Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 16:16   #16

Boat: 34 Catalina Mk II - Aussie Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
If you guys don't mind spending money, I've got a couple of MSR Dromedary bags that I've used for about ten years. There are two that I keep in (or near) the ditch bag. They're designed for mountaineering and are pretty durable but I can't speak to sun resistance long term.

The 10 liter is about $40.

MSR Deluxe Dromedary Bag : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors

Hey what do think about the taste from these? I love the idea of them and bought one years ago and gave it away, because the taste of the water after being in it was horrible! Are the newer ones better?
missaussierules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:00   #17

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: reliance water jugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trox View Post
How does this company stay in business? One of the main products they sell is totally useless.....a water jug that leaks!!!
Yes, Reliance folding jugs crack in the corners where they fold and then leak, but they are not totally useless.

They don't leak much (and not at all if you rotate the leak to the top).
They are cheap (both meanings, I guess) $5 for 5 gal.
They fold nicely for storage.
They work well for taking ashore in the dinghy and bring back water to put in the boat's tanks. Six fit nicely in my dinghy.
They are no good for longer term water storage on deck anyway, because on deck in the sun algae grows in transparent containers.

All that said this year my second favorite marine store (WalMart) had replaced the Reliance folding jugs with Coleman folding jugs. I now have three Reliance and three Coleman. After one year I think the Coleman is the better product. None of them leak so far.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water