Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2012, 11:25   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Storm Foods?

Dinty Moore Beef Stew. I always keep a couple cans available for those times when everyone else is nauseous and I'm staving. It's quick, you can make it while standing watch alone, and it warms you up from the inside out.

Can't stand the stuff ashore, and I can't remember the last time I ate any when I wasn't wearing foulies.
Old 26-04-2012, 11:33   #32

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Bob, you have to pardon my ignorance of your local idiom, what exactly is side meat?
Don't y'all have bacon in the down under??
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 11:51   #33
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Ginger Tea

Ginger candy

Gingersnaps

Scoplamine

More Ginger Tea.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 12:06   #34

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Side meat is unsmoked bacon, or better said, it's what the chunks of pork side meat, thats left over after the bacon is cut off to smoke!! Good and greasy and tasty!! I don't cook eggs when it's real rough, cus I don't like broken egg yokes(someone asked where the eggs were?) Connie can't even stand to be below when I cook stuff like this when its ROUGH !! But it's an old PNW fishermans breakfast, at least 40 50 yrs ago it was ! LOL
Old 26-04-2012, 12:08   #35

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

"O" as far as Ginger go's The only ginger I really like is English Ginger beer and Vodka !! LOL
Old 26-04-2012, 12:13   #36

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

...as in storms, Granola bars and Slimfast shakes in cans, and yoghurt. Plenty of hot drinks. Next level down in sea state, its Pasta...then normal cooking...
Old 26-04-2012, 12:19   #37

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Smile Re: Storm Foods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Ginger Tea

Ginger candy

Gingersnaps

Scoplamine

More Ginger Tea.

Scopolamine? After you take that, we want to ask you a few questions.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:16   #38
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
Don't y'all have bacon in the down under??
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Side meat is unsmoked bacon, or better said, it's what the chunks of pork side meat, thats left over after the bacon is cut off to smoke!! Good and greasy and tasty!! I don't cook eggs when it's real rough, cus I don't like broken egg yokes(someone asked where the eggs were?) Connie can't even stand to be below when I cook stuff like this when its ROUGH !! But it's an old PNW fishermans breakfast, at least 40 50 yrs ago it was ! LOL
Thanks for the heads up on side meat gentlemen. Now back to my bacon butie.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 07:18   #39
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks to all for sharing your food ideas, I learnt some new ideas, re-enforced some old ones and remembered a few I had forgotten!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 07:57   #40

Boat: Tartan 4100

OK, back to the topic......
I went home....rooted through the recipes.....couldn't find it......must be on the boat. Well this is what I can remember from it, I think I got it all. I tried to upload the file but it said "invalid file"??? Must not like M.S.Word.

Mediterranean Chicken with Couscous

4 large boneless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 med. Yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup plain couscous
1 cup raisins, crazins (sp?) or dried currants
14 oz can of chicken broth
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
14 oz can of chick peas, drained (you can substitute pine nuts)
1 ½ tablespoon of either curry powder or turmeric, whichever is handy. It varies the flavor, but both are good.
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large stock pot, boil chicken breasts until cooked through. Drain and let cool. Cube chicken into ¾ “ chunks. You can reserve liquid to substitute for broth but since there is no skin, it won’t be as flavorful…..use a can of broth

While the chicken is cooking, sauté the garlic in the oil, med heat, then add onions. Once onions are translucent, add red peppers. Sauté for three to four minutes until peppers are tender. Add lemon juice, zest, curry powder or turmeric, couscous, chick peas and raisins. Stir until blended then add chicken broth, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

Once ready, stir in chicken cubes season with salt and pepper to taste. You can serve hot or cold.
On a boat, it will keep well in a Tupperware for several days in the fridge.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 10:58   #41
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Make up big batches of your own trail mix according to your likes, diet and allergies. Just make sure you have a good balance of dried fruits, nuts and a starch such as popcorn or Cheerios. Pack in snack bags by the cupful to keep it fresh and handy. Grab and go. Hard-boiled eggs are another lifesaver so make plenty of them ahead before the blow hits. I blog trail mix recipes at CreateAGorp.
Old 29-04-2012, 11:19   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

trail mix on a 2 week passage is sukky. need real food. trailmix on a 3 day passage suxx..i use real food. is no big deal to cook when galley is set up for off shore or blue water passage making. trail mix is for snacking and instant energy. i donot kep trail mix on board unless i have crew who brings it. is pricey and takes up room and goes stale rapidly, then tastes reallly bad.
sudden blows go away as suddenly as they come. isnt a big deal to make it thru sans foodstuffs. my 60 kt sudden wind only lasted a coula hours --until dawn. was no big deal. the rest of the sailing trip was dead calmness and sparse winds. cook yer heart out.
making something in advance is great whenye hae a house in which to do this. full time cruisers usually dont have this option. we do the adaptation method.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 11:27   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

we generally make up a batch of muesli(nuts,rasins and oats) in a 4gallon container that the crew can help themselves to at any time,just add powderd milk n water or uht milk.

off the top end of madagasgar we went right thru the middel of a tropical depression/cyclone,i managed to cook fresh tuna,rice and russian salad.....funny thing was the new crew all turned green at the sight of real food.............
peanuts and rasins will keep you going for days in really rough weather,just keep hydrated,espeassilly sea sick crew.

failing that if you can keep nothing down 1/2 tsp salt and 2tbls sugar in a 2liter bottel filled with water.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 12:03   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Bob, you have to pardon my ignorance of your local idiom, what exactly is side meat?
most folks ask what is Grits..yall have grits down under?what about fat back?...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 13:39   #45

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

No experience with multiday storms at sea . . . but when we're sailing in Maine and know it's going to be a cold rainy passage, in the morning we'll heat up a lentil stew or soup and keep it hot in a widemouth thermos (unbreakable) ready at hand in the cockpit. When you're shivering later in the afternoon, break out the thermos. Heaven.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote