Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2013, 16:20   #16
Registered User
 
kthoennes's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Do you have to cook the rice each time, or can you save some?
I suppose you could save some, but blech - would probably taste like sushi you get in convenience stores and supermarkets. Kind of dead and chewy.
__________________

__________________
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 22:16   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: OPB
Posts: 184
Actually, I was wrong, Reach is closer. The rice seasoning was what I reverse engineered. Last night I asked my Japanese wife, she said "buy it" so I gave my recipe. Today I looked it up in her cookbook (in Japanese) and it says:
4 T rice wine vinegar
3 T sugar
1 1/2 t salt
Just mix it up.
It also says to put a piece of kelp in the water you cook the rice in. I should have known about that but I forgot. Clean it good and rinse out as much salt as you can first.
__________________

__________________
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 02:46   #18
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: Sushi Onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Here is a good quick video illustrating how to "quarter" a whole yellow fin ......

The bits that arent the center loin or whatever you cant gorge on the first couple of hours you can then cut into small pieces (1/4-1/2 in cubes) and cover with citric acid (lemon or lime or even orange juice) and let the acid cook the fish for a couple of hours - basically until it is cloudy to the center of each piece and then make the Ceviche of your choice.
Excellent link. Very useful. An easy way of improving my own ad hoc technique

Slight thread drift, but if you have caught a large tuna and have no freezer on board (or even limited refrigeration) once you have gorged on sashimi, cut the rest into strips or cubes and marinade in a mix of 50% lemon/lime and 50% extra virgin olive oil and some cracked pepper. It is lovely with freshly grated ginger and/or crushed garlic added. Place in a plastic bag and squeeze out all the air, twisting and securing the end tightly. It keeps beautifully for a week (we run out by then). Delicious raw, or just let it kiss a hot pan for about a minute .
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 16:12   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tasmania
Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Posts: 2,317
Images: 91
Re: Sushi Onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Do you have to cook the rice each time, or can you save some?
If you have decent refrigeration, you can probably keep rice for a day or two. Without refrigeration I wouldn't keep rice overnight (I read somewhere that cooked rice causes more cases of salmonella poisoning that fish or chicken).
__________________
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:48   #20
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,369
Re: Sushi Onboard?

I eat leftover rice regularly after it sits in the pan overnight on the stove. at least once a week. It's been boiled for 20 minutes to cook it... where would the samonella come from? Maybe those are cases from the 3rd world where it's been cooked in the back yard? Not arguing... just curious....
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:50   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,369
Re: Sushi Onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Excellent link. Very useful. An easy way of improving my own ad hoc technique

Slight thread drift, but if you have caught a large tuna and have no freezer on board (or even limited refrigeration) once you have gorged on sashimi, cut the rest into strips or cubes and marinade in a mix of 50% lemon/lime and 50% extra virgin olive oil and some cracked pepper. It is lovely with freshly grated ginger and/or crushed garlic added. Place in a plastic bag and squeeze out all the air, twisting and securing the end tightly. It keeps beautifully for a week (we run out by then). Delicious raw, or just let it kiss a hot pan for about a minute .
Great! Also, you can brine it for a few hours or overnight after cutting it into strips and sun bake it into jerky.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 19:35   #22
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Sushi Onboard?

Cheechako; Could please go ahead and give us some good directions for making fish jerky? From dead fish to jerky...
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 20:28   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tasmania
Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Posts: 2,317
Images: 91
Re: Sushi Onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I eat leftover rice regularly after it sits in the pan overnight on the stove. at least once a week. It's been boiled for 20 minutes to cook it... where would the samonella come from? Maybe those are cases from the 3rd world where it's been cooked in the back yard? Not arguing... just curious....
Sorry, not salmonella bacteria, but, in fact, Bacillus cereus (my bad). See links below.

Will cooked rice give you food poisoning if it's not stored in the fridge? - Health & Wellbeing

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/can-rehe...categoryid=215
__________________
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 20:56   #24
Registered User
 
sailcruiser's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Posts: 763
How does everyone manage the risk of tapeworms?

SC
__________________
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 21:22   #25
Registered User
 
cheoah's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Boat: Moccasins and pony
Posts: 996
Re: Sushi Onboard?

I'm with foolish sailor on the sashimi.

One thing I really like are toasted sesame seeds. Hull-on and roasted to perfection, it is a great addition to some soy and fresh wasabi. Just make the japonica type rice, doctor it up and cool it down. It'll taste fantastic because you're on the boat. I'd look for local stuff down there like avocado and jicama and pickle some jicama slaw and put that on a roll. Or a fish taco. With Ceviche.

You can roast your nori -- or your corn tortilla -- over the grill or range.
__________________
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 21:26   #26
Registered User
 
cheoah's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Boat: Moccasins and pony
Posts: 996
Re: Sushi Onboard?

I'm exposed to cattle anthelmintics on a regular basis so I dont worry about internal parasites.

Matter of fact, I don't think I've had worms for nearly fifteen years, since I ran a sheep operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
How does everyone manage the risk of tapeworms?

SC
__________________
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 22:55   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: OPB
Posts: 184
Leftover rice is fine, we go 1-2 days all the time. After 2 days we freeze it. Pop it in the microwave for instant rice.

+1 on the jerky recipe please.
__________________
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 01:39   #28
Registered User
 
sailcruiser's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
I'm exposed to cattle anthelmintics on a regular basis so I dont worry about internal parasites.

Matter of fact, I don't think I've had worms for nearly fifteen years, since I ran a sheep operation
Cheoah, I know what you mean...I've been fortunate to avoid them in my time around the agricultural world...besides wouldn't getting them from sheep be ba-a-ad news? <rim shot>. Sorry I'm a bit punchy tonight anxious for launch tomorrow.

A friend of mine was married a Japanese lady with whom he ate a lot of sushi ended up with a nasty one. Quite a gross story. I'm far from an expert in parasites but the thought if any worms sheep, fish or otherwise makes my skin crawl. I'm not a big fish connoisseur to begin with but I can't find a better protein source cruising so trying to learn.
SC
__________________
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 06:37   #29
Registered User
 
cheoah's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Boat: Moccasins and pony
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post

Cheoah, I know what you mean...I've been fortunate to avoid them in my time around the agricultural world...besides wouldn't getting them from sheep be ba-a-ad news? <rim shot>. Sorry I'm a bit punchy tonight anxious for launch tomorrow.

A friend of mine was married a Japanese lady with whom he ate a lot of sushi ended up with a nasty one. Quite a gross story. I'm far from an expert in parasites but the thought if any worms sheep, fish or otherwise makes my skin crawl. I'm not a big fish connoisseur to begin with but I can't find a better protein source cruising so trying to learn.
SC
Catching anything from sheep can be devastating to ones reputation.

My vet tells me a story from vet school about a husband and wife in his class. They were doing a sheep lab and the wife caught a rash on the inside of her legs from straddling the sheep to hold it. A couple of days later, the husband had a rash on both sides of his face, and he never touched a sheep.
__________________
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 08:51   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Sushi Onboard?

We have been eating raw fish, ceviche, and our favorite, pickeled fish ! for over 30 yrs! with no worms or stomach problems as yet ! we still carry a small ceramic crock, to pickle our fish! and have small smoker we use to smoke some of the fish we pickle! all ya need is a little brine and some garlic and seasoning to have a real tasty addition to your daily meals ! With a pressure cooker and a crock your all set up to save as much fish as possible! We have been doing this with our fish for a long time! and it's really not a lot of work for what ya get out of it !! But then we are Cheap cruisers, LOL and we both grew up with familys that used almost every part of there fish and game to live, so it comes easy to us ! Yall might try it you may really like pickled fish !
__________________

__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.