Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2011, 01:11   #31

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
Re: Storage Containers

vacuum bags are available from amazon in the uk

Food Saver FSR2002-I Pack of 2 Bag Material Rolls for FoodSaver Vacuum-Packaging Machines: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 14:22   #32

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I believe Lock-n-Lock is made in Korea. They are available world-wide. In the US you can get them from QVC. The knock-offs aren't nearly as good.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 17:39   #33

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Snap locks are made in USA and r good if not better than lock and lock. Better because same quality and cheaper.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 13:03   #34

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I use Snapware and love it. They come in several sizes. They have a flip lid that's easier to open and close than the clip ones. They are made of durable clear plastic so you can see what's in them.
Amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 14:22   #35

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

My new galley is having three recessed holes set into the counter top, each 15 cm across, and 11 cm deep. No, the counters are not Corian! . They will in effect just be stainless steel cylinders with a closed bottom, and a lip at the top to keep them from falling thru.

The insides will be lined with 6 mm wet suit foam - primarily for insulation of the containers that will fit in them - to hold the contents at the desired temp. Secondary advantage of the neopream is likely to be noise abatement. I expect to use these as holders for a large supply of identical containers I have ordered, as well as the odd things like wine bottles, my cockpit water bottle, even clean cutlery. Anything that needs a recessed space to hold it securely. I got really tired over the sea miles of using the sink in rough seas and ending up with spilled drinks or slimey containers. I'll figure out how to clean these pits as we proceed; perhaps removable insulating sleeves.

The sink is for washing up, and as a place to put the hot skillet when it comes off the stove (propane, incidentally). There are some great tips in this forum, so I hope you find this tip useful too.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 12:19   #36

I'm new to the forum - hope it is not too late to add to this thread.

We left the US three years ago and crossed the Pacific to Australia in 9 months. Before we left, we stocked up with freeze dried foods which were purchased in #10 cans - which, of course, as soon as they are opened start hydrating and the food spoils rapidly from there. So to prevent this, we bought about $500 worth of Lock-n-Lock containers and used oxygen absorbing packets in each one, along with the freeze-dried stuff. Those containers turned out to be an essential tool for not just long-term food storage, but for many other uses, as well.

First, using them in the ice box or refrigerator prevents spills that are difficult or impossible to clean while underway. After we ate the freeze-dried stores, the containers moved on to other jobs, such as holding cans of varnish to prevent the contents from drying out. Even off-season clothes that need to be stashed away in damp spaces can be kept dry and safe. Engine spares are oiled and stared in these air-tight containers to prevent degradation. And don't forget to order some of the Lock-n-lock egg crates which beat out the camping store version by a mile.

Here in Australia, they sell the Sterite version of these o-ring sealed containers but we have found they are not as good for liquids (which will leak through the lids if tipped over). Wal-Mart used to sell Lock-n-locks but on a recent trip back to the US we noted that they have stopped stocking them. Our favorite source for the full-range is Heritage Mint.

Our only regret is not getting twice as many of these containers before we left - whenever a Lock-n-lock becomes empty on our boat, it is a scramble to see who gets to use it for their 'stuff!'

Cheers, Katherine
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 15:23   #37

Boat: Custom Ketch 52"

I also have been using Lock & Lock containers for several years now, and they are still performing great. One other excellent feature, is that you can store a container holding liquids on its side in the fridge to make it fit, and it will not leak. The gaskets can be easily removed, cleaned of the dark gunk, and easily put back in place. Unfortunately I can't find them in the grocery stores anymore, so buy them when you see them or online. I have recently gotten an OXO brand rectangular container for storing sugar for our coffee and tea, and the invisible push button lid works well so far and is more convenient for the purpose than flipping the sides of the Lock & Lock. It replaced a terrible Better Homes & Gardens brand container from Walmart that I returned after the lid fell off 3x over the course of 2 weeks (ugh!) because the gasket wouldn't hold under the moderate weight of the sugar (mind you they advertise storing beans in these stackable containers, thought of the potential mess gives me the chills). Wasn't grabbing it from the top either. Avoid the aggravation of these duds.
AnnaMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 15:40   #38

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Try snap locks sold at bed bath and beyond. They have a great selection. Snap locks are made in USA.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 16:00   #39
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

My plan is to take up canning I have a pressure cooker that holds 1 pint jars so will be canning meats, sauces etc....
Old 29-11-2011, 16:00   #40

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Here's s link to another range of seal tight containers that may be an alternative to lock n lock. At the bottom of the PDF is the address of their US distributor. I have no association with this company but I will look for them next time int the USA to give them a try out.

http://storageware.clickclack.com/up..._catalogue.pdf
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 13:48   #41

Boat: Custom Ketch 52"

FYI: Lock & Lock's are back at Foodtown grocery stores (located in NJ, NY, & PA) as a limited-time special item. There are 2 sets sold: 1) a large, oblong Bread container with a 1 dozen egg container; 2) 6 pc set that fits inside of a 4.5 Liter / 4.7 Quart container with all different sizes. Take advantage if you are in the Tri-State area!
AnnaMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 10:10   #42

Boat: Beneteau 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaMC View Post
FYI: Lock & Lock's are back at Foodtown grocery stores (located in NJ, NY, & PA) as a limited-time special item. There are 2 sets sold: 1) a large, oblong Bread container with a 1 dozen egg container; 2) 6 pc set that fits inside of a 4.5 Liter / 4.7 Quart container with all different sizes. Take advantage if you are in the Tri-State area!
Last night I went to a Foodtown in Brooklyn and they didn't have the Lock & Lock containers, only the Sterite ones.

There are a bunch more Foodtowns in the area, so I may try again.

Great thread with excellent advice. Thanks!

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 10:19   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is no such thing here in mazatlan as lock n lock container... or foodtown. i use a newly purchased vacuum sealer.....or i use the glad and ziplok brand cheepos that work just fine 'n' dandy
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 10:34   #44

Boat: 38' 1983 Pearson 385 - "Zydeco"

Another vote for OXO:

10 Piece POP Container Set

Available at Wal-Mart, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target, etc.

Probably hard to come by in Mazatlan.........
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 10:39   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

havent seen those either....plastic baggies are still plentiful in mexico-- love em. stack well and double nicely for stuff that may leak out. practical and work well in gear hammocks.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage