Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2009, 08:00   #1

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
Seawind 'Grill' and Baking

I just saw a thread about baking and it sparked a question. We just bought a Seawind 1000 and it has a nice grill on it. We don't have an oven and I thought that would be a problem. Rusty doesn't want to get a convection oven because he thinks it would generate too much heat.

I never thought about baking on the grill. Is anyone out there familiar with the grill I am talking about? It is standard I think on Seawinds. If so, can you share any tips on baking on the grill. I am especially interested in baking bread...would love recipes. We are getting ready for our first extended cruise and I am a neophyte. All advice, wisdom etc. is welcomed.

Thanks,

Linda
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 08:05   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
We don't have that particular grill, but we bake on ours during the summer to keep cabin heat down. Everything from Pizza to Blackberry Pie. The secret is to get a pizza stone to diffuse the heat, and to use the lowest setting possible on the burner.
Old 17-11-2009, 08:57   #3

I have a Pampered Chef pizza stone. Will that work. I also have other Pampered Chef cookware I have never used. Could those be used on the grill? Our grill has a nice heavy cover.
Old 17-11-2009, 09:06   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
our problem with pizza stones has been in terms of storage. We Bash the boat a bit offshore and the stone breaks in half. If you can solve this problem, you're golden.
Old 17-11-2009, 18:07   #5

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
As in the other post you refer, one of my first improvements to the boat I am seriously looking at purchasing will be a removable/portable stainless steel gas BBQ with a hood to mount on the stern.

The first reason is that I enjoy catching and eating fish and from my experience using Webbers, a BBQ with hood is the perfect tool for baking whole fish (roasts, veges, lobsters, garlic bread….,,,). Likewise, once you get the hang of regulating temperatures you can use them to bake almost anything. Even in commercial kitchens most standard ovens will have there own little problems with distributing heat evenly and/or reaching the optimum temperature. Given this, a little trial and error is rarely going to be avoided. Best thing is just get a few basic recipes and go for it!

Secondly, the boat I am looking at has an A1-exemplary teak fit out. No way a mug like me is going to start chopping it up to put in an expensive space consuming oven when the BBQ with hood can do the same job. Worst case scenario I could even bring the BBQ inside provided I leave enough ventilation etc..,

Enjoy!
Old 20-11-2009, 04:01   #6

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Linda: if the grill you have has an indirect setting on it ...it will bake things nicely.....just make your standard bread recipe, put it in a loaf pan,then in the center of the preheated grill....time may vary due to wind conditions....if it doesn't, use something to direct the heat up the sides,,,foil,,,stone....hope this helps.....................Ed
Old 14-12-2009, 11:33   #7

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to cheat! I just bought a GE countertop convection oven. It pulls alot of amps 1500 so I might just have to use it most of the time with shore power but we will see. If it doesn't work out I will give it to one of our kids. It wasn't expensive.
Old 28-01-2010, 10:01   #8

We had a trailer before we upgaded to a boat and there was nothing I could not cook / bake on it. We had a stove and an oven in the trailer but only used it to warm the place up on a cold night. Use indirect heat as much as possible and turn whatever you are cooking on a regular basis. Good luck
the_cowper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill, Seawind