Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 14:49   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Regular Whole Milk Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
The high levels of omega-3 fatty acids found in milk derived from grass fed cattle have an anti-inflammatory effect which keep your endothelium healthy. Milk can be very healthy for your heart.
Good luck finding your grass fed cattle these days. You must be dreaming of your youth.

I spent a wonderful few weeks in the summer of maybe 1969 or 70 at a dairy farm near Culpepper, Virginia (Brandy Station actually) where there actually were grass fed cattle but I believe those days have passed.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 17:45   #47
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Good luck finding your grass fed cattle these days. You must be dreaming of your youth.

I spent a wonderful few weeks in the summer of maybe 1969 or 70 at a dairy farm near Culpepper, Virginia (Brandy Station actually) where there actually were grass fed cattle but I believe those days have passed.

When in Ireland I found the fresh milk abundant and the national herd is fed on grass it seems. I think it's the finest milk in the world. ( and uht and other nonsense is regarded as the work of the devil )

However sailing I virtually never use milk having got used to not having it in coffee or tea and not being a cereal fan, I have now little use for it on board.

Fresh milk is hard to come by outside certain dairy orientated countries. Even in the med it's hard to find.

I agree with Andrew , bring back glass bottles with the cream on top. ( of course the birds always got to it first ! )

Mind you I have access currently to fresh unpasteurised Jersey milk. Jeepers the taste bring me back 40 years.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2014, 18:52   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
When in Ireland I found the fresh milk abundant and the national herd is fed on grass it seems. I think it's the finest milk in the world. ....

Dave
possibly finest equal (he wrote, from NZ)

We could grow grass for Africa

Grass is what we do best.

... then Rugby (sigh), with sailing a distant third ....
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 19:18   #49

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Being coffee folks, our only milk products are half and half for our coffee! Hard to find but when we do find it we stock up !! It can be frozen if ya have a freezer! Got to have our half and half!!
Old 12-03-2014, 19:38   #50

I didn't read the whole thread but some points I'd make:

- I love milk, and I'm probably one of the fittest people I run across sailing.
- My kids drink milk, in particular my one year old.

We got a 32oz Rubber Maid shaker bottle and popped a "blender ball" in it (if you've ever mixed protein shakes these are popular).

Add water to it, scoop in the powered mix, SHAKE THE HELL OUT OF IT, pop it in the fridge to cool down. Shake it again. Reshake it some more.

The right amount, shaken really well, served cold really isn't that bad at all. It's not just like the fresh stuff but it doesn't taste like paint.

Blender ball + shake-able container + lots of shaking + serving cold.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 20:01   #51

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I think the question that folks should be asking is not whether cow's milk is healthy for human consumption, but whether what is being passed off as cow's milk is unhealthy. As mentioned above, there are populations (mostly northern European descendants) that have evolved to well tolerate and flourish consuming cow's (and other animal's) milk. Pasteurizing, homogenizing, hormone-izing, and feeding cows a diet other than what "they" have evolved to eat yields a milk-like product very different than what any population has evolved with to consume. Whole, raw, grass-fed (very important), organic cow's milk is very nourishing if your particular system tolerates it well. I think finding that while cruising is pretty unlikely. We will likely give up milk for the most part when we cruise expect for perhaps a splash of some heavy cream for coffee.
You might think about it differently if you read the publications thomm225 posted links to. The dairy industry (and the US Dept. of Agriculture which promotes it) are promulgating obsolete beliefs about diet in general that have been proven wrong.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 20:17   #52

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy44 View Post
hello everyone my husband and i are talking about learning to sail then buying a sailboat and cruising around the world.....but i have big hit for me and that is reg whole milk.....i love milk ....all ways have .....i i tried dry milk and brought other types of milk that does not need to be refrigerator ....and i cant stand the taste ...then i tried chocolate syrup in difference type of milk dry and other type of mike again did not taste right....so my question if we are sailing around the world in areas of globe will i be able to found good tasting milk i found here is us.......i love reg whole milk....and i want to travel and i do like soda and juice as well plus tea.....thank you in advance to my questions.....tammy
Hi Tammy - And welcome to CF! Being a milk expert, you will probably not be satisfied with the milk you find in the rest of the world. (Note that this is probably true of a number of other things you've become used to in the US.)

HOWEVER, the US dairy lobby has made it illegal to sell powdered whole milk in the US, so the best you can get in the US is Milkman (0.5%). But in the rest of the world, it's usually pretty easy to buy Instant, Full Cream, powdered milk. It's made by several companies (Nestles, Dutch Maid, etc) & distributed worldwide. The powder keeps a LONG time, & it dissolves fast enough that I just sprinkle it dry on my cereal, add cold water, stir for maybe 15 seconds, & it's good enough to eat (pre-mixing will improve the quality, but I'm a heathen). You can also vary the amount of powder to achieve the taste you like. There is also a lot of liquid UHT milk sold outside the US which (IMHO) tastes closer to US milk & keeps a long time if the box is unopened.

But having said that, if you really NEED to have your milk taste EXACTLY like you're used to, it's probably best to stay in US waters. There are MANY foreign products that taste slightly different from their US equivalents (Heintz 57 ketchup is rarely served outside the US). If you aren't happy exploring & embracing those differences, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed.

For us, exploring those (many) differences is one of the reasons we're out cruising. You might want to ask yourself why you want to go cruising, because everyone has a different answer to that question. It's not a rhetorical question.
Old 12-03-2014, 22:51   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 41' OI / Oday 22’ Keel Boat

Looks like you are going to have to tether a goat to your ship - there problem solved - and when the milk runs out - you can slaughter it and eat.
Courtesy of the Royal Navy.
Anjin San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 22:36   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
There are many things that animals will eat and drink from humans (beer or plastics, anyone?) that they would not normally consume. It doesn't mean that's their natural predilection. Humans, as well, eat what they're conditioned to by parents, media, and cultural mores......
Have you ever tried to get a cat to eat something which it is not inclined to eat?

(For that matter, have you ever tried to get a cat to do something it is not inclined to do?)
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 23:10   #55

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

I have been using a specific nuclear type full cream milk for more than a year now.
Yesterday on the way to the boat pulled into the Aldi supermarket to buy the usual milk only to find none available so purchased a litre of full cream refrigerated instead .
Got onto the boat and decided to have a drink of milk and found I preferred the flavour of nuclear variety.
Amazing how you adapt and your tastes change as a result.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 00:34   #56

Boat: Various

So much is learned in food tastes. We acquire tastes from childhood, but we can also change our likes and dislikes. Sometimes it happens because of our bodies reacting. For instance, I'm horribly allergic to oranges so even the smell of an orange or orange juice can make me sick. Therefore, I associate that. I can't tolerate milk, lactose intolerant.

But a few years ago my wife and I decided just to eliminate a couple of items from our diet. Now note we never ate many fried foods, other than chicken, so didn't address that. First target was soda's. All soda, sugar or sugar free. At first going to the convenience store, automatically would walk in that direction. Now having had no soda for 5 years, we have no desire for any. We also happen not to drink tea or coffee. What does it leave? Water, and occasional alcohol typically champagne. That's it. We don't now miss the other. A second big item was french fries. Never got fast food before without french fries. Often had steak fries also. Five years later we haven't had any and actually find the smell of them disgusting. All a mind game. We also eat very little bread. At a nice restaurant, something unique, yes. But at home or boat, only wheat and seldom it. Will eat sandwich ingredients without the bread, hamburgers and hot dogs without the bread sometimes.

Do we eat healthy in all ways? Depends on who you believe as to healthy. We do eat red meats often, but also eat chicken and seafood. We do eat baked potatoes so haven't sworn completely off potatoes. We do eat desserts. But the point is that we can condition ourselves toward avoidance when we want to. It's actually a form of self hypnosis.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 04:06   #57

Boat: Bristol 27

You may want to think twice on milk as your chosen drink these days:

Harvard study: Pasteurized milk from industrial dairies linked to cancer

First paragraph:

The truth has once again shaken the foundation of the 'American Tower of Babel' that is mainstream science, with a new study out of Harvard University showing that pasteurized milk product from factory farms is linked to causing hormone-dependent cancers. It turns out that the concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFO) model of raising cows on factory farms churns out milk with dangerously high levels of estrone sulfate, an estrogen compound linked to testicular, prostate, and breast cancers

http://www.naturalnews.com/035081_pa...cer_dairy.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 05:15   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
If you aren't happy exploring & embracing those differences, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed.
All the tangential nonsense aside, I think this is really the bottom line. If you set out to cruise the world, you have to be prepared to experience the world. If you want things--ANY "things"!--to be exactly like home, you need to just stay home.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 09:21   #59
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You may want to think twice on milk as your chosen drink these days:

Harvard study: Pasteurized milk from industrial dairies linked to cancer
I can't find the study.

Naturalnews.com is not an unbiased mob of scientists:

Quote:
About Us

Natural News is a science-based natural health advocacy organization led by activist-turned-scientist Mike Adams, the Health Ranger.

The key mission of Natural News is to empower consumers with factual information about the synthetic chemicals, heavy metals, hormone disruptors and other chemicals found in foods, medicines, personal care products, children's toys and other items.

Natural News covers holistic health, nutritional therapies, consciousness and spirituality, permaculture , organics, animal rights, environmental health, food and superfoods , and performance nutrition.

The site strongly criticizes drugs-and-surgery medicine, vaccines, corporate corruption, animal testing, the use of humans for medical experiments, the chemical contamination of foods, heavy metals in consumer products, factory farming and government corruption.

Natural News also warns its readers about science gone bad and frequently cites examples of science resulting in catastrophies that it calls "crimes" against humanity. Examples of such subjects cited by Natural News include:

Agent Orange
Thalidomide
Nuclear weapons

Etc

About Natural News
Hmmmmmm. And you want to belive anything they say?

The best line in there was they dont support animal testing. Nor human testing. So they want some drug stuffed into you without being tested at all? Lol

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 09:48   #60

Boat: Catalina 30

Carbohydrates are made up of sugar molecules
all stuck together. You could look it up.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote