Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2007, 21:05   #1

Rubbish....

Hi all, not sure if this is the right category or not, but I was curious what people do with all of their rubbish if they are on long passages?? Do people have a garbage compactor, remove the majority of the packaging prior to leaving and place them in tupperware type containers?? And how about just plain rubbish with cans, bottles, food scraps, etc..

I was just curious since I've never been out long enough to even run into that situation.. Thanks for everyone's time.. Cheers.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 00:18   #2

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Just get some small trash bags and some large lawn bags and store outside or hang on the lifelines.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 03:51   #3

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Offshore, food scraps go overboard. We use a Soda Club machine to make soda, so we don't have to deal with soda cans or bottles. If we drank beer, we would crush the cans underfoot to minimize the trash. We always remove packaging, esp. cardboard, before we leave to avoid bug problems. Everything else goes into a good garbage bag(s), and usually gets stored in the dinghy (which is up on davits) until we reach an appropriate disposal site.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 05:44   #4

Thanks for everyone's input!! I was always curious how that was managed. I was never away long enough to have to contend with such matters. I would love to hear more and how other people deal with it. Cheers
Old 31-08-2007, 05:50   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I minimize packing material on board. Lock-n-Lock containers are wonderful for storing all kinds of things.

If you had room for packing material when it is full, you have room for it empty. Some care and thought will allow you to separate "clean" waste that can be stowed easily and "messy" stuff that has to be bagged and stored on deck as the bags fill.

For daysails and short hops, "clean" waste (empty food bags mostly) are folded and stowed in the back of a food locker -- they are useful in helping keep things from rattling. "Messy" waste (food scraps, flattened food cans) goes in a trash bag in the galley; full bags are tied down on the aft deck. I don't have a good plan for recycling yet -- I crush as much as possible and keep in a separate bag. The bag is usually in the shower, but gets moved around to keep it out of the way.

More than 12 nm offshore, everything except plastics and motor oil goes over the side (tops and bottoms off food cans, extra holes punched in drink cans).

I like the soda club idea.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:11   #6

They make a "can crusher" for food tins and drink cans, smashes 'em down to a disk. Plastic bottles can be cut into strips or heated in water, capped, then plunged into cold water to collapse them. Paper labels, cardboard boxes are removed and contents and Sharpied on can or bag.
“There's no thrill in easy sailing when the skies are clear and blue, there's no joy in merely doing things which any one can do. But there is some satisfaction that is mighty sweet to take, when you reach a destination that you never thought you'd make”

Unknown
cjbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 20:38   #7

Our boat has lockers well astern that are purpose designed for garbage storage. We will just compact our rubbish as much as we can and keep it in garbags until we can dispose of it ashore.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 20:44   #8

Thanks again for everyone's input!! Now I know.. I was always curious about it.. Does anyone have trash compactors or even garbage disposals in their galley sinks, or is that just a waste of money, space and power?? Cheers!!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:55   #9

Boat: warwick 44
it always surprises me how much rubbish you end up with after only a week or so
boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:35   #10

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Does anyone have trash compactors or even garbage disposals in their galley sinks, or is that just a waste of money, space and power??
I have seen trash compactors on boats 55 feet long and bigger. I'm not sure where I would put one on my 40 without giving up something I want more. <grin>

I have thought about putting a macerator in one of my sink drains as a garbage disposal (watch the Marpol and local regulations for legality inshore), but I think I wouldn't be able to fit my pasta pot under the sink anymore if I did.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:40   #11

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Read the section on garbage in Van Sandt's (spelling?) A Gentleman's Guide to Passages South. Our method is pretty well described there.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:09   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
USCG garbage plan

An FYI...........

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/nmc/imo/p...1/317ananx.pdf

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/nmc/wmprv.pdf

Pollution Regulations
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote