Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 17:18   #1

Boat: Buizen 48
Seeking 4.5kg Alloy Propane Tanks

I'm looking for 4.5kg alloy propane tanks (very light, assume they are aluminum alloy) to replace my 3kg steel tanks. They use to sell 4.5kg alloy tanks down here (NZ), but now only 5kgs alloy tanks are available.

The 4.5Kg was going to be "a stretch" to fit but I believe it would be possible. New models of my yacht come with twin 4kg tanks.

Two 4.5kg tanks would increase my propane capacity by 50% over my two current steel 3kg tanks.

Any ideas?

BTW, especially intersted in hearing from indididuals from "down underr" (NZ & Aussie)
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 18:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I had two 10 lb alloy tanks on the last boat. Really nice tanks but I sure would pay that price today. They were 18 years old too. Have you looked at the fiberglass tanks. We have a few threads on them here and if you can get the good ones they may serve the purpose. The alloy tanks here last I check were about $250 US for the 10 lb tanks. Serious money no doubt.

Currently, on my boat I'm using the standard steel 20 lbs tank and replacing it every three years at about $28 US per tank. Cost benefit is sort of keeping me there but the good glass tanks also have a window in them that makes it nice to see the level in the tank. Way better than a gage.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 19:11   #3

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
The alloy tanks here last I check were about $250 US for the 10 lb tanks. Serious money no doubt.

standard steel 20 lbs tank and replacing it every three years at about $28 US per tank. Cost benefit is sort of keeping me there but the good glass tanks also have a window in them that makes it nice to see the level in the tank. Way better than a gage.
Thanks for this. The 5kgs run ~NZ 300. Are these the typ you are referring to?:

Products - Burnsco Marine and Leisure

Have yet to see fiberglass tanks available in NZ, don't know about Aussie ... perhaps it's a regulation thing down-under...

Still hoping some down-under posters also respond to this thread....
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 19:38   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Are these the typ you are referring to?:
They look the same. They were great tanks. Always nice to have two since you never know when one goes empty. A lot of money however.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 19:40   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I notice theres a 4kg instead of 4.5kg for $70AU at Bunnings. The dimensions are the same as the French 4.5kg the Beneteau box fits.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 14:43   #6

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Just signing in as another NZ member ... Samsara is a Mana (Cook Strait) boat. I am not aware of alloy tanks in NZ different from the Burnsco range. We have the 5kg alloy, but as space is an issue to you could one of the many similarly-sized steel tanks do the job.

A few kilos weight does not seem much of an issue on a 48' boat. Is corrosion the issue, or are steel versions the wrong size too? Pretty sure I have seen steel 4.5s ... perhaps try Mitre 10, Placemakers and Bunnings ...

By the time you price in a ten year tank test, a high purchase price and do an NPV, your accountant would say "throw away a steel tank every few years". But owners of lightweights (me) are just not that rational!
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 21:06   #7

Boat: 1987 Watkins 25 Wu-Hsin
We have aluminum on our boat and our son has steel...not much difference if you keep the steel painted. We have steel tanks for our Barbee that are over 10 years old an have been outside the whole time. If you want to shop the following site has the best US prices I've found: Vertical Aluminum Propane Tanks

In another thread someone said composite tanks are not accepted by some installations for filling, possibly fear of the unproven/unknown.
cosmosmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 14:07   #8

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Had a look in Bunnings while on another errand for the boat ... 4 kg steel tanks are available for NZ$65. (A 10kg tank is NZ$45... go figure.) The 4 kg tank has a small male screw thread, vs the larger female thread on 10 kg tanks. So you need an adaptor if you do not have a suitable regulator.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote