Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 16:20   #1

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Storing Cheese

My wife and I are headed to the Exumas and we both love cheese. Does anyone have tips on storing cheese? What cheeses store the best?

Thanks
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 17:02   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
I had this in my boat unrefrigerated for about 3 weeks this Summer. It lasted very well.
Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 17:36   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Keeps forever in the fridge. By the way very good cheddar is available in the Bahamas at prices better than the States as it's one of the food items subsidized by the Bahamian government. We take wheels of brie and some of the stronger cheeses as they're not that available in the Bahamas.
Old 01-11-2007, 17:38   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Vacuum seal them very tight in portions just large enough to use up in a couple days. And keep them cool to touch or below.

This has worked very well for us at home. We buy cheese in one pound blocks, while on sale, and divide them into 1/4 # unites (vac sealed) and they'll last more them a month just out in the cool of the garage............_/)
Old 02-11-2007, 12:44   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I have tried some canned cheese, Keeps forever but tasts like silicon paste. The butter and other stuff is fine however
Canned Food

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 15:01   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
I have tried some canned cheese. Keeps forever but tastes like silicon paste. [emphasis added]
And you know this, how?

Will & Muffin - As you quote the late Julia Child, I thought I would add this cheese serving note:

Open all portholes when you cut the cheese.

TaoJones
Old 03-11-2007, 18:48   #7

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Thats funny Tao, I can just hear the old girl saying that with straight face!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 18:51   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Any old time cook book or camping book will give you answers on this. Generally, a hard cheese or a cheese with a hard crust will keep well. (Once the crust is broken, you may have to make fast use of the cheese.) But with a hard cheese like an edam or cheddar, the typical way to keep it is by dipping it in wax or wrapping it in cheesecloth and then waxing it, which excluses the air and preserves it very nicely. Any moldy spots can be safely cut off, then you rinse the cheese with some vinegar to kill any other mold spores that may still be unseen on it (to prevent then from attacking the cheese).

Start off with "sealed" cheese, i.e. Edam, Gouda, Cheddar can all be bought waxed and sealed from the maker in large of small balls. Others like Swiss are available only in much larger wheels. But cheese that has been "cut down" in the store--no matter how clean the store is--inevitably goes bad faster, someone always handled the cheese, or the wrapper, or something, and it starts to mold faster than stuff sealed by the maker.

There are probably some good pages on this on the US Department of Agriculture web site--they used to publish all of this as an aid to farmers and homemakers, and have put most of it online. They're about as safe and reliable a source of food handling information as you can find.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:36   #9

Boat: 31' Muira - Hoplite
We have had a lot of success with storing cheese in vegetable oils like sunflower oil. This keeps the air out. We slice the cheese into strips and store it in the oil in sealed containers. We have stored low grade cheddar cheese for over two years now, and it is still perfect. Just be careful of the mess at sea when removing the cheese! But the oil lost in the process can be used for cooking purposes if planned in advance.

Hoplites

hoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 08:33   #10

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Hmm, great advice. Does this work with other things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplites View Post
We have had a lot of success with storing cheese in vegetable oils like sunflower oil. This keeps the air out. We slice the cheese into strips and store it in the oil in sealed containers. We have stored low grade cheddar cheese for over two years now, and it is still perfect. Just be careful of the mess at sea when removing the cheese! But the oil lost in the process can be used for cooking purposes if planned in advance.

Hoplites
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 09:12   #11

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
Lin Pardey, in her book "The Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew" offer several examples of storing cheese, as well as other provisions, for extended sails.

A book well worth it's purchase price.

Have a great trip!
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 04:13   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Always re-wrap cheese in fresh wrapping, preferably in waxed or parchment paper, after the cheese has been opened to avoid having the cheese dry out or pick up other flavors. If cheese is wrapped in plastic, the wrapping should be changed every few days to allow the cheese to breathe, and to keep the cheese from becoming slimy or discolored.
The recommended temperature range for storing many cheeses is between 35 and 45 degrees Fahrenheit, at a high humidity level.
If cheeses other than fresh cheeses and blues have surpassed their expiration dates (imprinted on the packaging) or if the cheese develops a blue-green mold on the exterior, make a cut about a ½ inch below the mold to ensure that it has been entirely removed; the remaining cheese will be fine.

Butter at room temperature quickly turns rancid when exposed to oxygen, so the usual means of preserving it is to store it in the refrigerator. But all that’s really needed is to keep air away from the butter.

A French Butter Dish (or Butter Crock, or Butter Bell) does this by using water to form a seal between the butter and the air.
There are two parts to the dish: a smaller, bell- or cone-shaped piece that sits on a wide base, and a second, larger container.
You fill the bell up with butter, put water in the larger container, and invert the bell into the water. Because butter is basically an oil, it won’t mix with the water, and as long as it’s not too hot, it will remain sticky enough to stay inside the bell.
You can keep this on your counter-top, so that butter is always available, without having to soften it.
Crocks keep butter fresh at room temperature (up to about 80̊ F) on the counter for several weeks without spoiling (at higher temperatures, the butter may slip out).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 04:53   #13

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
The wax covered cheeses (a full ball, not a wedge with exposed surfaces) will keep well for months unrefrigerated. The flavor strengthens but is still delicious. All you are doing is aging it a little more.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 07:39   #14

Boat: 1977 Kelly Peterson 44
Great.... now all I can think about is Bahamian cheddar and coconut bread cheese toast!
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 11:41   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gord, instead of that french butter bell...couldn't you just fill a crock with butter and cover it with some olive oil, or water? And if the butter floats, stick a weight on it?

(No one-trick ponies allowed in my kitchen, not even French ones.<G>)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote