Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 08:47   #61

Boat: Oyster 62/03
Re: Provisions for a passage gone wrong

Have plenty of oats, at least you can feed the dogs at the same time.
Old 29-03-2019, 09:07   #62

FWIW:
-Fiber intake is associated with weight loss; presumably in a low-calorie environment people aren't interested in losing weight
-Across populations in formal study fiber is not associated with the feeling of being full (i.e. feeling satiated) withstanding it's effect on slowing stomach emptying; it is routinely associated with feeling bloated, causing gas, etc.
-Fats/oils slow the gut and are associated with feeling full
-For people not previously 'chasing the sugar dragon' (i.e. exaggerated insulin dump in response to sugar intake) all of a sudden changing a diet to carbohydrates will not cause the 'Chinese food now I feel hungry 20 minutes later' thing. Most of us are with a little (or more) padding around the midsection are chasing the sugar dragon. Fully transitioning the insulin response to sugar intake from one extreme to the other generally takes about 2 weeks (not ironically the same duration as the induction phase of many low-carb diets)
-I stand corrected/reminded that the Carnation product requires milk (powdered/fresh). Nonetheless the price remains less than the alternatives without having inferior nutrition while being widely available for purchase in stores.
-The previous reference to Carnation Breakfast powder was at least in response to those who buy Ensure. Ensure really only gained market share catering to older folks who see pre-packaged cans as being convenient and/or different from a "breakfast" drink
-Nutrition is nutrition, meaning it either comes from the ground/animal/water with nutrients, or someone adds nutrients.
-Breakfast cereal is not in-and-of-itself very nutritious...it has to be fortified (i.e. have ground up vitamins added to the mix) before/after baking it in the factory. If one compares the fortification of a breakfast cereal (i.e. the micronutrients like vitamins and minerals) vs a meal supplement, then one will recognize that the meal supplements are simply superior.

-trigger warning for those upset by poo talk: if in a bind, a cleanish tube into which potable water and/or a mild soap (like liquid hand or 'in the sink' dishwashing soap) is passed into the backside will cause mild irritation internally, stimulating the contractile process to achieve the desired product. This practice is completely safe for people who do not have inflammatory or surgical disease of the colon.

-trivia for the bored: Western fiber introduction to certain Pacific islander diets increased the prevalence of schizophrenia in certain islander populations from some astronomical number to the Western prevalence of about 1 in a 100. People goof on gluten, but the immune response to gluten is quite complex (including metabolites that act as an opioid) while gmo fiber products are routinely observed to contain much higher concentrations of gluten than in previous human generations (causing some to equate at least certain fiber crops to be as 'unnatural' as is consuming high-fructose corn syrup vs cane sugar).
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 09:45   #63
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Crunchie-
"Waterglass" is sodium silicate, not hydrated lime. That YT'er may know what she's doing, but she doesn't know what she's doing. The lime may seal the pores in the shell just as well, but it ain't waterglass. She might as well say she was "whitewashing" them. FWIW.

Jammer-
You might want to dabble around with trolling a line, and using whatever you catch to extend the food stores. When I fish with a line and hook, the fish all gather around, pull up there chairs and laugh. But if the chase down the info, use the right line, right lure (not too big or too little, and if you want big fish you need the bigger lures) and get it down to the right depth...I'd just say make sure to cook it well, because many fish carry parasites. And avoid "reef fish" if there's any ciguarterra in the area.

I call it dog food, or "batchelor chow". Couple of extra jars of peanut (almond, cashew) butter and jam may not be exciting--but the are shelf stable and high energy. Tins of Chef BoyArDee, classic batchelor chow. Same for tinned chili. It is called "I really don't want to eat that stuff" so it will stay untouched, but when you're all out of food, even liverwurst starts to look edible.(Don't ask.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 10:32   #64

Boat: Rafiki 37

I just vacuum sealed another two weeks worth of dried veggies. I’ve got at least a month of dried veg and meat now. It will store in a pail-sized area of the boat. And once reconstituted, will be almost as good as fresh. No preservatives. No added salts or whatever. Just (nearly) fresh food.

I just finished sewing my solar dehydrator. Looking forward to giving it a try once we get back to the boat (and once it warms up a bit — still too cold in Newfoundland ).
Old 29-03-2019, 11:17   #65

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Salt water is too salty, but you can mix it with fresh.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 12:04   #66

When backpacking in my youth, I used to take canned dog food for emergency rations (though I never did have to use it). It covers the nutritional needs, and you can be sure your gonna be very hungry before you dig in.

Tasty foodstuffs are going to be gone on the first day of your emergency.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 12:37   #67

Proper provisioning:
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 12:40   #68

Seagull Cooking:

Place the seagull into the roasting pan on a roasting rack, and baste the bird frequently. Cook the seagull for about 25 minutes per pound. The traditional winter provisions on the Lista coast of Norway included three barrels of salted meat - one of mutton, one of fish, and one of seagull.

Better than eating crow!
Old 29-03-2019, 12:46   #69

Bring the provisions for making saltwater taffy. It takes a lot of time and physical effort but then you need to keep yourself occupied if your trip last weeks, months longer than you anticipate. Choose your favorite flavors and of your crew. Yummy for the tummy.
Old 29-03-2019, 13:02   #70

When the situation becomes dire and / or the crew die off, one can make cannibal crew stew.

Four easy to make recipes per the Village Voice, but feel free to improvise and season to individual tastes:

https://www.villagevoice.com/2012/06...nibal-recipes/

Hannibal Lecter’s Human Liver With Fava Beans -
Description: Liver cut in cubes and sautéed in a butter/olive oil combo with caramelized onions. Basically, it’s a Venetian recipe, served with a Tuscan-leaning fava bean stew seasoned with rosemary. Chef’s observation: Serve with a nice glass of chianti.

Shoemaker Kebab – The first of the Donner Party to be eaten, already deceased Sam Shoemaker was apparently spitted and cooked over a fire at the Alder Creek encampment in 1846, and we’ll bet he made a memorable shish kebab. Description: Cut the most convenient and tender parts of the corpse — i.e. buttocks, eyeballs, breast, and internal organs – into two-inch gobbets, place on brochettes, interspersed with sweet Vidalia onions if you have them, and cook over an open fire to desired doneness.

Lung Sashimi - Description: Remove entire lung to be passed around and eaten raw, seasoned only with mucus and blood. Not bad.

Friday’s Crusoe Stew – This recipe was apparently never made in its intended form, because Robinson Crusoe liberates Friday (on Friday, duh!) from his cannibal captors and converts him to Christianity, which doesn’t permit cannibalism — unless we’re talking about communion, of course. Description: If movies can be believed, the usual method of preparation involves removing the European clothes of the human, cutting the body into its component parts (arms, legs, internal organs, head, etc.), and then stewing them in a big three-leg pot, blackened from years of use. Poached pieces are then speared, removed from the pot, and passed around, with much hilarity.
Old 29-03-2019, 13:07   #71

When your provisions get low or you are need for something different, use your sat phone to order pizza to be delivered.

Special order only: Anchovy and sardine, with sea cucumber and seaweed toppings. Recommend purchasing the extra large size, deep dish, makes for great leftovers.
Old 29-03-2019, 13:13   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Just wondering how this went from provisioning mistakes to end of times survival feeding I don't know but it is definitely interesting.

By the way
The sea will provide everything you need to survive.
Old 29-03-2019, 18:05   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Just wondering how this went from provisioning mistakes to end of times survival feeding I don't know but it is definitely interesting.

Guess you didn't read the OP properly.

"provisioning in circumstances where extensive delays could conceivably occur before making landfall."

i.e:
It was : Provisioning for a "passage gone wrong"
Not: "Provisioning for a passage" gone wrong.

So all the talk of "survival feeding" is directly on topic.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 18:23   #74

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I just finished sewing my solar dehydrator.
Sewn? Might you have a photo?
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 18:51   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
Sewn? Might you have a photo?
here's the book
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...SbNqBjfN8yQzAa