Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2011, 05:52   #31
Registered User
 
svBeBe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Posts: 946
Re: Stove Designs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
What brand/model is that stove/oven with the read-side mounted burner? I would like to look it up as it does seem to be a rather strange configuration.
Thanks,
ENO, 4-burner stove. Has grill element mounted on the inside top of the oven. Oven heating burner mounted on rear side wall of the oven.

Yep, it is strange. Every other boat oven I have ever used has had the burner on the bottom or beneath the bottom panel of the oven.

Judy
S/V BeBe
__________________

__________________
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 06:10   #32
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Stove Designs ?

Eno - 4-burner with oven. A French built stove/oven. Sold on this side of Atlantic by Force 10 as their "Professional" series and marketed by West Marine. It is about twice the price of the normal Force 10 models. A manual for the stove/oven is here: http://www.force10.com/files/5-Burne...0%20Manual.pdf

- - It uses a long tube burner in the oven and broiler rather than the usual round flame burner. It is similar to the burner set-up in an outdoor BBQ.

- - There is a special mention twice in the manual about a "Heat Disbursement Plate" and the need to install it for oven usage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cookers_chef_gb.gif
Views:	81
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	32694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corel032.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	32695  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corel033.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	32696  
__________________

__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 11:37   #33
Registered User
 
nwdiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Posts: 357
Re: Stove Designs ?

In the PNW I loved my Dickinson diesel stove, but when summer rolled around and I didn’t need to cheaply heat a 40ft power boat, a 2 burner seaward miraculously appeared on top of it when it was shut down, baking was then done on the aft deck in the BBQ all summer. Now on my sailboat I use a Dickinson propane 2 burner (they are about twice the price of a Force 10 and shows it, the oven is very good) which has lots of room and heat for big pots on the big burner (11,000 btu), even in the house with the 4 burner stove I never use more than 2 burners and the oven.
__________________
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 13:55   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding
Posts: 153
Re: Stove Designs ?

I like a two-burner stove top because when pots are added, they stay over the center of gravity of the stove and it doesn't tilt. But then the oven is usually going to be pretty small . . . so I'm with nwdiver in favoring the Dickinson 2-burner propane. One thing I have done several times is add as much lead ballast as practical to the stove as near the center of rotation (i.e. the axis of the gimbals) as possible. This really settles down a stove in a seaway.
__________________
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 19:28   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 774
Re: Stove Designs ?

Our last boat had a Beaufort; an awesome diesel range; but cranks up way to much heat for warmer climates. I'd switch our 3 burner propane for one any day.
__________________

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 20:00   #36
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Stove Designs ?

My girl friend has a set of pots that her mother bought for her that need very little heat and can be stacked on top of each other that work great..they cost a fortune but you can cook 3 diff. things just by stacking one upon the other..and the pots all fit on my stove in the boat.I think they all have copper bottoms and SS sides...can cook a 7 course meal in no time...DVC
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 05:53   #37
Registered User
 
svBeBe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Posts: 946
Re: Stove Designs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
I like a two-burner stove top because when pots are added, they stay over the center of gravity of the stove and it doesn't tilt. But then the oven is usually going to be pretty small . . . so I'm with nwdiver in favoring the Dickinson 2-burner propane. One thing I have done several times is add as much lead ballast as practical to the stove as near the center of rotation (i.e. the axis of the gimbals) as possible. This really settles down a stove in a seaway.
We used to leave the stove gimballed when at sea -- but do not do that anymore. Now we leave the stove locked at sea except when cooking. Letting the stove swing all the time increases the likelihood of chafing the hoses and wires.

Judy
S/V BeBe
__________________
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 06:02   #38
Registered User
 
svBeBe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Posts: 946
Re: Stove Designs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Eno - 4-burner with oven. A French built stove/oven. Sold on this side of Atlantic by Force 10 as their "Professional" series and marketed by West Marine. It is about twice the price of the normal Force 10 models. A manual for the stove/oven is here: http://www.force10.com/files/5-Burne...0%20Manual.pdf

- - It uses a long tube burner in the oven and broiler rather than the usual round flame burner. It is similar to the burner set-up in an outdoor BBQ.

- - There is a special mention twice in the manual about a "Heat Disbursement Plate" and the need to install it for oven usage.
I glanced through the manual at that link you provided. Our stove is very similar to the Force 10 illustrated in that manual, and some parts appear to be interchangeable. But that is not the same stove as the one I have. For example, my burner tops do not twist off as shown in that manual.

I looked through the stove manual which was provided by our boat manufacturer. My ENO manual does not mention anything about a heat disbursement plate for this oven.

I think adding an unglazed tile is the way I will go to improve the heat distribution in this oven. thanks.

BTW, ours is a French built boat so not surprised they used a French built stove.

Judy
S/V BeBe
__________________
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 08:14   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 774
Re: Stove Designs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
We used to leave the stove gimballed when at sea -- but do not do that anymore. Now we leave the stove locked at sea except when cooking. Letting the stove swing all the time increases the likelihood of chafing the hoses and wires.
I agree. I say strap the pig down when underway and not being used. This will save on the connecting hardware (including the gimbals) and ending up a twisted heap of stainless sheet metal in the forward berth during heavy seas.
__________________

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 09:46   #40
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Re: Stove Designs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I glanced through the manual at that link you provided. Our stove is very similar to the Force 10 illustrated in that manual, and some parts appear to be interchangeable. But that is not the same stove as the one I have. For example, my burner tops do not twist off as shown in that manual.

I looked through the stove manual which was provided by our boat manufacturer. My ENO manual does not mention anything about a heat disbursement plate for this oven.

I think adding an unglazed tile is the way I will go to improve the heat distribution in this oven. thanks.

BTW, ours is a French built boat so not surprised they used a French built stove.
Judy S/V BeBe
Interesting, but not surprising. The European standards for most equipment are different from North American (USA standards). The heat disbursement plate maybe a requirement of certification for North America (USA).

- - Is the oven main heating burner/tube mounted at the bottom of the back wall of the oven or at the middle or top of the back wall?

- - The idea of the heating stone/tile is to disburse the heat across the interior of the oven versus having a heat zone radiating out from the oven burner in a spherical direction with "cold zones" near the edges and corners of the oven.

- - However, if the oven burner tube is not positioned to "heat the stone" then it might not be of any value to you and your oven. The stone operates like the extra thick metal bottom of high quality pots and pans to absorb the heat and distribute it to the whole inside of the pot/pan.
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 18:49   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 46
Re: Stove Designs ?

One option for those who have the room for a range with a depth of 28" might be the SS none marine 24" Viking range. Rick
__________________
rberrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 23:12   #42
Registered User
 
Shanaly's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Perth west australia, Indian Ocean
Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
Posts: 226
Re: Stove Designs ?

pizza stones smallish seem to be hard to find! I am experimenting with other options:
1 a clay roof tile
2 a flat stone
3 a marble tile/granite/ slate

will let you know! incidentally Ms Seehag kindly gave me th original idea (kudos) perhaps has more ideas...?
__________________
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 08:45   #43
Registered User
 
Sailor g's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,137
We ordered a pizza stone online and was able to get the size of our oven. Or you can use two side by side to fill he space. I would make sure if I used tiles that they had nothing that could get into the food. It would be terrible if it ruined your wonderful baking!
__________________
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 14:21   #44
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the Go
Boat: Various
Posts: 666
Re: Stove Designs

[QUOTE=Cheechako;722676]It's typical of most everything you buy. Who are the idiots that design this stuff????

You're so right! Designers miniaturize until things fit in a small galley, regardless of whether it is practical or workable in that down-size state. Before buying a boat it's important to sit where people sit, lie where people lie, look inside the oven and reefer. I've seen many miniature bathrooms that looked adorable at the boat show but it would be impossible to go inside, sit down and close the door. And only elves would fit in the shower.
__________________
Janet Groene
JanetGroene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 15:34   #45
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
Re: Stove Designs ?

We installed a Wallas brand, diesel fueled, two-burner, smooth surface cooktop with an oven unit. It is lightweight, closed flame, extremely effecient and does not give off a lot of heat so that cooking is a pleasure. We have been extremely pleased and highly recommend the Wallas.
__________________

__________________
Jeantot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning Stove / Oven sailcruiser Provisioning: Food & Drink 20 10-09-2011 16:57
How to Remove Propane Stove / Oven ? exordium Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 7 23-08-2011 12:51
Kenyon Homestrand Alcohol Stove Conversion peacefulhiker Provisioning: Food & Drink 3 10-08-2011 08:17
Want To Buy: Sardine Wood Stove or Similar captainfritz Classifieds Archive 0 30-07-2011 17:37
Want To Buy: Single Burner Gimballed Propane Stove trimming out Classifieds Archive 5 22-07-2011 21:34



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.