Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2006, 17:40   #16

Boat: amel super maramu 53 Kimberlite
the best thin to do with silver is to store it in tarnish proof sleeves or in a silver chest.
Haggertys silver polish will not only polish silver but prevent tarnish. if your silver is deeply tarnished, get a product called silver blue. on dip the tarnish is gone. smells like rotten eggs when the silver is dipped.
you must wash afterwards and polish if you like.
i am in the jewelry business and that is how we do it.
fair winds
eruic
Old 20-07-2006, 19:47   #17

Boat: 1974 Cal 29
Titanium Sporks!
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 08:19   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Titanium Sporks!"

See now, that one has me baffled. For a while I thought racers should be using titanium coffee cups to save weight onboard, then I realized racers don't need cups, they can just drink from the coffeepot.

But racers can also eat with their fingers (left hand only, like in certain parts of the third world<G>) and cruisers, well, certainly one wouldn't associate with the ones who are using SPORKS.

One must have some standards.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 10:49   #19

Boat: 1974 Cal 29
When was the last time you ate hot beef stew with your fingers? Granted, a lot of soups (Chicken Noodle especially!) can be drank from a thermos, but after adding enough saltines to satisfy me, even that becomes problematic.

I was going to mention something about the spork being useful for salads as well, but being "manly" men, racers don't eat salads. If they did, they would surely just shove their face in the bowl and "graze".

Regarding coffee, racers have taken it one step further. You see, they just eat the beans whole to save the weight of carrying coffee makers.

But I digress, my utensils are polycarbonate. Ugly but serviceable
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 12:42   #20
cruiser

If you use stainless make sure any stainless you use on a boat is non magnetic . If it's attracted to a magnet it well rust badly in the tropics. The same applies to sinks and strainers.
The made in India stuff is the best.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2006, 19:19   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Seafarer-
"When was the last time you ate hot beef stew with your fingers?"
Long distance racers are more likely to eat hot food, but even then there's a question of whether a dedicated racer will waste weight on a stove.<G>

" but being "manly" men, racers don't eat salads." Yargh! they eat the kelp they've cleaned off the leading edge of the keel! How else do you keep greens fresh, surely ou wouldn't waste weight on a cooler?<G>

"Regarding coffee," And you're not going to tell me you haven't ever heard of The Patch? Now in Nictotine, Scopalamine, and Caffiene flavors.<G>

I learned to save weight from save rock climbers, the kind who drilled holes in the toothbrush handles because teeth are good to keep but every quarter ounce they could knock off, felt a whole lot better above 10,000 feet. Even they had a tradition of "one luxury per person" and you never knew who would pull what out of their pack in the middle of nowhere. Works for me!<G>

Just don't catch my Evil Twin and ask him to lighten the boat. We try to keep him away from sharp objects and sandpaper. <G>

Brent/Louis-
"The [stainless] in India stuff is the best." Do you trust anything made in that corner of the world? I know they are great ship breakers and great scrap recyclers but I'm not sure I'd trust their alloys to spec out to anything. Great source of cheap surgical instruments for non-surgical users, incredible old fashioned hand craftsmen up in Kasmir, but...something often gets lost in the translation.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote