Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2009, 10:13   #16

These bags are fantastic, I bought my wife some Silk Flowers for Valentines Day, a few days later I put them into one of the Green Bags, her Birthday was in August and I used the same flowers from the Green Bag, they looked exactly the same as the day that I put them in the bag, the added bonus was my wife never even noticed they were the same ones!!
Blue Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 11:04   #17

I bought some once, they seemed to work pretty good in the Caribe. Problem is they are expensive, hard to clean and re-use.. how many times can you wash them and have them work?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 12:31   #18

Boat: Crealock 37
I, also, was wondering about cleaning and re-using. Does re-using hinder the 'freshness protecting' qualities of these bags?
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 20:36   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Funny

I get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass View Post
These bags are fantastic, I bought my wife some Silk Flowers for Valentines Day, a few days later I put them into one of the Green Bags, her Birthday was in August and I used the same flowers from the Green Bag, they looked exactly the same as the day that I put them in the bag, the added bonus was my wife never even noticed they were the same ones!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 21:12   #20

Blue Grass you are a brave man my friend.
I will bet there are several diffrent brands of bags as to why there are so may people that are pro and so many that are con.
Can the pros give us there brand they use and the cons give us the brand they use as I would like to try them but don't want to wast my hard earned boat bucks.
Matt
Irwin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 14:54   #21

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin325 View Post
may people that are pro

Can the pros give us there brand they use
Amazon.com: Forever Green Bags 16 Per Box: 8-9"x15"/8-12"x17" by Gourmet Trends: Kitchen & Dining

$.50 apiece.

Try them yourself.
It is easy.

Put half your lettuce (or whatever) in one and watch both.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 22:36   #22

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Those things were tested on one of the major networks Deal or Dud consumer shows and were given a Big DUD rating!
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 22:59   #23

Boat: Fantasia 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinini View Post
Those things were tested on one of the major networks Deal or Dud consumer shows and were given a Big DUD rating!
Thank goodness! I thought is was just me. Over the years I've tried green bag three or four times and they have never worked for me.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:30   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Stay Fresh vegetable bags are made from low density polyethylene that is coated with a fine layer of natural clay (zeolite) containing high levels of a mineral claimed to absorb ethylene gas.

Ripening is the final stage of the maturation process when the fruit changes colour, and develops the flavour, texture and aroma that makes up what we define as optimum eating quality. The biological agent that initiates this ripening process after the fruit is mature is naturally produced ethylene. While there are other factors involved in this "triggering" of the ripening process by ethylene, it is essentially a universal ripening hormone.

When this internal concentration of naturally produced ethylene increases to about 0.1 - 1.0 ppm, the ripening process is irreversibly initiated. The process may be slowed, but it cannot be reversed once it is truly under way.

Generally speaking, however, the shelf life of most produce is reduced by storing it in plastic, zeolite or no zeolite, because the humidity inside the bag is so high. You can help your produce last by keeping it cool and by allowing air circulation, which naturally reduces ethylene and other plant hormone levels in the air.

Consumer Reports claims that the green bags don’t do the job. They performed a test using a variety of fruits and vegetables stored in various ways: they stored the foods in the green bags, in regular Ziploc bags, on a counter, in a fridge and in plastic supermarket bags. They got unfavorable results for the green bags except when it involved bananas, as they report:

From Consumer Reports: We saw green inside the Green Bags, but often it was mold. Blackberries became moldy after three weeks, strawberries and basil after a month, and peppers and tomatoes after five weeks. It was a tough test, but the same foods stored in other ways nearly always had less mold or none after the same time. Only bananas fared significantly better in Green Bags: After two weeks, they were firm and had not turned black.

Debbie Meyer Green Bags

In addition to the Consumer Reports test results, there is a mixed bag of response – mostly negative - from 50 readers at this about.com* blog story written by a chemist who is not convinced. But differences in results, which no one I read has mentioned, can also be attributed to the age of produce when it is purchased, which is unknowable.

* ➥ Do Debbie Meyer and Evert Fresh Green Bags Work?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote