Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 12:03   #31

Boat: Freedom 32
Re: Regular Whole Milk Questions

I love it too. A big glass of ice cold fresh milk in one hand and a wedge of cake in the other and I'm in heaven.
I've always used the long life boxed milk when doing deliveries, but it has a strange taste and really spoils the taste of tea. So I usually drink the tea without it until I can get fresh milk.
I've just come to terms with the fact that one has to do without some things to experience others. When you finally do get your paws on it, you'll appreciate it all the more.
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:09   #32

Boat: Hunter 340

Milk is $5/gallon in Ontario, so I stick to drinkin' beer.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:33   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
....One thing hard to eliminate on the other hand is the high fructose corn sweeteners we find in almost everything we consume. Big business isn't really concerned with our health, just their bottom lines.

We don't have high fructose corn syrup even in fizzy drinks here, but they're still a huge driver of obesity in NZ, where the Polynesian population have the misfortune not to be able to metabolise added sugar as an immediate energy source, but instead lay it ALL down as fat, much of it around their vital organs where it does the most harm. If you remove them from the data, we don't have an obesity problem here; if you put them back in, we're second only to the US!

I had a request to expand on my previous post, so here goes:

When in the 1980s dietary fat was found to cause high LDL, and high LDL was found in turn to lead to cardiac disease, it seemed like an open-and-shut case.

Unfortunately, now that we understand the nature of LDL better, it turns out to be a catch-all for several subtypes.

So the true situation appears to be more like this (at least, for most animal fats, including dairy fats):

These dietary fats cause high levels of a SUBSET of LDL, and A DIFFERENT SUBSET of high LDL leads to cardiac disease.

(The first subset is often described as "small dense", and the latter as "large buoyant")

So, without malice aforethought, it seems that the MASSIVE campaigns against dietary fats in the 1980s took us in a very bad direction for health in general and obesity in particular.

For one thing, that is when kids here stopped drinking plain milk, because with the fat removed, it did not appeal. So ... we saw the introduction (at least, here in NZ) of flavoured (and, more importantly, sweetened) milk, to win the kids back. That only partially worked; many kids switched to fruit juice and/or fizzy drink, both with prodigious amounts of added sugar. And that was the beginning of the end for their prospects of appetite control, and consequently, a trouble-free life.

As it now turns out, but I've always suspected, added sugar is single-handedly capable of hijacking our appetite control mechanism.

I'm not sure to what extent it gets irreversibly damaged, so I'm talking about someone who (like me) has not had a long history of consuming excess added sugar:

In its absence, the control mechanism is phenomenally reliable and requires ZERO self control.

But avoiding added sugar means avoiding cookies, donuts, fruit juice, soda, most processed food (especially in the US where savoury foods like bread and peanut butter are almost inedibly sweet to someone from elsewhere) etc etc

I was mis-diagnosed as a celiac some years back, and despite my misgivings about the diagnosis (eventually proved well founded) I was scrupulous about avoiding gluten.

I used to love baked goods like slices, brownies, etc, but I love plain bread (European style) even more, so to celebrate being reacquainted with the latter, I've given up added sugar almost absolutely, as an experiment. Since about a year back. (NB: I never drank fizzy drink, and never bought sugar, and ate negligible processed food and no fast food, so I was never a big sugar consumer)

I've always been trim/wiry (after a puppy fat stage pre-puberty) but I've always had to fight my appetite every inch of the way, sometimes unsuccessfully, particularly being prone to inexplicable food cravings (particularly between meals), even when I KNEW I didn't actually need more food.

Also I had a pattern of 'therapeutic' eating: for a treat on meeting with a disappointment, etc etc...

Now that I'm off sugar altogether, I eat as much as I want, which turns out to be, frankly, buggerall! My food intake has dropped between 20 and 30% (it wasn't that high before) and I enjoy what I do eat more than ever. I've substituted quality for quantity, rather than reducing my spend.

I'm the healthiest and strongest I've been for years, and I virtually always have that great feeling I used to only get briefly after taking a dump.

I guess my digestion is not working away full time, processing food I didn't actually need, but which my brain told me I needed, because my sugar intake was buggering up the signals which would normally cry "Hold - Enough!"
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:41   #34

I forgot to add the kicker.

The prime cause of the dangerous subtype of LDL (small dense) turns out to be?

You'll never guess ... Think of the cruellest possible twist of fate ... SUGAR !

The very thing which got substituted for fat in order to try and claw back palatability, in the 1980s (not just the likes of flavoured milk, but lo-fat yoghurt, and even cookies, chocolate and the like)

The other cruel twist of fate:

It seems likely that it's the SWEETNESS of sugar which is the problem with appetite control mechanisms. Molecules which fool us into thinking they are sugar (artificial sweeteners) also fool the control mechanisms into thinking they are sugar ... so Diet sodas may have similar overall impact on body weight

(And that's not to mention the fairly well-attested dodgy health impacts artificial sweeteners have in their own right)

What exacerbates all this is the addictive properties of sweetness... but enough, already!
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:26   #35

again thanks everyone for responding to my questions .....ok yes i do love milk and that way i was brought up .....grandparents had a dairy farm.......everyone has there opinion about milk and other things to drink....i do not drink beer or any type of wines....i enjoy juice and soda.....and milk.....i respect everyone opinion.....again thanks....i guess i be drinking allot of water as well......tammy44
Tammy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:54   #36

Boat: Bristol 27

Are adults still drinking milk?

You may want to check the latest data available:

Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health: Joseph Keon, John Robbins: 9780865716766: Amazon.com: Books

Don't Drink Your Milk: Frank a. Oski: 9781479601653: Amazon.com: Books

Milk - The Deadly Poison: Robert Cohen, Brian Vigorita: 9780965919609: Amazon.com: Books
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:55   #37

yes i still enjoy milk.....like rest of my family ....
Old 12-03-2014, 08:02   #38

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy44 View Post
yes i still enjoy milk.....like rest of my family ....
It's being linked to cancer and sickness in general these days:

There are a number of concerns about daily products. Many health practitioners believe (and I agree) that about 90% of the American population is intolerant to milk in ways that are not so obvious. Others are most concerned about the negative effects of homogenization and the probable role that plays in heart disease. This article is focused primarily on the concern of the use of rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone), a genetically engineered hormone that is injected into dairy cows to increase their production of milk. The evidence of the harm of this (e.g. cancer) is growing at an alarming rate.

http://curezone.org/foods/milk.asp
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:16   #39

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Well if you really want fresh whole milk you can always get a big enough boat to bring a cow along. They must have travelled by sea at some point because they were not native to many continents.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:20   #40

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It's being linked to cancer and sickness in general these days:

There are a number of concerns about daily products. Many health practitioners believe (and I agree) that about 90% of the American population is intolerant to milk in ways that are not so obvious. Others are most concerned about the negative effects of homogenization and the probable role that plays in heart disease. This article is focused primarily on the concern of the use of rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone), a genetically engineered hormone that is injected into dairy cows to increase their production of milk. The evidence of the harm of this (e.g. cancer) is growing at an alarming rate.

Milk - The Hidden Dangers, Hidden Toxins, Hormones
"The Surgeon General announced today that saliva causes stomach cancer. However, only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time."
-George Carlin

I think the question that folks should be asking is not whether cow's milk is healthy for human consumption, but whether what is being passed off as cow's milk is unhealthy. As mentioned above, there are populations (mostly northern European descendants) that have evolved to well tolerate and flourish consuming cow's (and other animal's) milk. Pasteurizing, homogenizing, hormone-izing, and feeding cows a diet other than what "they" have evolved to eat yields a milk-like product very different than what any population has evolved with to consume. Whole, raw, grass-fed (very important), organic cow's milk is very nourishing if your particular system tolerates it well. I think finding that while cruising is pretty unlikely. We will likely give up milk for the most part when we cruise expect for perhaps a splash of some heavy cream for coffee.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:38   #41

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38

Milk CAN be frozen reasonably well and will last for 6 months, maybe more. Some do say that it tastes different when thawed but I've tried and personally cannot tell the difference, you might be able to but it might be more a tolerable difference than powdered or condensed versions. That and generally if you are open minded about it your body and tastes can generally adapt and change over a fairly short period of time to where you would likely baerly notice there is a difference anymore.

Of course it takes up a lot of space, is heavy, and would require you to run a freezer 24x7. It's all about the trade offs, if you go into it thinking you need to run a freezer 24x7 because you want milk that is something you CAN do with sufficient planning.
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:05   #42

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

My sweetheart also loves milk.
There are only two things she really MUST have: a hot shower and cold milk.
We must have these two things on the boat, or I will not get the two things I really must have: cold beer and hot sex.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:58   #43

so i am not only one......that good to know.....i told my husband milk and hot shower is a must for me....follow by washer and dryer on the boat....we are talking about 60-70 foot boat....so i know there will be room for my washer and dryer......i do not mind freezing milk if i have to.....my son love me like and my husband really cant drink milk......i buy a gallon a milk and we go through in like 3 or 4 days......everyone difference when it come to what they like and what they love to eat and drink........i love most fruits and some veggies i will eat only raw and some i eat only cook.......i hope i found soda around the world as well.....i do enjoy tea sometimes as well.....

tammy
Old 12-03-2014, 11:31   #44

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> allowed people to continue to drink milk beyond infancy, the only animal to do so

Tell that to a cat
There are many things that animals will eat and drink from humans (beer or plastics, anyone?) that they would not normally consume. It doesn't mean that's their natural predilection. Humans, as well, eat what they're conditioned to by parents, media, and cultural mores. To each his/her own, but the OP might find it easier to start weaning herself off a gallon of milk every few days, if she wants to cruise full-time in far off places.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:51   #45

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
1st, whole milk is not good for you. Way Way too much butterfat to clog up your arteries. They first discovered the link between animal fats,heart disease, and premature death from an isolated dairy farming community in Scandinavia more than half a century ago.
Probably a million calories and cholesterol buster but it is so so ono ( Hawaiian for the over the top good).
Actually, the latest science indicates that a diet with a high glycemic load is the primary cause of metabolic syndrome which is the driver of heart disease. It's not the fat..it's the insulin response to the grains and sugars that cause the damage. How do you fatten a cow or make a goose's liver fatty?

The high levels of omega-3 fatty acids found in milk derived from grass fed cattle have an anti-inflammatory effect which keep your endothelium healthy. Milk can be very healthy for your heart.

Dietary cholesterol has a negligible effect on blood levels of cholesterol and zero effect on heart disease. Eat as much as you want.

Though I guess if you're 65 years old a lifetime of damage will have already been done..so eat, drink milk, and be merry!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote