to us ! Yall might try it you may really like pickled fish !