Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2018, 06:47   #16

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Refurbish or replace Stove

We had purchased a new Force 10 4-burner stove in 2000 as part of a major galley remodel. After much use, we had to replace it last year as our exhaustive research could not find replacement parts. We were disappointed that it didn’t last longer but we find that it’s such a basic aspect of our comfort, it justified the expense.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 06:59   #17

Boat: C&C 40
Re: Refurbish or replace Stove

Jim, before you hook any fuel to it, take a good close picture of the burner itself. It can tell what type of fuel it was set up for. Alcohol burner are different than propane. Under the burner itself may be a little cup type piece that liquid alochol will drip into. When lit, it heats a a small plate attached to the metal fuel line in the middle of circular burner,causing the liquid alcohol under pressure to vaporize. A completely different system than propane. The safety feature of alcohol is the fumes rise and vent out of the boat, propane sinks and finds it's way to the bildge. It's not as hot as burning as propane but works good when you learn how to use it. We have used the original GallyMaid on our 1974 Irwin for 20 years now with no problem. I took the burners apart a couple years ago wire brushed a little and put back together. Works fine. If not careful, yes, there could be flameups. Easily extinguished with water, propane in the bildge takes out the whole boat..
P.S. I believe the deisel burners look similar to alcohol but stinks...
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 07:28   #18

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Long ago when I purchased a 1968 Irwin 31 and it had a similar stove top oven combo. At that time, I wasn't planning to use the oven and only used the boat during warmer months. Even back then parts were difficult to find, so I transformed the area into more galley storage and counter top.

In it's place, I used a 2 burner propane camp stove (and outside grill) using 1 lb propane bottle easily stored outside. This was totally sufficient for my usage at that time.

Fast forward to now, and we use a stove w/oven combo often but still carry a portable 2 burner and stern grill (all propane). We find we do use the 2 burner when we have beach gatherings, steam crabs, etc and cooking outside is better than heating up the boat. We keep the 1 lb propane tanks outside in proper containers and also use these nice brass caps to keep them from leaking.

Bottom line the stove top or combo is replacement should be decided upon how you intend to use it. No need to purchase an expensive unit if you don't cook much. If you do decide to do a combo unit possibly look at RV brands if you are on a budget. They don't gimbal, but if you are not cooking underway, they are fine.

I'll throw in a vote for propane and is generally safe w/proper precautions and system checks.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 09:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The origo stoves were designed to fit in the hole/space left from your OEM stove.
18 1/2" or 470mm wide without the gimbal.
Old 20-05-2018, 10:18   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

OK so I have cooked with both, and on my current little boat I prefer alcohol because it is simpler and I am not cooking big meals and I don't make meals demanding lots of fuel or long cooking times. The issue for me is not safety so much as simplicity, taking my cooking demands and size of boat into consideration. Propane done right is safe. Propane is faster than alcohol certainly but I am NOT trying to boil big pots of water. No matter which fuel you choose, I agree with those who say it is better to get a new range and start fresh with a new system. And this is coming from someone who likes old stuff! (Just not old stoves.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 13:09   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We had purchased a new Force 10 4-burner stove in 2000 as part of a major galley remodel. After much use, we had to replace it last year as our exhaustive research could not find replacement parts. We were disappointed that it didn’t last longer but we find that it’s such a basic aspect of our comfort, it justified the expense.

Fair winds and calm seas.
My Force 10 three burner is 30 years old, refurbished once. Used extensively. I don't think you need Force 10 parts. A good propane stove repair guy should be able to source parts that fit.
Old 20-05-2018, 13:20   #22

Just a slightly OT observation,
interesting how highly some of us regard our stoves
Old 21-05-2018, 21:01   #23

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
First off do not try to pressure test the stove from anything other than a pressure regulated propane tank. The propane works at a very low pressure and any pressure source over a couple of PSI will damage it.

If you post a picture of the burner it will be obvious to most of us if it is pressurized alcohol or propane.

If it was propane looking around the boat you should find a propane tank locker and a regulator. Ask around the boatyard for an old salt and he/she can probably answer your questions in five minutes.

If it is CNG you will probably want to scrap it. CNG tank exchanges are scarcer than hens teeth.

If it is propane it could easily be just fine as it is BUT regulations on stove safety have changed since that stove was new. The newer generations (at least the last 15 years) require an automatic shutoff if the fire goes out. Even if it works great you may want to replace it for this reason alone.
I did exactly that when I bought the boat. I could not find any fittings, any locker or any hoses. I included a photo of the connection on the back of the stove.

It was definitely some sort of pressure fitting, but smaller than modern propane hose connections than I'm used to.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 05:46   #24

the photo of the fitting is the same as I have on our
alcohol. A picture of the burners whold help most to tell what it is...
Old 01-06-2018, 11:12   #25

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted and Relinda View Post
Jim, before you hook any fuel to it, take a good close picture of the burner itself. It can tell what type of fuel it was set up for. Alcohol burner are different than propane. Under the burner itself may be a little cup type piece that liquid alochol will drip into. When lit, it heats a a small plate attached to the metal fuel line in the middle of circular burner,causing the liquid alcohol under pressure to vaporize. A completely different system than propane. The safety feature of alcohol is the fumes rise and vent out of the boat, propane sinks and finds it's way to the bildge. It's not as hot as burning as propane but works good when you learn how to use it. We have used the original GallyMaid on our 1974 Irwin for 20 years now with no problem. I took the burners apart a couple years ago wire brushed a little and put back together. Works fine. If not careful, yes, there could be flameups. Easily extinguished with water, propane in the bildge takes out the whole boat..
P.S. I believe the deisel burners look similar to alcohol but stinks...

Here are the photos of the burners:

and

Does not look like a modern propane burner.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 15:26   #26

Looks very similar to our pressure alcohol burners. You need a small pressure tank to hold about 15 lbs pressure and half a gallon of alcohol. Google lighting a pressure alcohol stove and you get a lot of info. Ted.
Old 01-06-2018, 15:44   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Pressurized alcohol? If so, yank it out pronto imo. They always seemed to me the best way to light a boat on fire.
(No offense, Ted, if you have made it work for 20 years, you’re a better man than I! My experience was the little ol Kenyons and I still think my eyebrows never grew back correctly.)
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 18:22   #28

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
Here are the photos of the burners:

and

Does not look like a modern propane burner.
Would be handy to see rest of the burner body, probably has a primer cup. That looks like a vaporization tube over the top so alcohol or diesel/kerosene would be my first guess (LPG/CNG burners dont have that).

Ive used all the above, pressurized alcohol always worked fine for me (though not as hot as other fuels), diesel/kero works fine too but even when working well will emit some soot (esp when priming) and have some odor.

Another consideration is where will you be sailing? Which fuels are most readily available there?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Refurb, stove