Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 14:54   #1

Boat: Havent Bought It Yet
Reverse Osmosis Equipment - Sea Water to Fresh Water

Just wondering if anyone out there has any reverse osmosis equipment on board to convert sea water to fresh water, and how much it costs and how much space does it take up.
markmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 15:43   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Reverse Osmosis Equipment - Sea Water to Fresh Water

Here is mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC110081.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	31540   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC110077.JPG
Views:	806
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	31541  

Old 11-09-2011, 17:51   #3

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb

You can check out Richs' web site, it's a wealth of info and reasonable prices. He's a cruiser and makes these systems for us.
Him and Lori are in Mexico now cruising with their kids. Loving every minute and he really likes the fact he can wash clothes onboard and not worry about fresh tank levels... LOL

www.CruiseROwater.com
Old 27-09-2011, 04:08   #4

Boat: departure 35

I wouldn't do it without a distilling plant of some sort. I don't have much faith at all in the quality of RO water. Tried that here on my farm and it sucked! I was responsible for making millions and millions of gallons of water on Navy ships over my years, using distilling plants and testing that water. Also don't do it anywhere near other boats or within 12 miles of land at all if you can help it. That was our rule and it was for good reason. I'm trying to come up with an electric or solar distilling plant that will fit on my boat but haven't had the time to really get on it yet. It's really the only way to go.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 04:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I’d venture to guess that virtually all cruisers, making fresh water from salt, are using R/O desalinators.
Our member Tellie < Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Tellie >
is a Spectra watermaker Dealer and all-round R/O expert.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 05:37   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Not only virtually all cruisers, but also major island countries and resorts all use R.O. equipment on a mega scale. It is a proven and reliable source of potable water. I have had my Village Marine Tech unit for a decade.
- - However, for the OP's questions - it is not cheap. The purchase of the brand name companies equipment costs from several thousands of dollars to $10K depending upon the amount of potable water it outputs and the array of automatic sensors and equipment on the units.
- - You can buy complete systems in one box/frame which is about the size of a large microwave oven or you can buy the systems in separate components that you mount yourself in available corners and spaces in the boat.
- - They can run on 12VDC or AC. However, you must also use the machines at least every few days or follow various cleaning and storage procedures for longer periods of non-use.
- - On the other hand you can do the search and acquire the necessary components yourself and assemble your own machine for various sources. Also a good source of the R.O. machines are "used/surplus" boat parts stores/warehouses where people bring their old, no longer needed units to sell. Also try eBay.
- - But do some serious research first if you want to go the make-it-yourself route or the buy a used/surplus unit. Otherwise, you can purchase units already packaged and put together and all you need to do is bolt it into the boat and hook up the plumbing and power.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 05:43   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

This is simply misinformed information below. Yes the Navy does it one way but is simply impractical on a small cruising boat. RO water is the tried and tested method on cruising boats. Oh yeah and I am also in the Navy and have worked with distillation plants and I have made RO water at home for years. There is quite a difference from home units and seawater RO units as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrranch View Post
I wouldn't do it without a distilling plant of some sort. I don't have much faith at all in the quality of RO water. Tried that here on my farm and it sucked! I was responsible for making millions and millions of gallons of water on Navy ships over my years, using distilling plants and testing that water. Also don't do it anywhere near other boats or within 12 miles of land at all if you can help it. That was our rule and it was for good reason. I'm trying to come up with an electric or solar distilling plant that will fit on my boat but haven't had the time to really get on it yet. It's really the only way to go.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 16:14   #8

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We bought a watermaker from VillageMarine dot com for about $5000. I installed it myself. It's not cheap to operate but it keeps the Admiral happy so it's worth it. It makes about 14 gal per hour which provides unlimited showers. We have a washer aboard, so no more laundromats for the Admiral. When she's happy, I'm happy. Life is good.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:53   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
. . . There is quite a difference from home units and seawater RO units as well.
This is very true. There is a world of difference between the home units you see advertised and real salt water R.O. systems. It is easy to see the difference as the home units are "low pressure" units with pumps putting out around 100 psi or so. You can see these units advertised like this: Reverse Osmosis Product Page - Premium RO Drinking Water Filters Systems, Portable Purifiers, Filtration Parts | APEC Water

- - Salt/sea water R.O. machines operate at pressures around 800 psi and are more complicated - therefore much more expensive. You can see them at places like this: Pleassure Marine Water Makers
and Spectra Watermachines - Clark Pump is World's Most Efficient Marine Watermaker

- - For cruisers, salt/sea water R.O. systems have become almost a standard item on board. The convenience of having the ability to use copious amounts of fresh water is one (there are others) of the "secrets" of keeping your female first mate (or Admiral) happy.
- - You can purchase the salt/sea water R.O. machines either as a total package - bolt it down and hook up the sea water feed and discharge and "product" water lines, plug it into a power system and voila you have fresh water. These are the most expensive units.
- - Or, you can purchase the units in parts as a "modular" system and install the components in convenient places in the boat, hook them together, etc. and voila, you have fresh water for less money than the totally one package units.
- - Or, you can buy a used system or or purchase your own component parts and assemble your own machine. This is probably the most economical way but requires a lot of research and "hands on" work putting everything together.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 08:46   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think it's a breach of etiquette to sell here without becoming a commercial member, I expect a Mod will contact you shortly?
Anyway read the thread above, unlikely your home type units will desalinate sea water?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 09:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmark View Post
Just wondering if anyone out there has any reverse osmosis equipment on board to convert sea water to fresh water, and how much it costs and how much space does it take up.
They are very common. They come in everything from 12V, 120Volt or engine driven. I love the water from them... not much of a water drinker normally.... but RO water I drink a lot!
It need s to be a system capable of being used in salt water, not just for longevity but to make the water good also. Most home units are not for that purpose.

although expensive, it's one of the handiest things I had on a couple of boats. The last one I got a 120v unit and converted it to engine drive by removing the big electric motor and mounting the pup on the engine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 19:26   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I like to spend time anchored in remote places and sometimes need to make fresh water out of brackish or even fresh water. I try to run a generator for less than an hour a day. I felt the yacht watermakers were overpriced and replacement parts and filters even more overpriced and took too much power. I originally built a "low" pressure system that I expanded to about 300gpd. I have since built a high pressure system so I can top off my tanks in the short times I run a generator. I use more filters, but have excellent tasting water. I have had my water professionally tested several times. (Both low and high pressure) Always scoring much better than big city water. A small low pressure system can be built for a few hundred dollars and would fit in a mid size suitcase or spread out to fit limited areas. My low pressure tested & tasted almost the same as the high and still better than city. Even Columbia River water. Although my eyes glow at in the dark.
I also drank thousands of gallons of Navy water when ships were steam powered. And I think distilled is best, but RO water was originally too clean for good taste. Later "taste" after filters were added after the RO membrane. I get compliments on my boat water.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 12:34   #13

Boat: Tartan T4400

rrranch you must have got out of the navy many years ago. The navy is back fitting RO's on 688 and 726 class submarines and the 774 class are built with them. Granted they have all the electricty needed. Now if they could figure out how to get the "tank" taste out of the water.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:51   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
We bought a watermaker from VillageMarine dot com for about $5000. I installed it myself. It's not cheap to operate but it keeps the Admiral happy so it's worth it. It makes about 14 gal per hour which provides unlimited showers. We have a washer aboard, so no more laundromats for the Admiral. When she's happy, I'm happy. Life is good.
That is an incredible price for that unit. Which model is it? Was that the new price, or did you buy used?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:52   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

OOPS, I see I am responding to a 3yr old thread.

a64pilot - who are you responding to? It seems your post kicked this thread back to life.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, osmosis, reverse osmosis, water