Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-09-2011, 14:07   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Reverse Osmosis 5 Stage House System - Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punx View Post
This boat will never see seawater, so I don't need desalination. We use bottled water for drinking anyways, so 50 gpd would be for washing dishes and showering only. Buying a RO for salt water is a huge waste of money for me, as is anything over 100gpd. All I need to do is make 50-100 gallons per day of drinkable water from the great lakes region. I have a full time job, and I sleep 6-7 hours a day. This means I will be on the boat, away for less than 10 hours a day. This would mean i could use 5 gallons of water per hour. I don't think I use this much as it is, and I'm plugged into the system.

I'm not sure I understand your math above, but if you buy the linked 50gpd unit you're already on the low side of your needs. Also you're really tied to the dock with a unit like this since it is 120V. Even with an onboard generator, out on the lake, the generator run times to make the water you require would be ridiculous. In a more realistic senario I'd be figuring about a 3-4 hour run time every other day to make your needed water amount for daily use. Then size your water making capabilities to that. So if you use 10gpd for showers and dish washing each day you need to make an average of 20gal. per run time (every other day) divided by 3 or 4 hours run time with a unit capable of producing 6.6gph or 5gph. Which would translate into a unit that produces at least 160gpd. The units you've linked to are really for home drinking water that already counts on standard house pressure and constant 120V, along with a boost pump supplied. They're not really practical for anything other than a dock bound boat. I'd look a little further into this with the thought of a system that is larger. Personally if this will just be for showers and washing I'd suggest forgetting the RO element and make your own system with a few filter housings and a 12V UV light, probably for around the same cost if not less and will, run off your boats pressure system, give you your required gph needs, and can be used either at dock or anchored out in the lake.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 15:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Reverse Osmosis Five-Stage House System - Questions

These are for brackish water, not for salt water.

b.

Old 08-09-2011, 15:31   #18

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Too easy for someone next door to pump some oil or fuel spill out with the bilge water which would probably trash your RO system.
If the intake for the RO was say 18" under the surface, how would fuel/oil get into it?
Old 08-09-2011, 16:19   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I also think it is overkill to use a low pressure R.O. unit in a fresh water lake. Seagull makes some good filters for biologicals and when combined with a particle filter and activated charcoal filter you may have a system to meet your needs.
- - The pump - Aquatec CDP-6800 Booster Pump - listed in the "5 Stage" description is shown by the manufacturer to be a 12VDC pump. So I don't know what in the system would be 120VAC except maybe some solenoid valves.
- - But I also agree that the 2 gph rate of the machine is going to require about 3 hours of running for each person's shower, not to mention other washing tasks. I suspect the units are for isolated lake cabins where "city" water is not available but there is normal electric service available so the unit could run continuously for 24 hours or so periodically.
- - In any case, it might make better tasting water than a pure filtration system, you would have to "test" one to see if it is good enough to warrant the costs in generator power, etc.

Old 08-09-2011, 16:36   #20

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

You are not on the boat for 10 hours, sleep for 6...means you're on the boat awake for 8 hours and you think you need 50 gallons a day just for washing and showers... man what do you do with it ???you must do a hell of a lot of washing and showering to need that much water !
I have a 35 litre per hour RO on my boat that I run for about 1.5 hrs a day and that produces enough water for two of us to drink, cook, shower every day, do laundry and never run out
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 16:53   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I also think it is overkill to use a low pressure R.O. unit in a fresh water lake. Seagull makes some good filters for biologicals and when combined with a particle filter and activated charcoal filter you may have a system to meet your needs.
- - The pump - Aquatec CDP-6800 Booster Pump - listed in the "5 Stage" description is shown by the manufacturer to be a 12VDC pump. So I don't know what in the system would be 120VAC except maybe some solenoid valves.
- - But I also agree that the 2 gph rate of the machine is going to require about 3 hours of running for each person's shower, not to mention other washing tasks. I suspect the units are for isolated lake cabins where "city" water is not available but there is normal electric service available so the unit could run continuously for 24 hours or so periodically.
- - In any case, it might make better tasting water than a pure filtration system, you would have to "test" one to see if it is good enough to warrant the costs in generator power, etc.

You're right the boost pump is 12V. My mistake. I was looking at the UV light which is 120V and I assumed the boost would be as well. This boost pump at 12V would see alot of use trying to keep up with Punxs' needs at only 2gph. But it's 24 watts is only 2amp hours which is not bad. I'm also assuming the 24Watt rating is for it's lowest pressure setting. I'd like to see the numbers if it needed to be set higher to achieve the psi needed to run the membrane properly. It could perhaps be an amp killer. I still think for showers and washing this is overkill and certainly a sea gull would be a better investment if Punx did not build his own simple filtering system that would meet his needs.
Old 08-09-2011, 17:21   #22

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Seriously, to many variables introduced to the op's question.

I highly doubt you need RO filtration and more than likely can get by with a couple ten inch filters (there are all kinds to remove what you want out and almost as important LEAVE IN what you need left in) Untreated RO water is not very good for bathing, and can leech minerals as well.
Old 08-09-2011, 19:09   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Actually it's the many variables that should be considered. As the saying goes "The Devil is in the details"
Old 08-09-2011, 19:17   #24

I highly doubt you need RO filtration and more than likely can get by with a couple ten inch filters (there are all kinds to remove what you want out and almost as important LEAVE IN what you need left in) Untreated RO water is not very good for bathing, and can leech minerals as w
ell.

I agree ... a lot of fuss about very little ... I'd still like to know WHY you need so MUCH water . did you work it out or is it a guess ??
Old 09-09-2011, 07:18   #25

Boat: Trojan F-36 Tri-Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
You are not on the boat for 10 hours, sleep for 6...means you're on the boat awake for 8 hours and you think you need 50 gallons a day just for washing and showers... man what do you do with it ???you must do a hell of a lot of washing and showering to need that much water !
I have a 35 litre per hour RO on my boat that I run for about 1.5 hrs a day and that produces enough water for two of us to drink, cook, shower every day, do laundry and never run out

Do you have a link to this unit?
Punx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The units you've linked to are really for home drinking water that already counts on standard house pressure and constant 120V, along with a boost pump supplied. They're not really practical for anything other than a dock bound boat
That's exactly what we are. It's not going to be used out on the lake. Its for use in the winter when the marina shuts our water off.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:24   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post

I highly doubt you need RO filtration and more than likely can get by with a couple ten inch filters (there are all kinds to remove what you want out and almost as important LEAVE IN what you need left in) Untreated RO water is not very good for bathing, and can leech minerals as w
ell.

I agree ... a lot of fuss about very little ... I'd still like to know WHY you need so MUCH water . did you work it out or is it a guess ??

I don't need that much water, it's just the smallest unit I could find. All I need is a filtration unit to convert lake water into enough potable water for 2 people to live on the boat. We're plugged into the dock so power consumption is not a big issue.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:34   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
That's exactly what we are. It's not going to be used out on the lake. Its for use in the winter when the marina shuts our water off.
For that purpose the 5-Stage system would probably work well except watch out for the ambient water temperature requirements of the system. Also depending upon the "lake ice" forming around your boat, the intake needs to be quite a bit below the ice.
- - Probably a multiple filter system put together from Home Depot with a Seagull biological filter and a small "home-type fountain" boost pump could cost about the same as the 5-Stage system. It would be worth it to go to Home Depot and add up the costs plus Google the SeaGull filter to get its cost.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:40   #29

I was planning on pumping water from the lake through a through-hull that is not being used (we have a de-icer). This water will be pre-filtered and stored inside the boat until the temperature is high enough to be pumped through the RO system. Once the water reaches the correct temperature, the RO system will pump it into our freshwater holding tank.
Old 09-09-2011, 16:38   #30

Quote:
Do you have a link to this unit?
SCHENKER ITALIA DISSALATORI WATERMAKER

but bear in mind this is an RO to produce fresh water from salt...I thiunk its overkill for what you need...just basic filtering should do the trick in your "on the lake" situation....

My comments were more about WHY you need SO MUCH WATER.....

Tags
osmosis, reverse osmosis

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: