Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2014, 11:45   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Search for One Can Meal, Part Deux

The previous thread was SO good but it drifted into a pro and con discussion about salt. I stick to my recommendation to buy no- and low-salt canned foods where possible. This then gives YOU the option of adding table salt, Kosher salt, iodized salt,MSG, one of the many gourmet and specialty salts or "lite" salt high in potassium. Your sodium intake is between you and your doctor but what's not to like about having options?
Old 28-07-2014, 05:51   #2

Boat: S-2 9.2cc
Re: Search for One Can Meal, Part Deux

We use the freeze dried(for lack of a better term) breakfast meals bought at Wally World. They are extremely high in cholesterol and since I have to be very careful of that, use only every couple days. They make great breakfast burritos and very cheap. A package lasts us for 2 meals, so each meal is about $1.50/ea. per meal. The package costs around $6.50 get 2 meals for 2 people, you do the math. Damn cheap. The larger noodles(ramen) is the other meal for the day. On a boat I only eat twice daily, really have not done anything to work up an appetite,both wife and I do. Often a bowl of popcorn at night while reading,maintenance,etc. we have boat all provisioned for over 2 months now, leave on our cruise south first weather window after Aug. 7. There is a multitude of cheap,easy to prepare,and easy to store foods out there. Not to say we do not have some canned foods, but very little, mostly veggies for now, will buy them fresh as we get further south. Cans are heavy,bulky,expensive. We have done it many times for our shorter (week or so) cruises. Easily get by around $5/day for both of us if you watch what and where you buy. May not be as good as a 12 oz. sirloin with all the fixings, but life is a series of compromises. What do you want more, the cruising life style or the stuck on land life? This life is not for all people, but this is how we are and will do it. Just our thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 01:00   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Janet,

FWIW, If you home can, you can make excellent one can/canning jar meals. Failing that, the search for the one can meal that is both visually attractive and gustatorialy fulfilling is a real challenge. For me, some of the French tinned cassoulets make the grade, but they are not economically sound.

Ann
Old 29-07-2014, 01:13   #4

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quite enjoy a simple can of baked beans for breakfast lunch or dinner and as a snack as well.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 05:14   #5

Oh, I enjoy the pork and beans, but no one else around me will, and there has been talk about someone going over board. I am not sure what that means, but....... When we were coming home every couple weeks, you bet, we took most all our food that the wife had canned. But now going for a couple years minimum, space is at a extreme premium and do not want to throw away the mason canning jars, shopping has become quite a endeavor. And along with the health thing, we are really careful what we buy. The criteria for our food first, must be healthful, second, must be cheap, third, must be stackable and easily storable. It really is amazing the amount of good for you food that is really tasty,too. Also, the fruit and fresh veggies make up a good portion of our diet.

Old 29-07-2014, 05:24   #6

I know that this is not really canned food, but I did have a dehydrator along, but the 110v. option was not really a viable one, so sold it and will now start drying the meats and fish on the racks I have made. Won't really be jerky, so am not sure of outcome. Did it often for survivalist mind-set while on land, but not sure about marine environment. I have not found a 12 v. model, that would be perfect. Drying,jerking meats and fish would really open many doors for us, sales,saving space,know what your food really is made of,etc.

Old 29-07-2014, 08:12   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

I hate can food and we "never" eat it anything processed onboard.

Why eat canned or processed when you can eat fresh?

Why cruise, if you cannot eat well?

Exactly.

So, as the ocean days counter hits double digits, our fresh supplies will dwindle and then somewhere around week 3 we have to reach to the can locker.

Still, with such a great choice that one can see in any decent supermarket, we will only buy "no additives" grade.

So then it will be say pasta with sundried tomatoes, olive oil and garlic; or rice with beans and onions, till we get to the other side.

The only canned ingredients being the beans or the tomatoes, here we go with our One Can Meal, well, "".

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 10:03   #8

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Would love to see your food or meal list. When we go I always use a meal planner by day and buy or can accordingly but I only have 14 days.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 11:10   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Why use a planner?

Why not just have a supply of basic ingredients and then eat whatever you feel like on any given day?

Not to say there is no planning involved while stocking.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 11:25   #10

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnCamie View Post
When we were coming home every couple weeks, you bet, we took most all our food that the wife had canned. But now going for a couple years minimum, space is at a extreme premium and do not want to throw away the mason canning jars, shopping has become quite a endeavor.
I don't understand. Why throw away the Mason (or Ball) jars? You have room for them full so you have room for them cleaned and empty. At your next opportunity to do a big provision you do more canning and they are full again. New lids don't take much room and some of us (*ahem*) use them over a few times anyway.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 11:57   #11

We use them all the time at home, but I really do not like having glass jars on board. Accidents happen, and I am a walking accident it seems. We do not throw them away, wife would never allow that. Canned meat (deer,elk,etc.) works well, but so does jerky and much easier to keep. For the 2-3 year cruise we are leaving on in a couple weeks, much easier to purchase what we need as far as meat products. Canned and such take up lots of room, and on a 30' boat,space is at a premium. Since we have to cut way back on red meats, seems like best corner to cut, and I know for a fact we can buy a whole chicken for about 2 dollars. That will suffice for our meat needs now. More room for home dried and store bought dried foods.

Old 29-07-2014, 12:05   #12

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

We all have to make our own choices.

I'm not a fan of dried foods for cruising - water is often a bigger deal than food.

Fresh is always best, I agree.

Cans, home done or commercial, are great as part of a provisioning plan.

We've broken two pieces of crystal and a flower vase in eight years. YMMV.

A lot depends on your interests. We LIKE to cook so canning is an enjoyable part of the process for us.

Congratulations on heading out. Do what is fun. Skip the rest. *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 14:17   #13

Thank you for the thought. I agree, fresh is best. My wife is a cooking fanatic, and continues to amaze me with what she dreams up, and yes, most are pretty good! Fresh home-made bread from a cookie sheet and a bread pan over a alcohol stove is always a real treat. As they say, do what works for you. Stay safe. Bob

Old 10-08-2014, 13:19   #14

Boat: boatless wonder

One of my favorite salads is perfect for this situation.

I bought a few sprouting trays and huge bags of seed that keep no problem. I spread a layer of seed in a tray and wet it each day. In the heat within a few days the tray is packed solid with sprouts (fresh).

I pry out a gob, spread it out in a bowl.

I mix some instant milk and get it hot then pour some vinegar in (curds & whey) known nowadays as pot cheese.

I sprinkle some cheese, bacon bits on the sprouts and top with salad dressing - fresh, delicious, healthy - with some Triscuit on the side. For the full monty a side dish of baked beans from a jar.

To my bemusement the dogs are WILD about the vile green whey - go figure.

Sprout seeds
Instant milk
Vinegar
Bacon bits (I know optional)
Salad dressing (mmmm blue cheese)
Triscuit

Mozzarella is quite similar to pot cheese and easy to make fresh using instant milk.

For meat get a roll of pepperoni - slice or dice it and it keeps well.

Beats anything canned, but even cheapo P&Bees taste better with some pot cheese and pepperoni dice.
Lubber4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 13:28   #15

Boat: boatless wonder

Instant milk
Mayonnaise
Sweet relish
Ketchup

Thin the mayo to desired consistancy with milk, add relish, ketchup (or even catsup), stir.

Thousand Island dressing for those who can't afford the bottled stuff.
Lubber4now is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc