Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 05:00   #136
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Quest for the One Can Meal

Salt has been maligned and there are very few studies on it at all, let alone showing its bad for you. Surprising? Very! But the strong anti salt push since the early 1970s has meant no funding for research!

In intense exercise we sweat up to 2 litres per hour. Up to 8(!) litres per day.
Racing in the tropics can do high amounts for the hours out in sun, wind and winding the winches.
My daily gym work out is 30 minutes intense. At the end i am bathed in sweat, approximately 1 litre of the damn stuff.

So how much is sodium?
.9 of a gram per litre of sweat. Thats about 2 grams of salt per HALF HOUR! I.e.2,000 mg.

The daily allowance for salt in dietary guidelines is 2,400 mg/ sodium so about 5 grams salt per day.

So your daily intake of salt can be used up in 1 hour 15 minutes of intense exercise.

(Some countries salt advice, such as Australia, is 900 mg sodium per day. So half an hour of sweat and you are out of salt).

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 18:58   #137

Boat: Hunter 27

Tell them that the gum is a laxative. We would collect handfuls from the military guys find find a well deserving L.E. guy during post Katrina. We had a stash of M.R.E.s and lots of Poptarts from the drug dealers we arrested. MREs got old fast. I keep a couple of weeks food on the boat. Mostly soups, tuna, Mac n cheese, cup of soups. Flavored drops for water. Spam, hash

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 22:34   #138

Boat: Westsail 32

The OP asks after a one can meal that can be simply eaten with a spoon.

Here's another vote for Hormel Compleats, here in the US. They're plastic 'cans' or, rather, pans. I eat one for breakfast, and one and a can of vegetables for supper when I'm in cruising mode. The cooking consists of washing the spoon. They're $2.16US in Walmart Supercenters.

They're good. There's lots of variety. There are about 24 kinds of them. The one in the morning is one of the four breakfast ones and I favor the green low salt ones with no salt vegetables later.

When you check them out, grab a Swedish Meatballs.

I used to eat Campbell's Chunky Soup and Progresso, but my blood pressure went high, and a nurse said it was from all the sodium. They have screaming high salt and now, after the low salt diet, they taste of chemicals.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 09:25   #139

Boat: csy 37

Think I mentioned these somewhere back in this thread. I've never tried the breakfasts but the dinners are reasonably good. We add a small can of peas after opening them. Watch for sales and stock up, sometimes 2 for $4 at Publix.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 09:33   #140

Boat: OEM, proportional

Good point, Mark! In Melbourne I worked in a fish & chip shop, near the water. In summer, the busiest season of course, it was brutal. We would get muscle cramps from salt deficiency. Instant remedy was a glass of coke with a generous waving of the salt shaker. My job at the moment is similar, so I've got a 3lt can of tea and a salt cellar nearby at all times, and I've acquired a taste for black coffee with salt. Weird, huh? Gad, all this talk of salt makes me thirsty, time for a beer....
Old 20-07-2014, 09:43   #141

No5 a one can meal but for no refridgeration meals i like the packets of pasta. Look for the ones that dont need butter. Then i use canned evaporated milk. And canned salmon. Salmon Alfredo with no refer. Awsome.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 11:46   #142
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Salt is supposed to be the secret ingredient in USN coffee.

But am I the only one concerned with BPA in tinned foods and plastic "cans" ?

The stuff is an endocrine disrupter and a potential carcinogen, and the food industry makes it really hard to tell what containers do or don't leach BPA into the food.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 13:33   #143
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Salt is supposed to be the secret ingredient in USN coffee.
Spent 11 years in the USN and I never saw salt put in the coffee.

If someone wasn't liked other things may have found their way into their coffee though
Old 20-07-2014, 14:05   #144
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Spent 11 years in the USN and I never saw salt put in the coffee. "
Of course not. I said "secret" ingredient, and that just means you didn't have a high enough security clearance, or had to need to know. :-)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 14:07   #145
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Spent 11 years in the USN and I never saw salt put in the coffee. "
Of course not. I said "secret" ingredient, and that just means you didn't have a high enough security clearance, or had to need to know. :-)
Had a secret clearance, but yeah I was a little out of the loop. I even believed it was good to wash my coffee cup, which was against culture.
Old 20-07-2014, 14:35   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

My father used to maintain that if the coffee was too bitter or strong, half a teaspoon of salt would cure that. I have no idea if it was true because I do not drink it but he certainly did.

Coops.
Old 20-07-2014, 15:03   #147

Saw this trick on Americas Test Kitchen. Must be true.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 15:26   #148

I do add a pinch of salt to my coffee grounds and it does mellow out the flavor.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 15:32   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I (and a lot of my colleague doctors btw) are going away from commercially processed foods of any type. I now eat kale, local yogurt, and fresh/or frozen fruits for breakfast along with some salmon fish oil. It's all in a one glass smoothie. I know it doesn't meet the classification of one can, but I feel better than I have in years.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 18:40   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Wow reading what you all eat has been enlightening. I avoid canned meals like the plague - I feel guilty just taking them off the shelf.

However it seems the boil in bag is replacing the can...

I have 2 goto meals my kid swears by and it's cheating cuz you're mixing cans.

Tuna or Chicken casserole. In skillet brown the cubed chicken (canned chicken meat will work) - garlic, onion as well. Add one can mushroom soup and one can milk (UHT will work) - drop in a suitable quantity of frozen peas/corn/carrot mix (canned would work). Separately boil up some pasta. Mix it all together - I bake with cheese on top but that step is not really necessary in the boat world. Obviously you can make this with tuna as well and skip the stir fry step.

One pot macaroni - Suitable water boiling for pasta - as pasta nears completion, drop in diced hot dogs (any meat will work) closer to completion drop in peas. If you get the water right it's almost all gone when the pasta is "ready" - if not drain. Throw in the cheeze pack and UHT milk , stir it up. Done.

I also combine various Cambell's soups to make stews - Potatos soup with Wild Mushroom for example. I get the condensed soups and thin with milk but I never use the recommended amounts. I like them very thick, especially on the boat where spillage is a concern.

Gotta really watch the sodium contents on all this stuff...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote