Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 07:56   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Seaweed that tastes like bacon!

Now make it so it grows on my hull, so any time I need bacon I just clean the bottom

Scientists have found a seaweed that tastes like bacon - Life & Style - NZ Herald News

The protein-packed algae sea vegetable called dulse grows extraordinarily fast and is wild along the Pacific and Atlantic coastlines. It has been sold for centuries in a dried form around northern Europe, used in cooking and as a nutritional supplement. ... Chris Langdon has created a new strain of the weed which looks like a translucent red lettuce. An excellent source of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, the "superfood" contains up to 16 per cent protein in dry weight. ... It has twice the nutritional value of kale." Langdon says, "When you fry it, which I have done, it tastes like bacon, not seaweed. And it's a pretty strong bacon flavor."
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 08:15   #2

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Seaweed that tastes like bacon!

Sounds intriguing, but they will need to get the price down. The article referenced says a dried strain currently sells for $90 for 500g (1.1 lbs). I can buy a lot of real bacon for $90.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote