Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 05:52   #16

- I gave up pot 30 years ago after watching some older friends lose all ambition in life.
- Never really enjoyed cigarettes.
- Used to drink way too much caffeine until my doctor pointed out it was likely what what making me nervous and irritable, I gave that up about 10 years ago.
- Gave up soft drinks and MSG about 7 years ago, when I started gaining weight. (except for a small bag of cheetos (nature's perfect food) a few times a year)
- I gave up drinking alcohol about 4 years ago after a friend drank himself to death at age 35.

None of these things were very hard to give up as I wasn't particularly addicted to any of them. (the coffee quit gave me a few days of headaches) I'm also not particularly opposed to any of them, it's not that I wouldn't have a beer or a cup of coffee in a social setting, it's that I don't actively shop for these products. Saves me money, and I don't feel I'm missing anything.

I suppose I qualify as sober, but I can be pretty goofy without chemical help.
Puddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:22   #17

Boat: Nordic 40
We are both coffee drinkers, and I still enjoy an occasional drink, although my wife has given up on alcohol. I have found that I enjoy cruising more without the drugs. Except for coffee - that's a daily requirement.
A hangover on the water is worse than on land, and the one time I let pot on the boat I hit a buoy. Besides, after sailing for almost 30 years I still find it the best high there is.
Sluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:23   #18
blu

Boat: Herroscoff H28 29ft Belo Vula
Was free once. Worst day of my life
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:20   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The coffee vs tea for caeffine is an old wives tale - see: Stash Tea - Knowledge Center - Caffeine and Tea
Same with Chocolate - were the amounts are normally 10% or less of what is in coffee. There are other "stimulants" in chocolate that are much better and have a "happier" effect on humans, especially females.
- - One of the major benefits of a cruising lifestyle is the inability to find "junk" foods in most out of the way places. And given that they do not store well and/or take up too much space, you are pushed to eating basic foods from non-manufactured sources. Local produce, eggs, and chickens, etc. that were raised as "free-range" animals rather than in mega-farm stuff. So our cruiser's diet is pushed toward natural foods and after a few years you get used to the natural taste and texture of such foods. Going back to manufactured and chemically altered foods taste strange. Especially the North American hyper-fat foods that now taste like I am eating SAE30 engine oil.
- - With an advance heart problem I have to stay away from all "accelerants" such as caeffine and other chemicals. Green tea is great in the morning after a year of getting used to it, but like those that quit smoking, I get misty eyes when I see a cappucino or espresso bar. My wife has to shift to walk between me and the cafe pushing me to keep me from circling in.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:22   #20

I'm about as near sober as possible considering your list. The only things I've done are an occasional alcoholic drink and the more common can of pepsi containing caffine. Oddly being 23 I never grew a taste for alcohol so those drinks would be those such as mikes or smirnoff ice. I have one of those drinks maybe every 2 months at social gatherings.
malovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:28   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Not here. I'm addicted to my morning cup of coffee. Although I know I could, I have no reason to break this addiction. I have a beer or some wine maybe once a week at most...unless I am on vacation. I have never tried anything illegal other than pot once when I was a teenager. The idea of trying any of the other illegal drugs has always scared the hell out of me.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:42   #22

That would pretty much be me. Don't drink alcohol or caffeine, have never been drunk or tried a cigarette or "illicit substances". I try to stay away from the chemically modified food too, but we're not 100% yet on that.
The one exception is: I get migraines for which the only effective treatment is a little caffeine - tylenol alone does nothing; tylenol + cup of tea, and I'm much better. But this "medicinal" use is the only one.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52   #23

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Life is sure a lot less fun now, isn't it?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00   #24

Tea is one of the most dangerous substances known to man. The Chinese, Japanese, and the British (and their colonists) were addicted to it. It was the root cause of the American Revolution and the Opium War.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:18   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Never do any of it (unless you count chocolate)- but I was raised that way so I really don't miss it. If you really want to go down this road- I have friends that are vegan and no stimulants/coffee, tea, pop etc. Now they don't eat very much!, but as far as I can tell are as happy as the rest of us.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 13:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Tea is one of the most dangerous substances known to man. The Chinese, Japanese, and the British (and their colonists) were addicted to it. It was the root cause of the American Revolution and the Opium War.
Yes, it's an old theory. Tea is a stimulant whereas alcohol is a depressant and in the days of empire we british drank vast quantities of both. Is it any wonder our nervous systems were confused and that chaos resulted?

On the other hand, back then most "fresh" water was contaminated and caused worms, liver fluke, etc assuming that cholera did not get you first. So in China, the natives drank tea (boiled the water!) whereas in Europe the natives drank alcohol (sterilised the water). Either was safer than water.

On that basis I prefer butter to margarine and sugar to sweetners. The older products have had several millennia of testing and have no side effects unless you eat far too much of them.

BTW, I have six varieties of tea in the cupboard and I think I'll have an Earl Grey. With lemon, of course.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 14:02   #27

The Empire could have been easily saved, if only the British had adopted that great American invention: Long Island Iced Tea. Which of course, contains no tea:

1 part vodka
1 part Tequila
1 part rum
1 part gin
1 part triple sec
1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix
1 splash Coca-Cola

I think I had a couple once - they were good, but I don't remember much else.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 15:12   #28

Boat: Cal 34 "Windemere"
If you want something that will make you forget about your vices....or most anything else, try a Hillbilly Iced Tea.
1 ounce(s) Everclear
1 ounce(s) Tequila
1 ounce(s) Bacardi 151 Rum
1 ounce(s) Gin
1 ounce(s) Triple Sec
1 1/2 ounce(s) Sour Mix
1 ounce(s) Jack Daniels
1 lemon wedge
In a beer mug

Actually I quit drinking 20 years ago so I cant vouch for this concoction.
rjrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 16:53   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Never do any of it (unless you count chocolate)- but I was raised that way so I really don't miss it. If you really want to go down this road- I have friends that are vegan and no stimulants/coffee, tea, pop etc. Now they don't eat very much!, but as far as I can tell are as happy as the rest of us.
I love to cook, love to eat, but 35 years ago did the vegan thing for close to 5 years. Didn't do any damage as far as I can tell (a "friend" or 2 might suggest I suffered brain damage but what were we talking about?). For me the richness of experience is part of cooking and eating and drinking for that matter. There is evidence of fermented grain products in Northern Africa dating almost 6000 years ago. When I wasn't living within the confines of a boat I enjoyed grinding my own grains and mashing them, boiling the wort and fermenting the results to make wonderful beers. It seems to me at least one portion of a fulfilling, healthy life is a good outlook.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 18:03   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It seems to me at least one portion of a fulfilling, healthy life is a good outlook.
I'll raise my water to that!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote