Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2017, 02:00   #136

Re: Rum

All you Rum drinking sailors you better hoist your sails and head this way (Philippines) great Rum both dark and light with all sorts of world medals showing how good it is COST for their top range 26 oz bottle USD $1 - $2
Hard not to get excited about that

Cheers
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:22   #137

Boat: Red Witch 19

For a really good rum:
If I can afford it Flor De Cana 25
If I can't Ron Zacapa 21

For a good rum:
Matusalem 15

Cheap but not nasty:
Caruba
Mt Gay

For guests/paint stripper:
Bundaburg
es02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 13:13   #138

Mt Gay is the cruisers rum. Havana club if you can get it.
motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 08:37   #139

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by es02 View Post
For a really good rum:
If I can afford it Flor De Cana 25
If I can't Ron Zacapa 21

For a good rum:
Matusalem 15

Cheap but not nasty:
Caruba
Mt Gay

For guests/paint stripper:
Bundaburg
Had 2 shots of Ron Zacapa last night. Solo on the boat. NEAT please

The answer is RUM. .... now what was the question???

:-)
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 17:24   #140

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Had 2 shots of Ron Zacapa last night. Solo on the boat. NEAT please

The answer is RUM. .... now what was the question???

:-)
Just noticed today that Botran has out a new line of rums (new to me anyway). Like Centenario, these are sistema solera blended rums, but lower age designations. Yum, new rums to try!

http://www.botranrums.com/index.php/...s-us/rums-us-2
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 18:16   #141

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Why is there never any rum? That is the question.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 03:40   #142

Plenty where I am.
Old 23-09-2017, 13:06   #143
SFS

I'm more of a bourbon or scotch guy, but am currently in Panama so it's rum for now. A bottle of the Zacapa 23 yo solera was only US$40, and I am really enjoying it. If you are a whiskey sipper, this is a rum to try.

I found the base level Ron Abuelo to be acceptable in a cocktail, so the next bottle I buy will be their 7 or 12:year offering.

Once, at a supermarket in Honduras, I was given a free sample of Flor de Cana. They were very proud of it. I'm sure it was the base offering, rather than a more aged version, but it was one of the most vile things I have ever tasted. I would rather drink turpentine.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 14:14   #144

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The major bourbon and Scotch companies are merging with major rum companies and pushing the interchangeable nature of those spirits through their distributors. We went to a mixology class and made the same drinks with both rum and bourbon and for mixed drinks it often very very close.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 15:17   #145
SFS

That's good planning for those businesses. I am a former bartender, and am familiar with those switchouts. However, from a personal standpoint, I don't want my bourbon, or scotch, or rum mixed with anything, and that includes ice.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 16:55   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
I'm more of a bourbon or scotch guy, but am currently in Panama so it's rum for now. A bottle of the Zacapa 23 yo solera was only US$40, and I am really enjoying it. If you are a whiskey sipper, this is a rum to try.

I found the base level Ron Abuelo to be acceptable in a cocktail, so the next bottle I buy will be their 7 or 12:year offering.

Once, at a supermarket in Honduras, I was given a free sample of Flor de Cana. They were very proud of it. I'm sure it was the base offering, rather than a more aged version, but it was one of the most vile things I have ever tasted. I would rather drink turpentine.
Yes, both Botran and Flor de Caña products are available in Panamá for about what they cost in their home countries.

Flor de Caña makes some nice rums. The older stuff is better. Still a bit more harsh than Zacapa, but quite good.

Weve been based in Panamá for a few years now (Guatemala prior to that). We got spoiled by Botrans fine line of rums while in Guate. Weve tried to develop a taste for Abuelo, but have not been successful. We stick with Botran or Flor de Caña now...at the same price as back in Guate...why not.

I do want to try some of the older Abuelos, but not willing to spring for a whole bottle just to try...need to order a few shots in a bar sometime.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:25   #147
CLOD

Boat: none

over 22,000 reads on a thread just titled "Rum", must say something about what people really want in a thread

One of the questions I now realize since I started this thread is that you need to understand what your rum is for. Is it for sitting around sipping, or is it for the alcohol. If it is just the alcohol that really opens the door for the gallon plastic bottle that says "Vodka".
Old 04-10-2017, 08:11   #148

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
Puerto Rico's Don Q Gold

Try a Caipirinha made with it is very good, a Capirinha made with rum is called caipirissima.
Salud
Steve W
I believe a Caipirinha is made with Cachaca which is not a rum but similar.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:55   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, both Botran and Flor de Caña products are available in Panamá for about what they cost in their home countries.

Flor de Caña makes some nice rums. The older stuff is better. Still a bit more harsh than Zacapa, but quite good.

Weve been based in Panamá for a few years now (Guatemala prior to that). We got spoiled by Botrans fine line of rums while in Guate. Weve tried to develop a taste for Abuelo, but have not been successful. We stick with Botran or Flor de Caña now...at the same price as back in Guate...why not.

I do want to try some of the older Abuelos, but not willing to spring for a whole bottle just to try...need to order a few shots in a bar sometime.
Speaking of Panamanian rums. I tried some Panama Red recently. Very alcoholic, like 108 proof, but aside from a bit of alcohol harshness a good rum...would be better to my tastes mixed to cut the harshness, but like it better than Abuelo.

Its uncommon in Panama because its made for the export market.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:56   #150

Boat: Nor'sea 27, BCC 28
So many great Rum's, so little time!

10 Cane is a favorite of mine, very smooth! Did not see it previously mentioned.

Ron Zacapa Cantenario 23 is great!

I had a bottle of Pampero Aniveriso from Venezuela that was wonderful! Alas with the political situation there and the collapse of the economy my favorite liquor store (Total Wine and More) has not been able to get any.

So I am making my list and checking it twice for all the great rums mentioned! I have some work to do to catch up and try some new ones.

Goslings Black Seal 151proof is still one of my favorites, sipping on ice is heaven!

I had a chance to tour Appletons in Jamaica, and Bacardi in Puerto Rico - both heaven on earth!
Zugbug99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum