Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-01-2009, 19:41   #16

Boat: islandpacket
Your trying to reinvent the wheel. Even if you could " filter" out the salts how long will the filter last and at what cost.

Old 29-01-2009, 19:43   #17

Boat: Bruce Robert 360 - 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
This system is designed for purifying domestic drinking water and will be no good for seawater
Of course, but I wasn't thinking of using it for that as is, i was thing of using it as a basis for a system that would do that, which I'm sure can be done, its just a question of how many extra filters and power would be needed....

Old 29-01-2009, 19:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Your trying to reinvent the wheel. Even if you could " filter" out the salts how long will the filter last and at what cost.
Well the filters of the machine that does do this are said to last a year(see the west marine link)... and I'm sure that buying the spare filters from that company and adapting them for this would work out cheaper than their machine... (or at least hope... I probably won't have the time or money to do this, but I like thinking about these kind of things...)
Old 29-01-2009, 19:50   #19

But my logic behind this idea is, that if they can make a machine that does 40gal/day and draws only 4a @ 12v and sell it and make a profit for $3300, then surely a 2-4gal/day machine is possible for cheaper?
Old 29-01-2009, 19:52   #20

Boat: islandpacket
Well good luck with that. I do hope you figure it out. But you assume too much. imho
Old 29-01-2009, 19:53   #21

Lol... well assuming that you can't do something and never knowing is worse than assuming that you can and failing IMHO...
Old 29-01-2009, 19:55   #22

The human race wouldn't of got much past making fire if we all thought that...
Old 29-01-2009, 22:09   #23

Boat: custom built 47' wooden trawler yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
The human race wouldn't of got much past making fire if we all thought that...
Given the state of the environment maybe that would have been a good thing.

This is just a thought ( and maybe its a stupid one), but I wonder if you could take one of the hand pump ones and rig it up to a motor or engine and go about it that way. The old type of par diaphram pump had a sort of connecting rod that went up and down, however I'm not sure how much power it takes to pump a manual one.

That type of elitist thinking has ballooned the cost of boats, and cruising , far beyond what it need be, and beyond the reach of too many low income cruisers, for no benefit. --Brent Swain
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 22:15   #24

'I wonder if you could take one of the hand pump ones and rig it up to a motor '

That is a fine thought quidam!
And I can't help but agree with your other thought too!
Old 29-01-2009, 22:18   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Jaz you're a hoot and a Rube Goldberg holler and definatly a guy to have at a party full of sailors. When and if you get back with those barrels of Cuban Rum look me up I just gotta check out your boat.

PS Spectra will be raffling off a Ventura 150 at the Latts and Atts party in Miami this Feb. Buy a few arms length of tickets and good luck. LOL
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 22:51   #26

Haha... thx Tellie!
Old 29-01-2009, 22:56   #27

But even if I wanted to, I would have alot of trouble getting back into the US from Cuba, especially carrying Cuban Rum!!!
My plans are for more out of the way places, and I doubt that I'll be visiting the US or Europe anytime soon.
But I shall certainly post updates of my travel's here and attempt to meet up with anyone who fancies a drink or three at port!
Old 30-01-2009, 00:31   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40
Filters and semi-permeable membranes are not quite the same thing. Filters are not going to remove salt. Semi-permeable membranes are used in reverse osmosis (RO) watermakers. (Some people say filter when they are actually talking about the semi-permeable membrane in their RO.)

You're going to have troubles modifying the freshwater RO. Osmosis pressure is related to the concentration of the solution. The freshwater RO is designed only for very low concentrations of salt (see the last link below, Gord's contribution). The parts of the fresh water RO are only designed for about 70 psi, this is not high enough for the concentration of salt in sea water, so nothing will happen. The only way to make it work is to turn up the pressure (to around 800-1000 psi), that means replacing everything on the freshwater RO.

John

Osmosis pressure equation and example.
ChemTeam: Osmosis Equation

Description of RO.
Reverse Osmoses.

Discussion of trying to use under sink RO.
no energy input water maker
Old 30-01-2009, 04:59   #29

Boat: deboated
All I hope is I do not run into capt jaz for if there was a way to make life more difficult he will find it. Between wind generators and water makers I need another rum oh no that too
Old 30-01-2009, 05:13   #30

Cheers John, thats the most objective view I've had on this point so far. Just woke up though, so not ready to turn my brain on yet till I've had my coffee...
Lol.. meyer... Most things in life are easier when you go everywhere that everyone else goes and have money to pay the asking price for everything you want, but where would the fun be in that??
:P

Tags
drinking water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: