Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-11-2008, 02:26   #31

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
WM no longer carries Crocs!

I wish I'd done this sooner!
bottleinamessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 22:52   #32

Boat: Catalina 26'
Sperry, topsiders, classic, JFK style. There great at griping a wet sailboat.

Hayes1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 00:19   #33

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Clarks Falcon boat shoes, the best.
100 bucks a pair but worth it.
I have a old pair of Teva sailing sandles and love them but the traction is going, and they don't make them any more...
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 21:18   #34

Boat: Tayana 37
I found some super cheap crock type shoes, added $8 (more than the shoes) cushy soles, and they are my favorite around the boat/dock shoes.
Cyndimarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 22:20   #35

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
1. For on the boat I usually have 2 pairs of Sperry Topsiders and some shorts and a T-shirt.
2. For just going ashore and hiking or something like that I have a pair of USMC hot weather combat boots and a pair of jeans or shorts and a T-shirt.
3. if I have to dress up on a trip I have a pair of corps. frams, a suit and tie and some slacks and a polo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	569.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	7246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Danner.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	7247  

Attached Images
ad navigare est necessaria ad vitam
Little Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:36   #36

Boat: Albin Vega 27 Lealea
Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post
What about shoes specifically designed and advertised as "Sailing Shoes?" Brands such as Sperry, Sebago, Harken, Slam, ect. Anyone have any experience with these?
Sure. I have a pair of Sperry's on right now; very comfortable and durable too. OTOH, Converse All Stars work just as good for much less $$$. In many ways old fashioned canas sneakers are better than expensive deck shoes. For one thing, they can be thrown in the washing machine.

Not everyone can wear them though and it takes a certain panache to pull off a pair of All Stars with a blazer.
Cruising Log
Latest Videos
Vega1860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:41   #37

Boat: Albin Vega 27 Lealea
Originally Posted by bottleinamessage View Post
WM no longer carries Crocs!
Almost every WM still has Crocs in stock. Depending on individual store managers, they may or may not be on clearance sale.

I just checked and they are still in the 2009 catalog and available on line
Cruising Log
Latest Videos
Vega1860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:09   #38

Boat: Potter 19, Serenity
I carry 5 pairs of shoes on my extended trips: (3 weeks to a month or more)

1.Waste Marine deck shoes I got on sale (double as water shoes, all rubbery texture that drys quickly.

2. Converse - step off the deck onto the dock without having to change anything. Good if you know you're going to be dry on deck. They are so comfy!

3. Heels - to look a little fancy.

flip flops - just good to have.

4. Rock shoes - because you never know when you'll come across something to climb (a big boulder, cliff face, old building) and you never want to be unprepared! These go with me everywhere

90% of the time on the boat I am barefoot. I wear the deck shoes when it's wet, and the converse when it's cold. Flip flops for land, and the heels... well I use the rock shoes more than the heels.

Tennis shoes are way too bulky for me to want to carry! I can carry my rock shoes, flip flops and heels in the same amount of space.
........./| \
.~^~ ^~ /_|__\~^~ ~^~...Need a hand on your cruiser?
~^~^ ~ '======' ~^ ~^~
..take me with you! I'm
..~^~ ~^ ~^~ ~^~ ~^

Thegirlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:45   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Crocs unless it's wet, but they're really a phenominal shoe in general. I have a set of Reef sandals to wear around as well, but that's mainly a fashion thing. Nice set of top-end Sperry dress shoes / dock shoes; works great with jeans and a sport coat. Foul weather boots, and some goretex trail running shoes round out the list.

I wear my crocs 99% of the time.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:03   #40

Definitely my Crocs with the leather upper portion and leather shoestrings (just so they don't look like every other pair of crocs around).

I have some hiking shoes, but haven't pulled them out in 3 months (they're about to go)

I have some flip flops, but I almost busted my @ss on deck, so they're about to go.

My wife has three pair and she rotates through two of them pretty regular. The third she reserves for nice occasions, but we haven't had too many of those since we got on the boat (but she's still hopeful).
1993 Gemini 3400 Catamaran
jcmcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 19:55   #41

Boat: Tayana, 48 - Malachi
I love my Keens, they look way better than crocs and are more comfortable and better for your feet. Plus they protect your toes from all of those deck hazzards!

I brought 5 pairs of shoes for our trip to the south pacific and have only worn three. Flip flops - very good ones (molokini, by montrail), running shoes and keens.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 20:07   #42

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I find now that just about the time when I have the leathers of a pair of dock or deck shoes broken in and not rubbing me the wrong way the soles are worn or slick. Has anyone had these type of shoes resoled? if so with what results?
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 09:39   #43

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Originally Posted by wcsailor View Post
Love these Keen brand shoes: waterproof, great traction, non-marking, toe protection and comfy. Available in mens and womens, different colors too.

I was seriously looking at these.... BUT.... I didn't like the bungee type lacing. Much of my hiking is up and down steep grades (50-60+ degreeish) such as you find on the volcanic islands of the Eastern Caribbean. Going Down Hill in these would appear to jam your toes into the toe guard causing bruising of the toe and nail even when very well trimmed back. I've still got one black nail from a hike on St. John with a pair of the leather boat shoes West Marine sells which is very comfortable on normal boating use and has been for several years. It was just a bad choice for the hike but I don't have room or need for full blown boots that would be a poor choice in the Hot temps I typically hike in.

Anyone have any ideas or links to a source with better/ sturdier lacing techniques?
I prefer a sailboat to a motorboat, and it is my belief that boat sailing is a finer, more difficult, and sturdier art than running a motor.
--- Jack London
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 22:03   #44

I haven't seen this mentioned but has anyone tried these?
Vibram Five Fingers: Discover the Barefooting Alternative
I have a pair and I really like em! I've never used them on a boat, but I regularly bring them camping and swimming with me.
r-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 02:10   #45

Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
My little shoes.......

Hope your all having a fantastic day!

When we started living on our boat I only had one pair of shoes, pink thongs.........oh sorry I should make it clear that I am talking about the tongs (flip flops) on my feet not the other you know thong

In Australia we call flip flops - thongs!

I find the thongs good for chucking in the dinghy and wearing around the place when I don't have to walk very far.

On the boat we have no shoes - bear feet, it is much more comfy that way.

I then got some lovely greenhide boat/deck shoes from an big American chandlery that was having a great sale. I got them for only $20 when they are normally about $100. They are great for wearing in raining/rough weather when I want to keep my feet dry. They dry off really easily too.

Then I got some pink croc type shoes just a few weeks ago (just the cheap version) for about $10 (which I thought was expensive but I loved the colour!!!!). The cros are great for wearing around and getting my feet wet in the dinghy, they are also great here in The Great Barrier Reef in Australia (where we are at the moment) for protecting our feet from sharp rocks and coral etc.

Apart from that I have a pair of nice dress shoes for when we go out to a nice party of dinner for a treat.

I also got some solid running/bushwalking shoes at Christmas again as a bargin reduced from $200 to only $40 AU. I use them for long walks to town or the shops, and for bush walking, exploring and doing hikes etc. Before I got them I would just wear my boat shoes walking and give them a good wash afterwards.

I just look out for the bargains and get anything I need when a really good deal pops up.

But you don't need many shoes on a boat. Just a couple of pairs to cover relaxing, bush walking, dress shoes etc.

I must point out that I have found croc type shoes are not so good to wear on land in wet/rainy weather as I often slip or almost fall on my butt, and thongs are not so good to walk in sand or muddy wet stuff in as they will flick up and I wend up with either sand all over the place or bits of mud all over my butt. Also walking in rocky sand I end up with little bits of rocks stuck in my crocs.....thatís when I usually just go barefoot.

Croc type shoes are cool too as you can decorate them and get little cute things to stick on them and make them more special!

Have fun!

Nicolle from Sea Life

"Life is all about Sailing, Smiles & Inspiration"
nicollej is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: