Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2015, 00:26   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Post Scone Recipes Needed. "The Breakfast Challenge" pt.2

G'day Gents & Ladies,
So... I've got a long, fun filled delivery for & with a friend looming. And am looking for some new, & delicious, Scone recipes for said trip.
~ Hey, I am half Scottish: As in Mom came over on the boat, literally!
And, on a delivery, ages ago, my Manifold Made Scones were a HUGE hit. Although it did require the statement of a witness (an attorney no less) for some to beleieve that I had actually cooked them via the engine @ 0300.

That said, if you have some Scone recipe's which you think will survive the judgement of hungry sailors. As well as guaranteeing them to vanish faster than a Virgin on Prom Night, then by all means please post the instructions & ingredients for your candidate.

When it comes to a breakfast delicacy's prep, KISS never hurts, but it's by no means a requirement. And I'm still looking for some smokin hot-n-delicious ways to start the day. So if you've got an awesome Scone recipe, share it... & risk judgement in so doing .

As to part 3 of the "Breakfast Challenge", I'll be back with another, different recipe type, request... For which, recipe type suggestions are welcomed.
So (please), warm up your wee hours cookbooks, as... Breakfast's good any time of day (like you didn't know).

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 18:27   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Scone Recipes Needed. "The Breakfast Challenge" pt.2

I do biscuits, but not scones.

So, for your next category, how about muffins?

Ann
Old 26-06-2015, 14:32   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
..... on a delivery, ages ago, my Manifold Made Scones were a HUGE hit. Although it did require the statement of a witness (an attorney no less) for some to beleieve that I had actually cooked them via the engine @ 0300.

That said, if you have some Scone recipe's which you think will survive the judgement of hungry sailors. As well as guaranteeing them to vanish faster than a Virgin on Prom Night, then by all means please post the instructions & ingredients for your candidate.
Uncivilized, are you going to share your Manifold Scones recipe? Skimpy clothes may not be the best attire for cooking this creation though .

I am with Ann - I have found classic scones (butter rubbed into flour, milk added, dough rolled and circles cut), not ideal on board. Butter doesn't keep well long term and all that rolling and cutting is messy work. Instead, muffins (non sweet) rule .

Serve as you would do scones - split in half with dollops of homemade marmalade or jam and thick cream (long-life is surprisingly good). Leftover muffins are fantastic halved and grilled with cheese, tomato and freshly cracked pepper. Perfect with pre dinner drinks.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 14:47   #4

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

This makes about 6
1.5 cups self raising flour
60 ml milk
60 ml water
30 ml lemonade or soda
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons melted butter( NZ Tinned butter keeps for ever well nearly ever)
Dry ingredients into bowl add butter ,mix with hand until like breadcrumbs add liquids mix together with fork to make dough more flour or liquid to suit but just needs to be able to be taken from bowl in one piece.Put on bench or board with a little dry flour and form into a ball but do not overwork it.Flatten by hand to about 25 ml and cut into six or so.Bit of milk on the top into hot oven cook until a little brown on top.
Then deliver to my boat with jam for testing.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 15:37   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I do biscuits, but not scones.

So, for your next category, how about muffins?

Ann
Is that merkin "biscuits", or real ones
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 18:36   #6

Murrikan biscuits, Stu, cousins to scones, but without sugar.

Ann
Old 27-06-2015, 00:09   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Murrikan biscuits, Stu, cousins to scones, but without sugar.
Ann
Sugar in scones? I have never used sugar in scones.
This prompted me to investigate further .

Interestingly, about half the recipes I found used sugar for both scones and biscuits. At a quick glance, only difference I can find between the two is that biscuits seem to use a higher proportion of butter and are sometimes bigger. Any other differences Ann? I have never had a Murrikan biscuit.

While browsing, I stumbled on this prize-winning recipe from the Geelong Country Women's association (the CWA was formed in Australia as a support group for women living in isolation in rural areas in the early 1900's). The annual Geelong show and competitions have been going strong since the 1940's.

The recipe is unusual in that cream instead of butter is used:
How to make the perfect scone, according to the Country Women’s Association | Geelong Advertiser

CWA Scone Recipe
* Turn on the oven to 200°C (400°F)

INGREDIENTS
* 3 cups of flour — sifted (I think this needs to be self raising flour)
* 1 good ½ to ¾ tsp of baking powder
* Pinch of salt

METHOD
* Half fill a cup of full cream milk and top up the other half a cup of cream — room temperature
* Pour the cream and milk and mix into the flour
* Fold lightly with a knife
* Tip onto a floured board
* Knead lightly and cut or roll them out
* Put in the oven in the next one from the middle
* Take about 10-15 minutes

SCONE TIPS
Mrs Margaret Primmer’s Scone tips:
* Always use full cream milk and cream at room temperature (you can microwave for up to 15 seconds to take the chill out)
*Always sift the flour
* Gently handle the scone dough, roll and pat it lightly
* Don’t fall into the trap of making them too big as they can lean or flop over
*Follow the recipe precisely

I had to share this gorgeous photo of CWA show judge Margaret Primmer, who has been a member for over half a century and a scone judge since 1979.
"The energetic 82-year-old has made many thousands of scones over the years and knows an outstanding example when she sees one."

Civilized, if this recipe gets the nod from Mrs Primmer, surely it must be the winning entry in your challenge to find the best scone recipe?

Old 27-06-2015, 01:47   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

BTW, is it skon or skoan?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 02:04   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
BTW, is it skon or skoan?
Roses come to mind .

Old 27-06-2015, 05:27   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
BTW, is it skon or skoan? ::
Skon. I was brought up on the better side of the tracks and only the prize wife of the nouveau riche would say skoan.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 06:24   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I think the goodies called em scoaaans. SWL my grandma used to take me along to the CWA meetings on the tram when I was about 5. Lots if fun knitting poodle baby powder covers.
Of course I've made Jen learn to make scones with jam and cream, my fave!
I'm not sure what her recipe is for that one but when some fellow cruisers asked for her French crepe recipe and she didn't have time to show them before they sailed, she made a cute video for them..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 12:09   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I think the goodies called em scoaaans. SWL my grandma used to take me along to the CWA meetings on the tram when I was about 5. Lots if fun knitting poodle baby powder covers.

Of course I've made Jen learn to make scones with jam and cream, my fave!
I'm not sure what her recipe is for that one but when some fellow cruisers asked for her French crepe recipe and she didn't have time to show them before they sailed, she made a cute video for them..
Beats knitting toilet paper covers .

Compliments to Jen on her great wrist action and awesome flipping skills . Her crepes look fabulous!

SWL

Old 27-06-2015, 13:08   #13

SeaworthyLass, et al,

With regards to your post #7,

Here's one of my Murrikan Bisquits recipes: It is out of an old Betty Crocker cookbook.
2 c. plain flour [self raising flour was not commonly used where I lived]
3 teaaspoons baking powder ("double acting", means it has baking soda plus tartaric acid)
1 ts. salt
1/4 c. shortening, or lard
3/4 c. full cream milk

If you want them to be Southern Biscuits, you add 2 Tablespoons shortening and decrease the milk to 2/3 c.

Drop biscuits (dropped from a spoon onto the bakiing sheet) have 1 cup of milk.

The method is to use a pair of knives, or a pastry blender and cut the shortening into the combined dry ingredients till the size of small peas, then add milk till the dough is soft and easy to roll out. knead lightly. Roll or pat out to 1/2" thick. At this point I used to cut them into a diamond shape, but there are traditionally round biscuit cutters (like cookie cutters only deeper) for making round biscuits.

For eating, I think scones are of a similar texture, but the method is quite different, with the fats coming from the cream for the scones, and from cutting in the shortening.
I don't know if the type of shortening affects the texture of the finished product.

As an aside, I wondered as I read this thread if UNCIVILIZED is in effect, looking for a girl who can bake a cherry pie and it is just his cover story that he needs scone recipes for this putative delivery..... Devious old witch I am!

Cheers,

Ann
Old 27-06-2015, 22:10   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
SeaworthyLass, et al,

With regards to your post #7,

Here's one of my Murrikan Bisquits recipes: It is out of an old Betty Crocker cookbook.
2 c. plain flour [self raising flour was not commonly used where I lived]
3 teaaspoons baking powder ("double acting", means it has baking soda plus tartaric acid)
1 ts. salt
1/4 c. shortening, or lard
3/4 c. full cream milk

If you want them to be Southern Biscuits, you add 2 Tablespoons shortening and decrease the milk to 2/3 c.

Drop biscuits (dropped from a spoon onto the bakiing sheet) have 1 cup of milk.

The method is to use a pair of knives, or a pastry blender and cut the shortening into the combined dry ingredients till the size of small peas, then add milk till the dough is soft and easy to roll out. knead lightly. Roll or pat out to 1/2" thick. At this point I used to cut them into a diamond shape, but there are traditionally round biscuit cutters (like cookie cutters only deeper) for making round biscuits.

For eating, I think scones are of a similar texture, but the method is quite different, with the fats coming from the cream for the scones, and from cutting in the shortening.
I don't know if the type of shortening affects the texture of the finished product.
Ann
Thanks Ann.
Mystery solved for me - Murrikan Bisquits are just scones (the CWA recipe was the first time I have heard of cream being used, rubbing in butter is the norm).

I have a few tips picked up from my mum who in turn learned to make these from a country Victorian farmer's wife:
- Rub the butter into the flour as you would do for pastry (lift mix up to incorporate air while rubbing)
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice to the milk to sour it (helps to lighten the scones)
- Mix in fluid with a knife (stops over mixing)
- Don't knead (creates a tougher scone), just pat the mix together
- Have the dough slightly on the sticky side for the same reason
- Bake them close together in hot oven and they will rise lovely and tall

I found the stickier the dough, the lighter the scone, and eventually found it easier and quicker dropping them, then this was less messy if I used muffin tins, then I found adding an egg lightened then even further. Now my scones are scuffins .

SWL

Old 27-06-2015, 23:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Thanks Ann.
Mystery solved for me - Murrikan Bisquits are just scones (the CWA recipe was the first time I have heard of cream being used, rubbing in butter is the norm).

I have a few tips picked up from my mum who in turn learned to make these from a country Victorian farmer's wife:
- Rub the butter into the flour as you would do for pastry (lift mix up to incorporate air while rubbing)
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice to the milk to sour it (helps to lighten the scones) Yes, it is the acid; cream of tartar is tartaric acid. Most powdered leavening is only baking soda.
- Mix in fluid with a knife (stops over mixing)
- Don't knead (creates a tougher scone), just pat the mix together
- Have the dough slightly on the sticky side for the same reason
- Bake them close together in hot oven and they will rise lovely and tall

I found the stickier the dough, the lighter the scone, and eventually found it easier and quicker dropping them, then this was less messy if I used muffin tins, then I found adding an egg lightened then even further. Now my scones are scuffins . That's great. Do you happen to know what the chemistry is with the egg? Why does it make them lighter?

SWL
Oddly, my Mom taught me to not use butter for bisquits, because they bake at such a high temperature the butter will make them taste scorched. Now I'm wondering if this is only an old wive's tale?

Ann

Tags
recipes