Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 15:53   #1

Boat: Pearson Vanguard 32
Stove placement

Doing some preliminary design thinking. We've a 28' Pearson Triton that the PO stripped completely bare. I'm wondering which way to mount the gimbaled stove my wife bought. Fore and aft or sideways so that it responds to healing. This is something that has been thought through by a lot of people I'm certain.

Suggestions? Thanks.
Steve Scoll
sscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 16:03   #2

Re: Stove placement

Stoves are typically side mounted so they swing side to side. Or mounted solid if facing fore and aft. Another consideration is designing the galley so the stove is midships for less movement. But I doubt there are a lot of options in a boat that size. Why reinvent the wheel?
I did see one once mounted on the main bulkhead and devised to gimbal left and right if you were looking forward facing the stove. Pretty unique. (Joe Trumbley)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 17:01   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

"sideways" so it compensates for heel, other orientation negates any benefit from the gimbal and would probably make it dump soup on the cook on every wave.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 18:34   #4

Yes sideways.

Three additional things you'll see in a good installation:

A sliding bolt to lock the stove gimbal at anchor.

A bar in front of the stove so the cook isn't thrown onto the hot stove when the boat is healed towards the stove. Also a high up hand-hold to steady themselves.

A sturdy attachment point on each side of the stove and a belt that the cook clips on behind them to lean against when the boat is healed away from the stove.

- And unrelated to the stove, try to put the sink close to the centerline or it won't drain when the boat is heeled. There really isn't room on a Triton but get it as close to the center as you can.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 07:25   #5

Thanks for these useful points. All make sense.
Steve
Old 15-02-2018, 16:34   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 28 Sloop

If you go to James Baldwin’s web site “Atom Voyager” he’s got incredibly good photos , advice and upgrades of his Triton and others that he’s thoughtfully upgraded. I’m sorry I don’t have the link but he’s not hard to find. Great resource and human being!
Good luck. Great boat
docsaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 20:21   #7

Thanks, James is an excellent source. I corresponded with him at length as I did some work on my first Triton. Great suggestion.

Tags
men, stove