Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2007, 14:52   #1

Boat: NONE yet
Shark

I have looked here and did not find anyone talking about cooking shark. Do you just not catch them or are you not willing to eat them. I live in a land locked state, AZ (for now) and I like shark. Get it when ever the store has it, I have only cooked it one way, but was wondering who else her likes it and any different recipes you may have for it.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 15:08   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have eaten baby shark caught off the coast of Australia. When cruising and trolling have never caught one. When I'm spearfishing I always get out of the water if one comes around.
Old 30-10-2007, 15:15   #3

SHARK TERIYAKI SORTA

1 lb Shark steak
1 tb Teriyaki sauce
1 ts Honey
1 tb Lemon juice
3 tb Margarine; melted
1 Garlic clove; minced
1 tb Sesame seeds

Place fish in one of those hinged wore grills sprayed with Pam, etc.
Combine remaining ingredients and baste fish. Cook 4 to 6 inches from moderately hot coals for 4 to 5 minutes.
Baste with sauce and turn. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily, (Makes 3 servings)
Old 30-10-2007, 15:15   #4

SHARK AMANDINE (Also works well for mahi-mahi or swordfish)

1/2 c Slivered almonds
2 T Butter
2 T Chopped parsley
6 T Melted butter
1 T Grated lemon rind
2 T Freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 Shark fillets
4 T Sherry
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 lb Bacon; fried and crumbled
4 Green onions; chopped
Lemon wedges

Lightly brown the almonds in the butter and set aside. Add parsley, butter, lemon rind, and juice.
Rub both sides of the fillets with the sherry and place on a broiler pan. Sprinkle with pepper.
Spoon some of the butter mixture over each fillet. Broil for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets.
Turn over, spoon on more butter sauce and continue broiling until done. Do not overcook or the fish will be dry.
Remove to a serving platter.
Sprinke with the almonds, bacon, and green onions. Garnish with lemon wedges.
COMMENTS: Swordfish or mahi-mahi may be substituted if shark is unavailable.
Yield: 4 servings

Old 30-10-2007, 15:21   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Love some shark steaks

The best shark meat is thresher shark. I call it the steak of the sea. Problem is that the species is threatened. The best cuts are fleece white. I have bought some shark meat that was not the same and off-color and it was still good yet not the exquisite flavor and texture as good fresh thresher and I do not know what species it was.

I keep a seasoned cast iron skillet on board for cooking thick halibut filets or shark. When these meats are cooked just right the meat starts to flake apart and is never fried or overbaked. I put olive oil (just enough to cover the inside of the pan), add an equal amount of canola oil and a few pats of butter. I preheat my oven to 375 deg. F or slightly more. On the stove top I heat the skillet slowly then raise the burner and sear all sides of the shark steak before putting the skillet into the oven. It only takes 15-20 min.

For more flavor and presentation I like to prepare slices of portobella mushrooms, and wedges of tomato. Before searing the fish I sautee the leeks, thinly sliced, along with crushed garlic bits, then add the mushrooms and tomato after searing the fish.

Bon Apetit!
Old 30-10-2007, 17:38   #6

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
In Australia, we eat a lot of shark. But, in order to make it sould more attractive, the fish shops and restaurants gnerally refer to it as "flake" rather than shark. It is actually pretty good eating.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 18:17   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Blood in the water...

While I have never done it myself my understanding is that shark needs to be bled immediately after catching if it is to have a good taste.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 18:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
While I have never done it myself my understanding is that shark needs to be bled immediately after catching if it is to have a good taste.
Yes you are correct.
Old 30-10-2007, 19:17   #9
Kai Nui

THey also need to be soaked in salt water. They urinate through their skin, and will have a bad taste if not properly soaked out. We discivered this the hard way. Unfortunately, I have not caughtone in enough years to tell you how long to soak them out. Hopefully someone else here can give you more detail.
Old 30-10-2007, 20:58   #10

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
BBQ SHARK

4 small black tip sharks fillets skinned
Brush on your favorite BBQ sauce and grill.

Back in the day I used to go shark fishing off Port Royal Island in SC. I would anchor off a point and wait for the tide to run out. As the boat would swing around and go over a drop off you would get a hit almost every time. The black tips were in the 3'~4' range. You would have enough time to land the shark, rebait the hook and get it over the side before you went over the drop off again. Every once in a while you would hook something big, really big. I had one strip off about 100 yds of line and when it surfaced 100 yds out it was about as long as the transom was wide... time to cut the line. Other times you could hear the steel leader go ting, ting ting, over the sharks teeth, and the leader would break. Fishing for sharks is fun and easy, just be careful when landing them. A 4' shark is alot stronger than you think.
Old 30-10-2007, 23:57   #11

Soak the meat in milk overnight, and rinsing it by soaking in more milk for a few minutes gets rid of the ammonia taste. Otherwise freezing for 7 days works- that's how the food trade do it, I believe. You can also dry sharkmeat into what we here call "biltong"- (dried meat a bit like Jerky to look at, but much better to eat), but you've been warned: shark biltong is unspeakably salty. You'd be better off rinsing your mouth with alum wrapped in sandpaper- it's less dehydrating!
Splash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote