Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2017, 14:34   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Remove stove and replace with fridge?

Our 2001 Jeanneau SO 37 has a Eno propane 2-burner stove and oven and a 12 volt refrigerator (counter top opens to fridge). The fridge had to be recharged last year when we bought the boat; it isn't working to speak of now. The oven has never been used (you can't clean them to 'new' condition). One of the burners looks like it might have been used a couple of times.

We have a tabletop microwave which we use to reheat prepared meals; not like my wife's excellent cooking at home, but a warm meal. We put ice into the fridge which works, but the fridge isn't that convenient since we have to clear the counter top to access it. Although we have only used the microwave at the dock on shore power, it is a smaller one so it shouldn't suck too much juice from the batteries when at anchor.

So here is what I am thinking. Rip out the stove and install a good sized front opening 12 volt fridge. Remove the cooling and plumbing parts of the current fridge and use the space as dry storage. Use the microwave for all cooking; maybe getting a microwave pressure cooker for more choices.

While at it, I would remove the propane tanks stored in the cockpit locker. Removing explosive tanks from a boat seems like a good idea....

Any thoughts on this plan?

What about resale of the boat? Are boats without a 'nautical' stove/oven at a disadvantage on the market?
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 14:40   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Remove stove and replace with fridge?

Ugggg.

The stove makes the boat a home. Without it, and with a dorm fridge in its place....well, bleh.

That's my humble opinion
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 16:20   #3

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Rip out the stove and install...
I am with you on this one. Space is at a premium on any boat and there are two areas that are typically underused today. The oven space and the chart table. I have been toying with the idea to remove them both and use the space more efficiently. While I agree that a stove is nice and homely, the reality is that it is heavy and gets used a couple of times a year.

Yet, the fridge needs good insulation and your current fridge already has insulation. I would rather fix the old fridge just to leverage the already existing insulation. Also note that one extended passages the fridge is not that helpful. After a week or so, there is very little organic matter than can be stored in the fridge.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 04:22   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
So here is what I am thinking. Rip out the stove and install a good sized front opening 12 volt fridge. Remove the cooling and plumbing parts of the current fridge and use the space as dry storage. Use the microwave for all cooking; maybe getting a microwave pressure cooker for more choices.

FWIW, we have an electric cooktop inset into the counter above a fridge.... so there's a way to have both. (See also the recent thread here on induction cooktops.)

Our microwave is a convection combo, and that works well too, as does the electric slow cooker (or as would an electric pressure cooker)...

But we actually cook and eat decently on board -- not just warmed up stuff -- so doing without the stovetop would be a burden for us...

-Chris
Old 14-06-2017, 04:50   #5

Boat: searching...

Quote:
What about resale of the boat? Are boats without a 'nautical' stove/oven at a disadvantage on the market?
I personally would not buy a boat if there is no stove or it would be a significant hassle to retrofit it...
- Saying so, if the gas locker is still there & functional and I just need to buy pipes and hoses and a new stove it may impact the selling price not to much as I get new parts where I would like them anyway...
- If I need to build in addition a new fridge on another location its much more $$ compare to other boats.....

A compromise would be repair/upgrade the existing fridge, create dry storage (or put the Microwave there??) where the oven is and leave the gas pipes where they are (they should not bother you much) If you ever sell - you can advertise it with the comment that the boat is ready to retrofit a new oven at minimal effort if desired...

cheers
M.
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 05:14   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Getting propane out of the boat is a very noble result. Great reduction of hassle and real danger.

As to whether you should go without any stove at all -- only you can answer that question. It depends on how you use your boat and how you cook. If you are really sure you don't need a stove, then why not? I can't imagine it myself, as we use the stove every day we are on board, and cooking is one of the joys of cruising. But I am not you, and your boat is not my boat.

Only, be very careful to save everything you take out, because you will never sell that boat, without a big discount, without a normal galley, including a normal stove of some kind.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 05:31   #7

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

I agree about not being interested in any boat that doesn't have a stove. Seems like it would lower the resale potential. I also agree about getting the propane tanks out of the boat. We cook a lot of really nice meals using out convection microwave and our electric cooktop. Your idea about the refrigerator is a worthy one. You could add in a two-burner, electric, countertop "hot plate" sort of thing and be able to cook all the meals you want.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 08:48   #8

We are nearing the time to start looking at boats and one criteria that the mate has....a nice stove with an oven. She loves to cook and cooks everyday, for her boat with no stove would be a no sale.
With that said, for fun, we browse the boats- for -sale on a regular basis, ( like every day) and in a great many of the pictures we see the the shelves above the galley stuffed with liquor instead of food. The stove looks unused. For us, that is a good thing because it means the stove will be in good shape, not all gummed up. Then there is a good chance that the actual overall usage of the boat is low, being a weekend party barge as opposed to the wear and tear of a live aboard.
Meacenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 09:01   #9

Boat: 41 Morgan 1971

I have a 41 Morgan, I did exactly what you are saying. I have a NuWave cooktop and a propane grill hanging off the back rail. I now have a large refrigerator, I live on the boat all year long and have no regrets of doing this. I will admit I'm not much of a cook. And you can't put beer in an oven
dduresky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 09:01   #10

Boat: Tartan 37

You could add a stove-top 2 burner non-pressurized alcohol stove. Very safe and can do about anything on it. We love our Origo.

puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 09:22   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark's PO removed the original alcohol stove and replaced it with a dorm fridge. He never sailed the boat, just used it as a weekend getaway.

Couldn't open the door on starboard tack as everything would land on the cabin sole.

I removed the offending fridge and replaced it with a Eno Gasgone three burner with oven. Love it...

I installed a Dometic CF-110 cooler/freezer that hold 110 liters of whatever, runs on 12v and 100-240v. Very reliable.

If you aren't planning on sailing the boat, then a front opening fridge is OK, but if you plan to open the fridge while sailing you will have to be on the correct tack for that.

...and remember, front opening fridges let all the cold out when the door is opened. Top loaders will hold the cold air.

I store my two 11lb gas bottles in a proper gas/air tight box that is vented over the side. There are gas detectors under the oven and the propane heater and I test them every time I come aboard. Personally, I don't think propane is dangerous when properly handled and the system is maintained.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 12:02   #12

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
... we use the stove every day we are on board, and cooking is one of the joys of cruising.
Agreed. Without a stove you are just having a picnic. Cooking aboard is great fun. Ingredients take up far less space, and last longer than any prepared foods.

Is your boat a condo at a dock? You seem very reliant on electrical power.

I agree with getting rid of the propane. I'm a fan of the origo stove...self contained, safe, no plumbing.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 12:41   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Our 2001 Jeanneau SO 37 has a Eno propane 2-burner stove and oven and a 12 volt refrigerator (counter top opens to fridge). The fridge had to be recharged last year when we bought the boat; it isn't working to speak of now. The oven has never been used (you can't clean them to 'new' condition). One of the burners looks like it might have been used a couple of times.

We have a tabletop microwave which we use to reheat prepared meals; not like my wife's excellent cooking at home, but a warm meal. We put ice into the fridge which works, but the fridge isn't that convenient since we have to clear the counter top to access it. Although we have only used the microwave at the dock on shore power, it is a smaller one so it shouldn't suck too much juice from the batteries when at anchor.

While at it, I would remove the propane tanks stored in the cockpit locker. Removing explosive tanks from a boat seems like a good idea....

Any thoughts on this plan?

I think the resale would go down the tubes unless you find someone wanting a condo with the grass growing on the bottom not the lawn
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 12:52   #14

sailorchic34 provides great input on a dorm fridge, 120V with a small inverter.

She's mentioned this many times, I'll go find one and provide a link.

Here you go:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ge-180007.html
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 15:12   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Thanks for (most of) the replies!

I am returning to sailing and my wife, Dorothy, has a powerboating background. We are getting the hang of sailing and we are enjoying it. But our end goal will be a week long sail, not months. I cheer on those with the time and ability to go sailing for months and I appreciate learning what I can from them.

As far as cooking, Dorothy is a great cook. She has always enjoyed cooking, then when she developed celiac disease she was forced to do more. When we were house hunting in 2010 the kitchen size and layout was a major factor. So when Dorothy cooks, she wants multiple pans and pots, a pantry full of spices, pastas, condiments, vinegars (about a dozen of those), oils, etc. We can't replicate that in a boat of reasonable size.

So using a microwave, toaster, and a cooktop (seems to be quite handy from the comments) we are good for preparing and heating of food aboard. As I first wrote, the oven on the boat has never been used and we don't see us using it. Keeping it for resale value is something to consider, though we want to use the boat our way, not the way a broker wants it to appear.

I agree with the comment that about a week is it for keeping fresh foods in a fridge. However, that matches our timeline.

What about recommendations for top loading refrigerators?
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stove