Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 09:17   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)
Storage Containers

Gudday!

What are y'all using to store food in? I've got a couple of cylindrical, clear plastic containers that lock air tight with a clip down lever and was thinking of getting some more of the same but was interested in what others are using.
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 10:41   #2

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: Storage Containers

Hello SayGudday... Aboard we use square and rectangular containers exclusively. Round ones waste space. Mostly I've gone middle-price to the Lock and Lock or Sterite brand containers (found at Wal-Mart, not $$$) ... I prefer more containers and smaller sizes versus oversized, nor do we buy the newest ones that are a stiffer plastic/acrylic, preferring the rubbery ones that don't rattle. Huge doesn't work for me either; mostly the medium sized are best suited to my lockers and smaller.

I've found it less costly to go with smaller capacity containers -- and those are far easier to store as well. Good luck, and happy provisioning.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 10:51   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use that which fits into my spaces, whether round or square or oblong or what ..... goood luck an d smooth sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 10:59   #4

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Hello SayGudday... Aboard we use square and rectangular containers exclusively. Round ones waste space. Mostly I've gone middle-price to the Lock and Lock or Sterite brand containers (found at Wal-Mart, not $$$) ... I prefer more containers and smaller sizes versus oversized, nor do we buy the newest ones that are a stiffer plastic/acrylic, preferring the rubbery ones that don't rattle. Huge doesn't work for me either; mostly the medium sized are best suited to my lockers and smaller.

I've found it less costly to go with smaller capacity containers -- and those are far easier to store as well. Good luck, and happy provisioning.
Spot on!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 11:14   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i found sterlite easily found in mexico-- they just donot like sun and high heat-- become brittle and crack easily. keeping out of sun can be easy--is keeping em out of heat that is the trick.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 12:02   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I came across these containers that are collapsible. When not in use they collapse down to around 1/4 to 1/2 in thick, to use just pop them open to full size. The link shows one brand but I believe there are others. I'm not positive but I think I got mine from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Amazon.com: Collapsible Food Storage Containers, Set of 3, by Progressive International: Home & Garden

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 12:31   #7

Thanks for the feedback (as always!) I'd seen the collapsible containers before but didn't know if they were durable or not? SO it was good to hear from someone that was already using them.
Old 15-09-2011, 14:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post

+1 on Lock & Lock. I used to use containers with different lids, but after a few times lids popped open in a storm (yes, my other half did not secure the containers inside the fridge as he was supposed to), I switched to Lock & Lock type (I think there are a few brands) exclusively. These containers can drop to the floor and still remain closed.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 20:25   #9

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35

another +1for Lock & Lock.

For any container, it helps to measure your lockers and find a way to fill up the space with the least wasted space and having to move the fewest items out of the way. Also you do not want to store a lot of "air"

Long shallow containers- make the best of deep spaces without having to move the items out of the way from in the front.

Gatoraide Bottles- (the really large rectangular bottles) I use them for dry goods such as rice, dogfood, oatmeal that are "in use". You can easily pour out of them which reduces the chances of contaminating your food as with scooping.

Large containers for storing like items- I have a very large/deep locker in my galley. To best use the space without losing items in the back, I fit it with a few large airtight containers to store like items together in ziplock bags (one container for pasta, another for breads, dried fruits, dried meats, nuts, crackers) I can store many ziplock bags of pastas in the one container and it takes up much less space than storing each type in a different container. Same with ziplock bags of tortillas, taco shells, pita bread and bagels all in one box.. With items catogorized I can find anything fast and without any digging and nothing gets lost, and they are all double sealed.

cylindrical containers- (since you have them already) They can actually work well if you lay them on their side and use them in one those akward curved spaces against the hull. You know where the bottom of the locker is only 3" wide and becomes 12" deep as it goes up. (canned goods work well stored this way too)

Lids-watch your lids on any container you buy. Ones with latches on the side can waste space because they can be stored next to each other. Watch for ones that are tapered out at the top. They also waste space. Metal latches just won't last.

Square olive oil bottles- I have several that fit perfectly into a very secure locker next to my stove. Only one has olive oil, the rest have other oils and condiments that I want easy access to while cooking. By using all the same bottles I can fit many more condiments into the space. Some won't use any glass containers but I wrap a pony tail holder around the bottle to keep them quite and store them in a secure locker-up to you.

Good luck and take your time finding the perfect containers. Work until you get it just right for you and your boat! (PS places like TJMAXX, and Ross often have high quality containers at discounted prices)

Do you have any pictures of your galley or storage lockers-might help to give specific suggestions?
Old 15-09-2011, 20:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
another +1for Lock & Lock.

Do you have any pictures of your galley or storage lockers-might help to give specific suggestions?
I will have soon. She's in a bit of a state right now with all the work that's just been done but I'll have her back together in the very near future and then I'll post some more pics.
Old 15-09-2011, 20:39   #11

I understand "a bit of a state" . Been there a lot over the last 2 years.

Are you looking for storage for items that you need to access frequently or less frequent long-term type storage containers?
Old 15-09-2011, 20:47   #12

Quote:
I understand "a bit of a state" . Been there a lot over the last 2 years.

Are you looking for storage for items that you need to access frequently or less frequent long-term type storage containers?
Short answer: Both

Long Answer: Well I haven't really spent enough time living on her under 'normal' conditions i.e. the marina is not like cruising lol. But now that most of the work is done, I can live on her as the good lord intended (cramped, cold and uncomfortable in my tiny Triton!) I suspect I'll make some changes to the galley / storage areas. The good news is that I'm a spartan kinda guy so I live light with few creature comforts so getting the food storage right should be a relatively 'simple' matter.
Old 15-09-2011, 21:29   #13

Simple and spartan is good. However, the more efficiently you set up your tiny Triton galley, the less cramped and cold you will feel!! A delicious dinner can be served from that galley and it is hard to feel uncomfortable around good food!

Not really a container tip......but, one thing that has helped me have a very efficient galley is reserving one easily accessable locker to use as my "day locker". I do not permenantly store anything there. Instead I use it to place the ingredients for about a weeks worth of recipes. I use the hard to access storage places such as the bilge, under the settee, etc. as if they were isles of a grocery store. Once a week I go "shopping" in the bilges and replenish the "day locker". This means I always a variety of dinner options that I can throw together without digging up any cushions, floorboards etc.. If I forgot to pull an ingredient out , well, its like going to the store.

Have fun making it work.
Old 15-09-2011, 21:35   #14

Quote:
Simple and spartan is good. However, the more efficiently you set up your tiny Triton galley, the less cramped and cold you will feel!! A delicious dinner can be served from that galley and it is hard to feel uncomfortable around good food!

Not really a container tip......but, one thing that has helped me have a very efficient galley is reserving one easily accessable locker to use as my "day locker". I do not permenantly store anything there. Instead I use it to place the ingredients for about a weeks worth of recipes. I use the hard to access storage places such as the bilge, under the settee, etc. as if they were isles of a grocery store. Once a week I go "shopping" in the bilges and replenish the "day locker". This means I always a variety of dinner options that I can throw together without digging up any cushions, floorboards etc.. If I forgot to pull an ingredient out , well, its like going to the store.

Have fun making it work.
Had similar thoughts myself. My Triton is WCB so it has a water storage tank under the cabin sole....obviously no one in their right mind would actually use it for drinking water so I was thinking I might store some food there and use the limited space in the galley for exactly what you are talking about.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:14   #15

Boat: 36' Herrishoff ketch

I am a new sailor but a long time fan of REAL tupperware. It is more expensive but it really works; lids stay on and food stays fresh.
laura d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage