Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-11-2013, 14:22   #31

Re: Quest for the one can meal

Yes, Ann, and all others, it's becoming a game for me! Verging on antisocial obsessive thinking. For reasons that are obvious to anyone watching the film, I don't rely on one can meals while cruising, but i just can't let go of the idea. Some days I just can't bring myself to any other domestic action in the galley that open up a can and eat it. Preferably using only one hand. I want it to taste good, and I want good nutritional value. Tuna, sardines, mussles etc are all excellent, but that would have to be a quest for a two can meal - adding tinned vegetables. I have had many good ones like that, but then, that would be giving in...
I will post part two soon, the camera man was here today and we are nearly done editing.

Old 04-11-2013, 14:32   #32

Not sure if it counts when it has to be baked in an oven, but these were a mainstay of many a family holiday on the Norfolk Broads :

Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie Tinned Meat Pies Tinned Food

Followed by one of these for dessert :

Heinz Treacle Sponge Pudding

Preferably with canned custard.

Old 04-11-2013, 15:42   #33

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Seriously, canned kidneys? people eat those things.....
Old 04-11-2013, 15:55   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Steak and kidney pie is a British staple, and one of their greatest contributions to world cuisine.
Old 04-11-2013, 16:07   #35
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Quest for the one can meal

There's always the UK students staples...
Heinz Baked Beans or Spaghetti in Tomato Sauce...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 16:14   #36
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
I remember going to Spain as a kid in 68 , we drove , very unusual back then , mum didn't believe foreigners had any food, so the car was packed with fray bentos , steak and kidney pies. ( we were camping ) I remember she was horrified passing French meat ships seeing rabbits skinned and hanging outside. Me , I like a bit of rabbit.

Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 16:30   #37

Winner!

Notice the PBR in the lower right to balance the sodium blast.
Old 04-11-2013, 16:33   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Steak and kidney pie is a British staple, and one of their greatest contributions to world cuisine.
Hate to break it to you guys on the other side of the pond, but there is very few British items I would consider as contributions to the international cuisine. Spotted dick anyone? (yes that is a British dish!!)
Kidney whatever?? Liver and what? Cod liver oil??
There are reasons we ran away and set up our own country....
I would never eat part of the body that concentrates toxins. That includes liver and kidney dishes.
Just missing out I guess.
Old 04-11-2013, 17:18   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I would never eat part of the body that concentrates toxins. That includes liver and kidney dishes.
Just missing out I guess.

Right on brother, in layman's terms for us gear heads, it's the oil filter of the body. I'm sure it tastes wonderful when cooked proper but mentally I can't get past the image.
Old 04-11-2013, 17:38   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Hate to break it to you guys on the other side of the pond, but there is very few British items I would consider as contributions to the international cuisine.
Ever eaten out at a Restaurant specializing in British cuisine? Me neither, is there even such a place?
Old 04-11-2013, 18:11   #41

It's not that difficult to can your own meals in jars containing zero preservatives. I personally can't stand Campbell's soups. They all taste the same - extremely salty. Don't get me wrong, I'm from south Louisiana, I like salty, but those canned soups just suck. Growing up in New Orleans, red beans and rice is a monday staple. A local canned variety - Blue Runner is actually pretty good.

I suggest learning how to can foods. You can store your own veggies, meat dishes like your own soups, red gravy and ground beef to serve over pasta, etc. You can make this to suit your own diet restrictions too.

Keep some hot sauce on hand, better yet, make your own. It makes most anything better including Campbell's salty broth mixtures.
Old 04-11-2013, 18:21   #42

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Bush's makes the best canned baked, beans, and Kuhns makes a great variety of prepared black beans. Beans as a meal though.. well you might want to minimize on that.

The best quality meals I've found come in pouches, not in cans. The unpleasant flavors from canned foods come from a desire to lower cost of production, and from the metal of the can itself - the metallic flavor leaches throughout the food, although you may not notice it if you're eating it every day.

The easiest way to avoid that is to buy foods that are in lined cans, glass jars, or plastic pouches. You'll recognize the ones in lined cans because they are always more expensive than other canned foods.

One of my favorite no-can meals is tuna from a pouch, mayonnaise from a packet, and crackers from a box. Mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip) can be a pain to use from those tiny packets though - it would be nice if it came in a larger single-serving size. Actually, you can get very small jars of Miracle Whip. I never do though because they are the same price as the quart size jars!

I've had pouch foods of all kinds. There is a popular brand of Indian food that comes in pouches. There are pouch foods that look like frozen meals, except you don't freeze them. Military rations are a super-fun way to eat, come in handy "surprise" packages, and contain a variety of snacks and treats in addition to the main meal.

But then, I also love Chef Boyardee.... cold from the can is no problem for me!
Old 04-11-2013, 18:27   #43

Quote:
Hate to break it to you guys on the other side of the pond, but there is very few British items I would consider as contributions to the international cuisine. Spotted dick anyone? (yes that is a British dish!!)
Spent some time in the UK and while never having tasted "spotted dick" lol I did try a pudding named Groaty something or another that was quite good. Meat, leeks, onions, groats, beef stock, all packed into a pot and cooked for like 20hrs in the oven. If you could can that and reheat on boat I'd be happy.

As far as International cuisine contribution I would agree. The most popular restaurants at the time there seemed to be French or English style curry places
Old 04-11-2013, 18:49   #44

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

We are spoiled in Australia, Being a single bloke, I open a can of, Cup a Soup,
its a whole meal in a can,
Just heat and eat, One pot, one spoon, Very easy, and it tastes great,
Heaps of different flavours,
You dont like one brand, try another, Most are very good tasting,

Tinned vegetables, Try them first, make sure you like them, before you buy a heap of them,

They no longer have preservatives, colour, Etc, Etc, So the shelf life is not that great any more,
Still a year or two, tho,

Milk is Pauls or Homebrand long life, They dont have that awefull long life taste, Its obtainable in The Islands,
Old 04-11-2013, 19:08   #45

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We can most of our veggies aboard. That is we do when we can get them! As far as canned meals, I don't really know of any! We do carry what we consider nessasary, like Hash, spam, corned beef(the best we ever got was ib OZ 20+ years ago) We can tuna, both what we catch and what we can buy or trade for with Commerical Fishermen. We have at least 25 pint jars in stock now. Still think that a couple of eggs and a can of hash make a great meal!! But then I have eaten things that would sicken most folks ! I find that if ya add enough onions and garlic to most anything ya get someting to eat!! I guess folks are just to busy to cook at sea or something!! Heck it's hard to beat a Gumbo, or red beans and rice, and both are pretty much one pot meals with little prep time needed !! Just my 2 cents

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: