Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-04-2008, 12:43   #46

Boat: Allied Luders 33
I recently cleaned up and installed an old Hillerange pressurized alcohol oven. The first time I used it I cooked rice on one burner steamed corn on another and fried pork chops on the third. It worked great.
My only concerns during the installation were leaks, so I replaced the fuel hose, resealed all pipe thread fittings and pressure tested the system empty.
I am curious how the oven (haven't baked anything yet) will work and how long a gallon of alcohol will last.

Had I been lucky enough to get a used propane oven for free I would have tried that but I know it would have been more work to install so I am happy with the alcohol fuel.

Old 01-04-2008, 15:17   #47

Boat: Durbeck 46 Nightwatch
Has anyone mentioned operating cost. We cook with our Force 10 daily. We use the oven to make almost all dinners. I go through a 10 pound bottle of Propane in about 3 months including around the holidays. As of about 3 weeks ago I paid $9.00, at the most expensive place in town. Hey, they are convenient. Last time I fueled up, 2 weeks ago, it was $3.98. I have no idea how long a gallon of fuel last while cooking. What about the soot. Soot and cooking greases in the air. That should make spring cleaning a challenge.

Old 01-04-2008, 15:30   #48
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 10/4, 25.3 LOD, 28.5 LOA - Orion
Send a message via Yahoo to spukistiles
I don't mind the cost of the alcohol, too much. Consider it worry insurance! We really enjoy cooking on the Origo, so far.
Old 18-04-2008, 14:57   #49

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
I've never understood people talking about carrying the heavy propane bottles. A gallon of propane weighs about 4 pounds per gallon and kerosene weighs about 7 pounds per gallon. Tank weight, there's not that much difference in the weight of a bottle or a 5 gallon jerry can. Plus I prefer to have my tanks secure instead of making my boat look like a junk yard with 40 pound tank of kero tied to the lifelines, plus all the other misc. junk you see people tying to their lifelines.
It all comes down to a personal choice of which fuel to use. You will always find pro's and con's when it comes to a stove fuel.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 20:12   #50

Boat: islander 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
Tank weight, there's not that much difference in the weight of a bottle or a 5 gallon jerry can. Plus I prefer to have my tanks secure instead of making my boat look like a junk yard with 40 pound tank of kero tied to the lifelines, plus all the other misc. junk you see people tying to their lifelines
true enough, with a much bigger boat this may or not be important to you Santana, but on my 29'er weight distribution is paramount, and while i certainly could tie a few jerryjugs of kero to my stern pulpit, i do not have to. i could just as easily throw them in a seat-hatch, in the v-berth, lash to the mast, or as you said to the lifelines.

Tags
oven

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: