Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Survival Foods

Having to provision for weeks and even months at a time without a freezer and usually no ice nor fridge, I'm very keen on some long-life (canned in nitrogen) survival foods but others are simply awful. A new feature on my blog, Janet Groene's BoatCook will be a Recipe of the Week using shelf-stable foods. (They can be, but don't have to be, survival packs.) I'll value input from all of you Out There. If you have an opinion or recipe please contact me at janetgroene@yahoo.com and let me know if you want to be mentioned by name or other ID. My #1 is hard red winter wheat, bought in cans (rat proof) and ground fresh as needed. It keeps for centuries and is a basic food unless one has celiac disease. #2 might be honey, which keeps forever and can be purchased almost anywhere. I can't stand TVP, although I can sometimes get the crumbles down without gagging. Sound off, please, here and/or e-mail me privately.
JanetGroene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:52   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Normal can goods keep well for up to a year or so. If you can access European sourced canned foods there are canned hams and other meats that will keep for a very long time without any refrigeration.
- - In the USA, the mega food corporations have bought each other up and eliminated most "shelf storage" meats and products and only offer refrigeration required products. Surprisingly, Walmarts has non-USA foods and canned goods that are not in any normal USA food markets.
- - People in the 3rd world have been living and eating without refrigeration for millions of years and canned/jarred/vacuum packed foods including meats are easily available once you leave the USA waters.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 13:00   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Oily fish, smoked mackeral etc, in sealed polywrap seems to keep for months. Tasty and a change. Great nibbles too on long lonely night watches.
I have a small fridge, top opening, running off a couple of solar panels. I'm still using full milk bought in May (three months) stored against the thin ice on the inside of the fridge.
Old 01-08-2010, 13:26   #4

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. UHT (ultra hight temperature pasturized) milk and cream is packaged in cartons and will last around 6 months in your locker. Walmart has it. Of coarse, there's powdereed milk for making, cakes, oatmeal, pancakes, etc. Dehydrated vegetables help when you are out and secluded from getting any fresh stuff. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 14:56   #5

Boat: Morgan OI 414
Here is alot of quality freeze dried food for reasonable prices and free shipping if order is over $99.00.
freeze dried fruit,dried vegetables,dehydrated vegetables,tvp

If you like hash browns, then check this site out.
https://www.nonparl.com/store.asp
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 15:05   #6

Location: hailing port: Pensacola on the stern, bodies in Fort Myers
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37'
Nido is an AWESOME powdered milk -- being American, we had tried Carnation instant milk, much easier to get, but in the islands we started seeing/buying Nido (leche entera en polvo), and it blew Carnation out of the water. Now it's available all over, including CVS's website in the US: Buy Nestle Nido Instant Dry Whole Milk online at CVS.com

Yum. We also tried UHT milk in the mylar-lined cartons, which was OK when we had just bought the cartons, but once we'd been out a few month, the newly-opened cartons tasted odd; maybe the heat? Nido was always fresh-tasting.
AquatiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:44   #7
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chocolate lasts forever, so long as it's kept in a fairly cool place.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 16:08   #8

Boat: Sundance 23
This place is pretty good, if you can handle MREs. I use these foods for camping and on the boat, in case I don't feel like cooking anything up.

-Long Life Food Depot
Old 16-08-2010, 17:32   #9

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
In the real 'survival' category, dried and pitted dates has to be high on the list. Low in nitrogen, they require very little water to metabolize. Ask the Bedouin, they've been using them for thousands of years as their main or only trail food.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 17:40   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
survival foods are whatever you can grab and stuff into a bag in a hurry as the boat sinks. dont forget the fishing gear. dont forget the water. kat fudz. lol...cat has to survive too, ye know!!!
i have survived without refrigeration since 1990---quite happily. quite successfully. aint got sick yet. dont plan on that. i know how to keep my foods so i dont have to waste any. i have also cruised for a bit and plan on going out for longer duration. if anyone wishes to contact me , i answer all questions and refer to sources if i dont have the answer. i never wrote a book nor do i plan to..i have only DONE it..and plan on keeping myself out in the seas..there is no such thing as a stupid question. no one is an expert...

yes, carnation tastes worse than mud. nido is excellent for cooking as well as coffee and cereal. available in walmart and publix...other places, also.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 03:45   #11

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'
would'nt worry too much about "cannot force food down"

I would'nt worry too much about not being able to " force *un-palatable* survival food down"

Hopefully you'll never find out:

Hunger is the best appetiser.
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 04:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
survival foods are whatever you can grab.... kat fudz. lol...cat has to survive too, ye know!!!
Indeed. Eat the cat first whilst it is fresh and has plenty of flesh and then you can eat its cat food last when everything has been consumed.

mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 04:38   #13

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Indeed. Eat the cat first whilst it is fresh and has plenty of flesh and then you can eat its cat food last when everything has been consumed.

Yep
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 04:54   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
Yep
There is a joke in there somewhere.......just can't get it clean enough to post
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 13:10   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i rename him stew for the ditching--from time i fix ditch bag to time we stop being skeereded, kat is named stew.....when all is calm, he is back to bubba daboatket........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote