Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2010, 14:14   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Storing Spices Aboard

I have numerous spices that do not come in a container.......well a bag is a container......

Looking for advice on the perfect container.

I envision a square shape for ease of storage, air tight seal and a perforated part on top for shaking.

Oh yea. Low cost - a given.

Anything super duper?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 15:02   #2

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
I supose it depends on the amount. Asking your friends to save their spice jars can get a quick suply. However, I have the feeling you are taliking bulk... If so, I have been saving my hershy's 100% cocoa containers. They are rectangular and stack and pack nicely. I drink alot and accumulate about a container a week so it works for me. Good old mason jars come in many sizes and some a little square. They are pretty darn strong although glass.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 16:35   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
We keep ours in original containers- mostly glass or plastic shakers. What comes in paper packs is kept in a couple of alloy boxes.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 17:37   #4
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Tap plastic has small acrylic boxes, 10 for 10 bucks, but no shaker.

I use test tubes with corks or screwtops and like how they stack on their sides taking up little space. Or you could get a metal test tube rack, the 24 tube size is pretty compact and holds them upright.

I love the small round metal containers with the clear lids, but they are always pricy...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 17:51   #5

Awsome stuff! I love the test tubes. What a great idea...
Just ocured to me that I forgot to mention that when I was in the humid salt environment I used to through some dry rice in with certain dry goods including spices to help absorb any moisture.
Also, on the cheap side and if they can be stowed where they won't be crushed, good old ziplocks for the reserve to keep the dispensers full.
Old 18-02-2010, 17:52   #6

For stuff like this I always find IKEA had good prices and clever solutions:

IKEA | Food storage & organizing | Spice & condiment stands | CELEBER | Spice jar
IKEA | Food storage & organizing | Spice & condiment stands | RAJTAN | Spice jar
IKEA | Food storage & organizing | Spice & condiment stands | DROPPAR | Spice jar
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 18:24   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
I supose it depends on the amount. Asking your friends to save their spice jars can get a quick suply. However, I have the feeling you are taliking bulk... If so, I have been saving my hershy's 100% cocoa containers. They are rectangular and stack and pack nicely. I drink alot and accumulate about a container a week so it works for me. Good old mason jars come in many sizes and some a little square. They are pretty darn strong although glass.

Thanks all thus far.

Bulk will be in ziplocs probably.

Want shakers for the galley. Moisture proof.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 08:01   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Bulk will be in ziplocs probably.
Therapy--

Some years ago we met a couple of which the wife fancied herself a Chef and, accordingly, evidently carried quite an assortment of spices in bulk in zip-lock bags aboard their boat. As they related it, it seems on their return from a trip to Mexico they had rather a lot of difficulty with the Coast Guard in San Diego when their stock was discovered until their Oregano or dried Parsley or whatever proved not to be dope. During the interim the boat was alledgedly ransacked pretty thoroughly.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 08:08   #9

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Ziplock bag inside a ziplock bag inside a etc conforms to any volume or storage shape cheap easy will drive the DEA crazy
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 08:10   #10

I guess you would be in trouble if you got some 'do gooder' who couldn't tell the smell of oregano, let alone that of dope! What a lark! Hops on the otherhand, can actually be grafted to canabis root I have read..but I don't have any idea of what that smells of. I guess you could offer to sit down and smoke some to prove the non effect..?
Old 19-02-2010, 09:31   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
We replace most of our spices every season. The heat etc. does not help no matter what they're stored in. Ours are kept in their original containers or ziplocks. We find that many lose their potency after six months on a boat, especially cumin which we use a lot of.
Old 19-02-2010, 09:52   #12

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Test Tubes

[QUOTE=sarafina;406232]Tap plastic has small acrylic boxes, 10 for 10 bucks, but no shaker.

I use test tubes with corks or screwtops and like how they stack on their sides taking up little space. Or you could get a metal test tube rack, the 24 tube size is pretty compact and holds them upright.

Safarina: After a galley reorganizing I'm left with this very question and think the test tubes are a great idea (although I am concerned about breakage and capacity). My local hobby shop has "regular" test tubes but your pictures rack looks the best. Where did you find it/them?
Thanks, John
PS - we don't miss the colder wx up there :-).
Old 19-02-2010, 10:58   #13

Boat: MANTA 44 POWERCAT
My wife and I use a seal a meal vacume bagging system and keep the items frozen until needed. Works great on spices, herbs and everything else. safe cruising Pegasus44
Pegasus44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 11:12   #14

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
spices

If you like to cook and use a lot of spices, check out SF Herb and Spice Co. For the price of one of those stale little jars from a market, they will mail you a pound of fresh.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 11:18   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I recently bought a bunch if spice jars from the Spice Barn Spice Jars and Labels I bought mostly the one oz plastic for those that I use but not in great quantity such as allspice berries. I also bought some of the larger plastic containers, about the size of the supermarket spice jars for other stuff such as dry mustard, various chili powders etc. About once a year I replace all the spices with fresh due to degradation under heat, and such.

Rich

Edit: I buy most of my spices online from the Spice House due to better quality and price than the supermarket
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote