Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 18:07   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Refilling propane bottles in States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
Our propane refilled said that's a dangerous practice if they are filled all the way, since they don't have a pressure relief valve.

Regards,
Brad
Brad they do have a pressure relief valve. It's that little round thing next to the threads. It looks like a schradder valve. You can vent the tank as it's filling by using needle nose pliers to pull up on the stem. Venting gas as the liquid propane goes in allows you to get the full amount into the tank.

As I understand it, you want about 80% of the volume of the tank filled with liquid. The best way to judge that is to weigh the tank. The correct weight will be printed on the tank.

You actually couldn't over pressurize the little tank if you are filling it from a bigger tank without using a pump. It will be the same pressure as the tank it's being filled from. That pressure will depend on the temperature.
Old 29-06-2017, 10:03   #32

Boat: Beneteau 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Brad they do have a pressure relief valve. It's that little round thing next to the threads. It looks like a schradder valve. You can vent the tank as it's filling by using needle nose pliers to pull up on the stem. Venting gas as the liquid propane goes in allows you to get the full amount into the tank.

As I understand it, you want about 80% of the volume of the tank filled with liquid. The best way to judge that is to weigh the tank. The correct weight will be printed on the tank.

You actually couldn't over pressurize the little tank if you are filling it from a bigger tank without using a pump. It will be the same pressure as the tank it's being filled from. That pressure will depend on the temperature.
Thank you. The FUD I heard was about filling it way over that 80% park. But if it has a relief valve, then there ought to be no concern.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 14:23   #33

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j Squared View Post
I'm in the same dilemma, currently on the hard in St Augustine and running out of Camp Gaz

would you please let me know where you found the converters for filling the EU tanks?
Here is where yhou can get the set in Denmark. cost about $70 USD. But you can write to them and ask if there is a place in the states that sells the kit

The kit is a briefcase sized cardboard box with about 20 different adapators in it - fits any gas filler any place in the world.

well worth $70 if you're cruising

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 14:26   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
This lets you put a US gas regulator on a european Camping Gaz bottle - but it does not allow refilling of the bottle in the US

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 10-08-2017, 12:26   #35

Boat: 47' Cutter

Here is where yhou can get the set in Denmark. cost about $70 USD. But you can write to them and ask if there is a place in the states that sells the kit

The kit is a briefcase sized cardboard box with about 20 different adapators in it - fits any gas filler any place in the world.

Hi CarstenB,

I'm from the EU side of the pond and rejigging the gas box as part of the refit.
Can you send a link for the Danish gas kit?

We have this adaptor kit below for different bottles, but it doesn't cover filling.

https://www.socal.co.uk/catalog/prod...r-adaptor-kit/

Thanks,

Moose

MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:34   #36

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelsole View Post
Hi,
I have been told that it is not permissable to re-fill propane bottles in New York state. Is this the case? Are there any other states on the east coast where I will have problems?
As so often happens on forums, you haven't provided enough information for anyone to provide a reliable answer.

Are you talking about conventional 20 lb tanks, often used on outdoor grills, little one lb tanks often used on camping stoves or something else altogether?

There's a difference and the answer is different for each.
Old 10-08-2017, 15:36   #37

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
This lets you put a US gas regulator on a european Camping Gaz bottle - but it does not allow refilling of the bottle in the US
Why would Trident Marine LPG Propane Gas "Camping Gaz" Adapter not allow the refilling of a camping gaz cylinder (I'm talking about parts fitting together; given that you could either (1) find a LPG dealer in the US who would fill the camping gaz cylinder with the adaptor attached or (2) that you would transfer the LPG yourself from a USA 20 lb tank into your camping gaz cylinder with a short hose with two male full bore POL fittings - one at each end)?

Every place I have ever had my LPG cylinders refilled (in the USA: TN, NC, SC, and FL) and in the Bahamas (in both George Town and Marsh Harbour) the filling was done by attaching the filling hose to the internal POL threads in my cylinder valves, not to the external Acme threads on the valves.

From Defender's description, "Trident Marine LPG Propane Gas "Camping Gaz" Adapter; Enables Use of European (Metric) Tank Valves with U.S. Propane Regulators, Fittings; U.S. Female POL Receptacle, AGA Ball Valve, Male M16 x 1.5 Fitting; Material: Solid Brass". That is it has a female POL fitting on one end and a male M16x1.5 on the other.

And yes, the adaptor is fantastically over priced. They have got you. I' bet you could assemble it from parts for much less.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 14:42   #38

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMarine View Post

Hi CarstenB,

I'm from the EU side of the pond and rejigging the gas box as part of the refit.
Can you send a link for the Danish gas kit?

We have this adaptor kit below for different bottles, but it doesn't cover filling.

Thanks,

Moose

write to these guys
Integrated Gas Technologies -

They are then importers. They have recently channged distributors, and I can't remember who the new one is

otherwise - write to Danish Ocean Cruisers association att.: Kim and ask him at:

ftlf@ftlf.dk

att.: Kim

He knows becaue I also told him and he has contact to the new distributor

carsten

Old 12-08-2017, 14:45   #39

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Why would Trident Marine LPG Propane Gas "Camping Gaz" Adapter not allow the refilling of a camping gaz cylinder (I'm talking about parts fitting together; given that you could either (1) find a LPG dealer in the US who would fill the camping gaz cylinder with the adaptor attached or (2) that you would transfer the LPG yourself from a USA 20 lb tank into your camping gaz cylinder with a short hose with two male full bore POL fittings - one at each end)?

Every place I have ever had my LPG cylinders refilled (in the USA: TN, NC, SC, and FL) and in the Bahamas (in both George Town and Marsh Harbour) the filling was done by attaching the filling hose to the internal POL threads in my cylinder valves, not to the external Acme threads on the valves.

From Defender's description, "Trident Marine LPG Propane Gas "Camping Gaz" Adapter; Enables Use of European (Metric) Tank Valves with U.S. Propane Regulators, Fittings; U.S. Female POL Receptacle, AGA Ball Valve, Male M16 x 1.5 Fitting; Material: Solid Brass". That is it has a female POL fitting on one end and a male M16x1.5 on the other.

And yes, the adaptor is fantastically over priced. They have got you. I' bet you could assemble it from parts for much less.
To be honest with you it has been a couple fo years since I looked at that - but back then I decided after having studied it for a while.

But why bother with this when you can get a complete kit of adaptors that will adapt any bottle to any filling noozle for only $70?

We use ours and it is without problems except that most of the filling stations want to buy our adaptors from us........

Old 15-08-2017, 15:28   #40

Boat: 47' Cutter

Thanks CarstenB,

Much appreciated. Will follow up on the link...

Fair winds,

Moose
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane