Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 14:05   #91

Boat: csy 37
Re: Quest for the one can meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
Wolf brand Chili and some crackers.
sorry cowboy, but i have to disagree with you on that one. wolf brand is easily the worst canned chili i've ever eaten. but what do i know. i'm a sailor, not a cowboy; chili is a cowboy meal.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 14:11   #92

Poop Deck Special !

1 can of HOT TAMALES . keep toilet paper on " close reach " .
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 14:42   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
I love corn beef hash - even if it does look just like dog food.
That's exactly what my family calls it. I love it, they...not so much... Actually, they flee the premises. Probably why we have a dinghy.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 14:56   #94

Giblets not included!

syd spray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 20:00   #95

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd spray View Post
Giblets not included!

Every now and then we used to be able to find canned whole cooked chooks. There were a number of things we did with them (involved with eating); but, they are not a mean-in-a-can. C'mon Stockholm Sailor, how ya doin'?

Ann
Old 07-11-2013, 21:18   #96

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Never, ever seen chocolate cake in an MRE, but I retired in 02. You sure you aren't thinking about K rations? K rations came in big cans and were mean't to be heated in water and fed several people, they had pretty decent desert in a can too.
Come to think of it, there was sometimes some kind of desert in MRE's, it was as I remember some kind of chocolate chip cookie sort of a bread / cookie kind of thing. Cake? not even close. In their infancy MRE's were almost entirely freeze dried, even the meat, then some genius discovered that dehydrated food and the water you had to carry to rehydrate the food weighed approximately the same as the food does prior to dehydration, so dehydration was almost completely dropped.
Know who makes these abominations? The "Right Away Food Corporation of Mcallister Tx." I have to make sure I never get close to McCallister Tx.
Whoa, ease up on the collective, chief.

RA(L)F Co is located in McAllen, TX, which is down in the Rio Grande Valley on the Mexican border (well, it's a few miles north of Hidalgo, which is).
I don't think there is a town named McCallister in TX, although there's a McAllister park and expressway (Hwy 281 North of downtown) in San Antonio.
Right Away is a division of the Wornick Co. now.
I lived much of my life in the Valley, sometimes worked a few blocks from Right Away sheds and plants in different towns, they produce many other foodstuffs too. Remember when the first development and contracts for today's milrats were being let; producing MRE's was a major BFD, multimillion $$ at the time, still are.
In some ways the Valley is a natural for this, lots of ag production, thousands of acres of fresh veggies and citrus (mmmm, try some 1015 onions right out of the ground, and Star/Ruby grapefruits, grew them myself), probably the cheapest labor in the US, etc.; and it has historically produced milrats and textile goods for Uncle Sam for a long time.
But then, you are getting the lowest bidder too.

Back on topic, rooting around in the cupboards, I just found some Chef Boyardee microwave meals like those Hormel ones discussed above (I used to travel a lot and would only be home for a short time between trips, food was mostly quick and dirty then).
I know they are at least 10, and maybe 15-20, years old. Should I eat them (assuming they appear OK when opened, of course)????

Believe it or not, Walmart used to stock an excellent WM store-label canned beef stew and chili's, probably the best I ever et (of the canned variety). Unfortunately, they seem to have downgraded the product recently, they're not near as good now, dang it.

BTW, while we're talking canned goods, many decades ago we sometimes vacationed in Ontario, the (Georgian Bay) Killarney area mostly (kinfolk).
But a few times we got up around Wawa (early '70's). I was out in the woods near there with my (first) kids when we found a very old shallow mine entrance (assumed gold, as it was/is found there in modest quantities, ~1896 forward per Wiki) and evidence of living quarters.
The area was littered with tin cans, and many had very old legible labels still intact, very interesting find (and if I had harvested some of them, they are probably worth a fortune on Ebay to collectors now, heh). We did pick up some rocks with gold flecks in them. Those people back then had to be tough as nails, that's rough country and colder'n all he!! in winter.
To this day I still sometimes get "gold fever" and think about going back there and prospecting some. It's a bloody addiction; really, I knew a guy who owned a minesite in AZ or somewhere and spent a lot of vacation time going out there to dig around.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:15   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
A can of Foie Gras De Canard, red white or even better some chilled Sauternes, and toasted bread.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:55   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
After three months in the desert living on British Army rat packs, MREs were a treat......for a day or so! I can't imagine eating anything worse that military rations when I have a choice.
Could never work out what to do with the processed cheese in a can, afterall the biscuits with hot water and dried milk made a sort of breakfast or desert dish which was edible. However, cheese possessed as it was known colloquially had no known use to man. Perhaps melted it could be used to antifoul propellors.

If there was only one can to choose it would have to be bake beans as emergency rations eaten hot or cold.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:06   #99
CLOD

Boat: none

Probably the widest choices for healthy 1 can meals can be found in the dog food isle of the store. I wonder how many sailors have gotten these in error in foreign stores and did just fine?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:22   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Could never work out what to do with the processed cheese in a can, afterall the biscuits with hot water and dried milk made a sort of breakfast or desert dish which was edible. However, cheese possessed as it was known colloquially had no known use to man. Perhaps melted it could be used to antifoul propellors.

If there was only one can to choose it would have to be bake beans as emergency rations eaten hot or cold.

Pete
That cheese makes good catfish bait- I wonder what else you could catch with it?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:29   #101

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Probably the widest choices for healthy 1 can meals can be found in the dog food isle of the store. I wonder how many sailors have gotten these in error in foreign stores and did just fine?

I read somewhere once that a guy got a bunch of cans of something and later in a different port, a guy looked at the can, asked the guy if he had a dog and said he didn't then thought how he was down to a few cans left on board.

Language barriers create interesting stories.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:53   #102

You guys remember ..Big Johns Beans and Fixens ?

Boy would that stuff rock a tank !
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 23:00   #103
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
Cheese posessed, OMG how disgusting was that! The bacon thing came a close second. Rat packs should all have come with a tub of curry powder as that was the only thing that made any of it edible!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:55   #104
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Ever eaten out at a Restaurant specializing in British cuisine? Me neither, is there even such a place?
Yes of course , many times. Many great such place all over the UK

Dave
Old 09-11-2013, 03:03   #105
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Y'all are gonna die eating thise horrible chemical cocktails. Your remains will then be on display in curiosa shops as the chemicals will keep doing their work.

The only can I can eat without vomiting is the French duck and beans casserol. After a couple of bites even that gets thrown overboard.

We find that freezing our own freshly prepared meals like stews, pastas, soups etc. for use while under sail is the best approach. This is what the microwave is for, and why we love our freezer(s).

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote