Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 12:29   #1

Regular Whole Milk Questions

hello everyone my husband and i are talking about learning to sail then buying a sailboat and cruising around the world.....but i have big hit for me and that is reg whole milk.....i love milk ....all ways have .....i i tried dry milk and brought other types of milk that does not need to be refrigerator ....and i cant stand the taste ...then i tried chocolate syrup in difference type of milk dry and other type of mike again did not taste right....so my question if we are sailing around the world in areas of globe will i be able to found good tasting milk i found here is us.......i love reg whole milk....and i want to travel and i do like soda and juice as well plus tea.....thank you in advance to my questions.....tammy
Tammy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Regular Whole Milk Questions

Hmmm... This would be hard for many of us to understand. I would think that it would be difficult for those of us here to compare a passion for sailing with one for milk. Ah well, the answer is easy. No! You will not find easy access to whole fresh milk while long distance cruising!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

1st, whole milk is not good for you. Way Way too much butterfat to clog up your arteries. They first discovered the link between animal fats,heart disease, and premature death from an isolated dairy farming community in Scandinavia more than half a century ago.

If you can find a dried milk with some butter fat in it, it may have a very acceptable taste. Used a product called 'Milkman' for years before I got lazy and went back to the store bought stuff. 'Milkman' was off the market for awhile but apparently is back. Milkman Low Fat Instant Dry Powdered Milk - 12 Quarts (41.28 Oz): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

You will either not find fresh milk, whole or otherwise, or it will be very expensive when you are outside a dairy producing country. In Hawaii, milk costs $5 a gallon and we are pretty much civilization compared the more isolated island communities. Can figure the cost will go up from that bench mark.

I'm a no fat milk drinker so my tastes are not yours. I can taste the difference between 1% and non fat milk and don't like, though will drink it, if I have no other. I drink milk big time going through a gallon in a few days. When I'm on a passage, give it up. Cuts down on my cookie consumption, though. For cereal and things like that, use diluted condensed milk. If you want a real yummy stick to the ribs drink, try making hot chocolate with straight condensed milk. Probably a million calories and cholesterol buster but it is so so ono ( Hawaiian for the over the top good).
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:07   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy44 View Post
hello everyone my husband and i are talking about learning to sail then buying a sailboat and cruising around the world.....but i have big hit for me and that is reg whole milk.....i love milk ....all ways have .....i i tried dry milk and brought other types of milk that does not need to be refrigerator ....and i cant stand the taste ...then i tried chocolate syrup in difference type of milk dry and other type of mike again did not taste right....so my question if we are sailing around the world in areas of globe will i be able to found good tasting milk i found here is us.......i love reg whole milk....and i want to travel and i do like soda and juice as well plus tea.....thank you in advance to my questions.....tammy
Welcome aboard T44; interesting question which sadly for you has been correctly answered by CaptForce.

I understand your taste issue and I won't go into the health issue except to say I don't believe it is anywhere as bad as some say and that many of us drink far worse beverages .

However (and this is important IMO), the cruising lifestyle requires one to make many many changes. Most of these are positive (in the long run) but some scarifies still need to be made.

Don't let weaning yourself off a clean taste stop you - yet!

Good luck with the journey.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:30   #5

Boat: Seaton Durbeck 48

In most of the Caribbean milk is readily available. Just not in gallon plastic jugs in a refrigerated case. It comes in liter and half liter cartons and doesn't require refrigeration until after its opened. Easy to store and long lasting. Various butter fat content, various brands, and there are some that rival fresh milk in taste. Trust me, you'll quickly become accustomed to it if you just have to have milk.
ontno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:32   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mexico has regular whole milk. lots of it and in bottles in fridges.
i have also seen it in caribbean, usvi and bvi...when i was in uk and danmark, they were also guilty of having it on refrigerator shelves.

i adapt my needs to the areas i sail, and i buy local.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:40   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I suppose the answer is Depends where you are. Obviously a crossing could only include fresh milk for a few days. Some areas of the world there is plenty of good, fresh milk; other areas, not at all. I suppose you could limit your travels according to availability. It sounds like the Caribbean has it & most of the Med too.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:42   #8

Boat: Seaton Durbeck 48

Yes, you can find it in the store fridge, but if you believe in expiration dates your selection may be limited. Have gotten accustomed to boxed milk and boxed wine! haven't tried boxed beer, but its probably in the works.
ontno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:43   #9

thank you very much for all your help......yes i do love my whole and i understand it not really good for me....but i really enjoy milk.....i grew up that way....my grandparents had a dariy farm so i really enjoy real fresh milk we visited them in maine.......thank goodness i enjoy fruit jurce and tea.....i know milk can be pricey but my husband knows that do not get between me and milk.....lol.....price does not matter since i enjoy milk....plus soda as well......
Tammy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

learn to drink rum,much more healthy,and it doesn't need refrigerating.......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 19:38   #11

Depending on freezer space and trade offs frozen milk lasts indefinitely. Cream does not freeze well need to blend it. Fat free freezes best. Once defrost need to shake. Can also buy UHT milk in carton which comes in carton and kept in pantry. Lasts 6-9 months.
Mabfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 19:52   #12

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontno1 View Post
In most of the Caribbean milk is readily available. Just not in gallon plastic jugs in a refrigerated case. It comes in liter and half liter cartons and doesn't require refrigeration until after its opened. Easy to store and long lasting. Various butter fat content, various brands, and there are some that rival fresh milk in taste. Trust me, you'll quickly become accustomed to it if you just have to have milk.
If you don't feel like flying South to provision your boat you can buy cardboard cartons of unrefrigerated milk in the local Walmart. Other places sell it as well. I tend to go to the Dollar Store because because the cartons are cheaper there, but they don't always have it in stock. I also suggest you try almond milk, I like the Almond Delight brand but there are others. They also sell something called coconut milk as a milk substitute but I am not a big fan of that. Soy milk is not my favorite, too much estrogen, but some like it as well.

Way back when I was a sophomore my organic chem prof use to say there are two kinds of alcohol. If you drink one it will kill you, if you drink the other one it will really kill you quickly.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 20:14   #13

Boat: Traditional 30

It sounds like you have two choices. Experience the trip of a lifetime and miss out on flavours you know. Or stay at home and drink milk.

I know the feeling of wanting to have flavours with you. I spent 6 months traveling asia over the last year/s. I missed some tastes of home (especially a certain brand of chocolate). But for the sake of a life adventure, I can live without it.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 20:41   #14

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

12 years living in China taught me a bit about adapting or forgetting my up to that point desired tastes. Picked up quite a few new ones though and the experience just cannot be measured.
Im back in Aus now and I also really enjoy good full cream milk a lot still drink full cream but now out of a box and by choice even when at home as there are some really great alternatives out there now.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 21:20   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
12 years living in China taught me a bit about adapting or forgetting my up to that point desired tastes.
My guess is that it would be hard to find milk in China and the reason for this is such an interesting story. A genetic mutation occurred in some humans many thousands of years ago that allowed people to continue to drink milk beyond infancy, the only animal to do so. Different cultures have different levels of this mutation with fewer Asians having the gene than Europeans. It is also highly possible you will become lactose intolerant later on in life and then all will be solved for your cruising plans
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote