Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2009, 21:36   #16

Send a message via ICQ to gitarwmn Send a message via Yahoo to gitarwmn
Ok, so my other half replied at the same time as me. We are watching a Discovery Channel show where they canned salmon and it sparked our interest.

https://gitarwmn.blogspot.com/
gitarwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 22:02   #17

Boat: naver 29
i've never tried canning meat or fish products but i have made pickles and chutneys with the vegetables i've grown, thats quite easy, the main thing is hygiene as any rogue bacteria in the jar will ruin it. if you have an oven on board (to heat and sanitise the jars)it should be straightforward.
try googling it-thats where i found most of my recipes
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 00:05   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Hot and Cold Smokers from Arden Smoker Supplies

I am a big fan of cold smoking on the boat as you prepare a brining solution (salty or sweet) then introduce the smoke at a low temperature to infuse the food to the preferred flavor. Takes a bit longer, but less heat and just a sealed pan of smoke makes it safer and easier to monitor

An easy way to modify the Little Chief smoker into a cold smoker is to place the food rack on top of the smoker container and just cover it with the box the smoker came in.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 05:49   #19

Boat: "Piscator"
The Camerons smoker noted above works great, smoked bluefish in 20 minutes. It lasts a long time, too. I am still using my dad's that was new over 40 years ago. Stovetop or alcohol flame on the beach (we used to smoke just-caught bluefish on the beach at Cape Hatteras).
Old 15-01-2009, 06:27   #20

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
The Camerons smoker noted above works great, smoked bluefish in 20 minutes. It lasts a long time, too. I am still using my dad's that was new over 40 years ago. Stovetop or alcohol flame on the beach (we used to smoke just-caught bluefish on the beach at Cape Hatteras).
I catch a lot of Bluefish trolling in Long Island Sound. I happen to like Bluefish, but have cooked them the more conventional ways.

Could you give a little detail on the way you smoke the Bluefish. Such as marinades, seasoning and smoke time ?

Sailing and fishing at the same time. You gota love it man.

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 07:51   #21

Boat: Pearson 323 Vision Quest
Do you have a pressure cooker ??? Ragor Makes a pressure cooker, stainless steel and you can buy it with a canning kit included. Canning fish is pretty easy. Look for recipes on the net, the Ragor kit is found easily on EBAY. As far as wood smoking for preservation, remember that the natural tanic acids and other properties are part of the preserving qualities of wood. I have wood smoked salmon, venison, moose, and other fish,
To be smoked for storage, they must be smoked under low heat till pretty dry but not hard, look up brine recipes on the net.
- Bob
bob_deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 20:08   #22

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_deb View Post
Do you have a pressure cooker ??? Ragor Makes a pressure cooker, stainless steel and you can buy it with a canning kit included. Canning fish is pretty easy. Look for recipes on the net, the Ragor kit is found easily on EBAY. As far as wood smoking for preservation, remember that the natural tanic acids and other properties are part of the preserving qualities of wood. I have wood smoked salmon, venison, moose, and other fish,
To be smoked for storage, they must be smoked under low heat till pretty dry but not hard, look up brine recipes on the net.
- Bob
Thanks so much for the reply. We took a look at the Fagor Pressure Cooker and ultimately decided upon something much more basic. We found the Ball Home Canning Basics Kit which appears to have everything we need for canning.... less the possibility of blowing ourselves up with a real pressure cooker. It was much more affordable and is likely to suit our needs just fine.
SweetSurrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 20:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hot and Cold Smokers from Arden Smoker Supplies

I am a big fan of cold smoking on the boat as you prepare a brining solution (salty or sweet) then introduce the smoke at a low temperature to infuse the food to the preferred flavor. Takes a bit longer, but less heat and just a sealed pan of smoke makes it safer and easier to monitor

An easy way to modify the Little Chief smoker into a cold smoker is to place the food rack on top of the smoker container and just cover it with the box the smoker came in.
Sounds great, but what would be the way you would manage this while on the boat? I'm interested in the whole cold smoking possibility, but can it be done in the boat's BBQ?
Old 17-01-2009, 10:31   #24

I am very experienced in smoking but not necessarily on a boat.

Smoking is really easy and can be done in just about anything. I have done it in my ovens, on the grill, and even a new anodized aluminum trash can! All you really need is a something that can hold the smoke in a closed area.

I have a really great smoker that completely contains all the heat and smoke, it is called a Bradley smoker and it is one of the best I have ever used. It uses much less smoke than others because it is completely air tight and has a continuous 8 hour cycle! It is basically set it and forget it (I sound like an infomercial)!

www.bradleysmoker.com

The great thing about this company is that they use bisquettes that you can buy seperetaly. They also work really well on outdoor grills for smoking. The heat is infrared and is completely contained within the unit, so it is as safe if not safer than most propane burners and ovens on Sailboats out there. The only reason you may need a little bit of ventilation is for when you open the door to check on your food.

Just a thought!
Chef to Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 10:43   #25
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Chef to Sail, thanks for that info, have you used the Camerons smokers?

I am trying to make a decision between Camerons and the Bradley you are recommending.

Thanks in advance
Old 17-01-2009, 11:13   #26

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
As someone else mentioned you can dampen the chips, put them in a tinfoil envelope with some slits and place it above the flame or coals on the BBQ, put the cover on and let it smoke away.
You will be brining it first?
Bon apetit
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 14:47   #27

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I have one of the bradley portable propane smokers on my boat. Portable Propane Food and Meat Smoker - How to Smoke Great Tasting Food Anywhere | BradleySmoker.com
It has worked out great. We anchor up and unfold the smoker and set it on the aft deck. It is nice because it folds up into a small duffel/gym bag and we can store it in a locker. We run it off either a small 1lb propane bottle or off the main propane tank. It will smoke a couple of tuna at a time so is fairly large. The metalic tents last through about three sessions and then you discard them and use a new one. Really saves on cleanup, which can be a hassel on the boat.

On our recent cruise down the west coast of Baja we smoked about 40 tuna. Ate a bunch, froze some and gave some as presents. The bradley really does a nice job on fish as well as a roast.
rcmpegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 14:54   #28

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Not to derail the discussion, but when I was cruising, I would make fish jerky. I just cut the fish into small strips, soaked it in liquid smoke and dried it on a rack under the dodger. In nice weather, it dried in a couple of days and would last for weeks. Although I usually ate it faster than that.
Old 17-01-2009, 22:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Not to derail the discussion, but when I was cruising, I would make fish jerky. I just cut the fish into small strips, soaked it in liquid smoke and dried it on a rack under the dodger. In nice weather, it dried in a couple of days and would last for weeks. Although I usually ate it faster than that.
That sounds yummy. How long does it need to soak?
Old 17-01-2009, 22:43   #30
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Is the liquid smoke just another "chemical" that does the trick? Will it be healthy as well?

I am still trying to make a decision between Bradley and Camerons

rcmpegasus ship some smoked tuna asap so I can make a decision lol

Tags
fish, smoke, smoker