Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2017, 15:35   #31

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon
Re: Provisioning plan for long cruise non stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Do you have the boat yet? Or a boat yet?
I would really suggest a two-week shakedown cruise to see how your ideas and the boat get in order. Among other things a menu for two weeks can be repeated until the whole trip is done. I was planning a good 6 week shakedown .
Your refrigeration will be almost worthless for a trip even two weeks long. Very little besides cold beer will keep for more than two weeks, unless it is frozen, not just refrigerated. Eggs, fresh eggs, sure, a bit longer but not the length of your trip.
Which puts you at tinned, freeze-dried, or other staples for the bulk of your food. Breads, only if you bake them fresh. Understand that and concur.
The Vietcong will tell you that a 20# bag of rice is all you need to keep one busy man going for one month. Cooked in the morning, eaten cold at lunch and dinner, there's little fuel to burn as well. Seen that in practice also.The question is, where you decide to set the bar for yourself, beyond that. If you're not a foodie, heck, seven bags of rice and you're good to go. One of my favorite meals is rice and kidney beans. I usually have it 4 days a week for the last 40 years. Some time with steamed carrot or peas or green beans, broccoli a little bit of cayenne or barbacue sauce added and some time just plain. I usually will cook a pound at a time.
In those two weeks you'd be able to clock your consumption of toilet paper, paper towels, toothpaste, soaps, all the things you can't get at sea. (Well, unless you have Amazon's drone delivery service.) I agree included in plan.
If you plan to take pasta, you can save considerable fuel by letting it come to a boil, and then shutting the flame, letting it slow cook in the pot. Good tip Potatoes have a limited storage life, even in the fridge, but instant mashed can be pretty good if you know how to cook them. Dried lentils, beans, store well but need fuel to cook, and some practice.
Shelf life and your eating habits really are going to call the shots. And don't forget to carry enough provisions to accommodate possible spoilage and a delay en route. There is always a contingency plan life under sail is always fluid.. Prepare Adapt and Overcome. This is the prepare Phase
HelloSailor Thank you so much for the good imput,
Sounds like you have done a few long term adventures.
Old 24-06-2017, 15:51   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
If you have plenty of fresh water, backpacking meals can be a great and easy way to get your nutrition. Just did this in the Bahamas. For instance, Mountain House Pasta Primavera is in my opinion every bit as good as what you might get at a restaurant or make from scratch at home. The Mountain House Breakfast Skillet is likewise a good and filling breakfast. Each meal takes about 1.5 to 2 cups of boiling water. Try them out ahead of time to find out what you like. Even if you only eat one of these meals once every few days, it may be just the thing when you've had a long day and don't feel like doing "real" cooking. And another suggestion is to add canned vegetables to the freeze dried meals, like green beans or white beans.
Audrey Dated a young lady named Audrey for awhile beautiful name.
Thank you I Know Mountain House you are spot on with your comment.
I have also upclose and personal with MRI's (and even some old C-Rations Favorite "Green eggs and ham"but I think we ate those all up in Nam).
Those are all being considered. It would make the figuring out the quanity of individual item much easier. I am doing a sort of cost comparison both ways. Thank you again for suggesting this I will no doubt include at least a third of my food stores in this manner.
Old 24-06-2017, 16:00   #33

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I don't see how you can say a solo rtw non-stop via the canals qualifies since you will be connected to the shore in the Panama Canal even if you get someone to book for passage. If you want a clear trip it should be via the capes and 200 days seems a very long timed. I did a quick check and the distance around the world at 45°S is 15,332 nautical miles. Add some more to get you north of the equator and back, lets say 20,000 nm so an average speed of 100 nm/day. Considering the help you will get with currents and generally favourable winds and most any boat suitable for the trip (and 40' would do), and able to carry enough supplies, will average at least 120 per day, or perhaps considerably more. For myself, too many interesting places to stop at and see around the world to make a non-step worth the trouble unless for a race.

BTW, cabbages last about the longest of any fruit/veg. You should be able to get at least two months or more since you will be in fairly cold water.
Old 24-06-2017, 16:04   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpman View Post
Be sure to take care of your vitamins and minerals if you're doing a repetitive diet based on dried and canned foods. Your fresh fruits and vegetables will be the first to be used up before spoilage. A good multivitamin with plenty of Vitamin C and B's and calcium, iron, magnesium, and trace minerals will be important, especially if you'll be sleep deprived.
Bumpman Thank you vitamins are important easy to figure quanity to take just multiply by # of expected days plus 45 also including some ammino acids.

''""Complete first aid kit just short of EMS kit. Adding oil of oregano good for multiple appications.this comment by me is sorry """"
Old 24-06-2017, 16:06   #35

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Oatmeal is perfect for conservation, versatility, fast cooking
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 16:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer1008 View Post
Going for 200 days and not eating oatmeal? When you are gone that long its difficult to figure out exactly what to bring because both your cravings and the sea state are going to kind of dictate what you eat. You will need food that you can eat cold such as power bars and etc. as well as foods that can be prepared any way you want along the way. One of my favorites for bulk supplies is Honeyville foods Shop Honeyville Online | Dried Food & Baking Ingredients | honeyville.com They cater to the Mormon crowd who are required to have one years worth of bulk supplies to hold them through what ever calamity that may come down the road. The only problem is their bulk supplies come in one gallon cans which once open can suffer from spoiling if you do not go through it fast enough.
As for servings as was found with mountain house foods a single serving as indicated on the package is for a person in survival mode. Be sure you bring at least enough for one and a half if you plan to be active on board. If not you may run out before the trip is over.
Wayfarer Thank you I will add some of the Power bars /protein bars to my list.
Old 24-06-2017, 16:24   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Carolyn and Jan are not really long-distance passagemakers. I think you're better off with the writings of Beth Leonard (The Voyager's Handbook and lots of articles) and Lyn Pardey (Care and Feeding of Sailing Crew).

Gulfport and Auspicious both good sources I will look into them. Thank you both

LeeV vacum packing "noted" Thank you
Old 24-06-2017, 17:03   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I would bring 16kg of parboiled white rice. Freeze for 2 days (to kill any bug eggs), containerize into 1kg portions, and seal well. I like rice. My goto food is rice mixed with some kind of protein, some kind of veg and some kind of sauce.

2 cases of cream of mushroom soup (thats the sauce, mentioned above) and a case each of cream of chicken, cream of broccoli, etc. Cream sauce will have to stay on land will subsitute with some thing Barbeque or Hot sauce beef or chicken bullion

As much no-fridge meats as you can afford...beef salami, jerky, pepperoni, turkey jerky, etc. maybe 25 -30 lbs assorted

A good selection of hot sauces, maybe 10 bottles. When the food gets dull, hot sauce can add a ton of flavour when cooking. Especially rice. Yes

Black beans, lentils, chick peas, and kidney beans. These are all super nutritious, full of fiber, and go great with rice. 5 pounds of each (dry, not cans). I would think maybe closer to 10 lbs each

Ten pounds of dried apples. Ten pounds dried cranberries. Twenty pounds dry roasted peanuts. Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews, hazelnuts, and as many pistachio nuts as you can afford. Pistachios are great for night watches, to help pass the time. Good call personally I could pass on the Pistachios

10 of those big plastic jugs of salsa. To go with the rice when you get tired of the creamy soups. They don't need to be refrigerated till they are opened. Good I like that but again creamy stuff stays on hard.

10 jars of instant coffee with caffeine. 10 cans of powdered coffee whitener. Not sure I rarely drink coffee and when i do it is black. I do drink tea sometimes. So may be 150 green tea bags and the containers of coffee maybe that would be better?

If you can find it...powdered eggs. I have found powdered eggs to be much better than they sound. Works for me eggs mixed in the rice is good also

40 boxes of pasta, mostly elbow macaroni (easier to eat on a moving boat). Would that equal 9oz every three days?

20 pounds of onions. 20 pounds of potatoes. Big bags of lemons, limes, apples, and oranges. But these won't last more than the first month.

And finally, when sailing the meals have less meaning...lunch, dinner, etc. I have found there is one big cooked meal a day, plus lots of snacking. Make extra so there are leftovers to enjoy when the weather or your mood turns foul. Great suggestion Get used to drinking lots of water. And when you get to shore, buy as much fresh fruit, veg, and meat as you think you can eat before it goes bad. Not planning shore leave

Cooking on a boat is different than cooking ashore.
hamburking (is that code for Burger King) Great prep work thank you.
Old 24-06-2017, 17:29   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatharms View Post
I can't imagine where you plan to go that requires 200 days nonstop. If you really plan to do that kind of a voyage, the food part will be the easy part. Buy lots of 25-year survival rations and rotate like crazy. Thank you I will consider this. This voyage sounds like a Magellenesque tragedy. I hope not he did not finish his journey not to mention it was not non stop. If you mean to do such a thing, you won't have any of the fun of sailing around here and there. Plenty time to as you say fun sail after I have accomplished this goal. Blessings and prayers, Thank you I am hoping God and King Neptune will agree. Godspeed to you and yours!~ but please don't look for crew. People don't want to sail 200 days nonstop. I am not looking for crew this is purely a Solo quest. However I do think you are wrong there are others out there who would jump on the chance to accompany me. Thank you for your imput.
Quote:
nhschneider
I suggest that you don't underestimate how much of an impact food can have on your morale. I concure. I am aware of quite a few passages that have gone poorly due primarily to a crew's dissatisfaction with the meals that were served. Consider taking some foods that you find are special treats. I like popcorn for night watches (low calorie and no sodium if you skip the butter and salt). ME TOO!~ I have been expermenting with a solar popcorn maker (No joy yet) If it works I think 30lbs of popcorn sprinkled with cane sugar..added to provision list.

I understand your goal to sail around the world non-stop, however, I am almost certain that if you made the same passage and stopped along the way, you'd find it much more interesting, fulfilling and rewarding. Plus you get a wide variety of food, most of which are delicious. This will come later as explained to Gatharms. My next goal will be to sail to Hawaii and stay a month or two. Never been there.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas. Thank You. Godspeed to you and Yours
Thank you this is going to be all so helpful
Old 24-06-2017, 17:40   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
and drives a rather nice large Black Merc that took quite a bit of fuel on Friday evening whilst I was filling up the Suzuki.

Most of use would be pushed to use 4,000 calories a day, even 3,000 needs some serious physical effort to burn off.

Pete
This Quote is in reference to SteadyHands # 7 post in this thread
Good point Pete7 I don't think I burnt 4000-5000 cals even when I was in top shape in the Marines.
If I consumed that many on an ever day basis now I would be 8' (that is wide not tall)
Old 24-06-2017, 18:01   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
All good points.

It is good to be prepared, and that includes be prepared for your plans and voyage preparation to be spoiled by events or chance or weather.

On a 2,500 mile voyage across part of the Northern Pacific, we trolled (fished) with recommended fishing gear (plastic squid of different colors) and only caught one large Dorado (Mahi Mahi). That fish was very good, welcome fresh meat, but I thought we would catch more. Some boats on some courses on some parts of the ocean catch lots of fish. Some don't.

Also, we had about 100 gallons of water in the main tank when we left Hawaii. There was no water maker on board, and the engine was non-functional, so we sailed the whole way. IF we depended on a electric water maker, without a redundant power source, we would have been very thirsty or SOL.

We were becalmed for several days too. Near the end of 30 days, we were at the bottom of the water tank (4 men on boat, using the water for only drinking and food prep) and then the water was foul with scum and bio growth (not my boat). It was so foul no one wanted to drink it, as it looked like green algae soup. Some unforgettable lessons learned.
If your life depends on something always have a contingency plan for the unexpected as much as possible. That is another reason I am asking for imput. So I am not over looking something I may have over looked.
Thank you SteadyHand for this boat has three water tanks I was consider taking one out and replacing it with fuel and a watermaker.
Old 24-06-2017, 18:32   #42

[QUOTE=AiniA;2420301]I don't see how you can say a solo rtw non-stop via the canals qualifies since you will be connected to the shore in the Panama Canal even if you get someone to book for passage. If you want a clear trip it should be via the capes and 200 days seems a very long timed. I did a quick check and the distance around the world at 45°S is 15,332 nautical miles. Add some more to get you north of the equator and back, lets say 20,000 nm so an average speed of 100 nm/day. Considering the help you will get with currents and generally favourable winds and most any boat suitable for the trip (and 40' would do), and able to carry enough supplies, will average at least 120 per day, or perhaps considerably more. The 200 days is a planned safety buffer hopefully it will be a much shorte time. For myself, too many interesting places to stop at and see around the world to make a non-step worth the trouble unless for a race.

BTW, cabbages last about the longest of any fruit/veg. You should be able to get at least two months or more since you will be in fairly cold water. Never thought of the cabbage great thank I actually like raw cabbage.[/QUOTE]

Sorry the following is so
AininA
This is just one of my personal Goals. I do intend on continuing to (as one member put) Fun sail after this. Down east coast USA stopping in every state. Then hang out around the Keys. Then across the gulf maybe stop in Texas. I hear hudson Force is theremaybe meet him and go on fun day sail. Then through the canal stopping there and then visit a little of the west coast of the canal zone the leap off toward hawaii for a fun month or two. Then head back up to Washington to visit friends there. Then down the west coast stopping everywhere except calif. (just joking) Then not sure the course.
Since I am single, for my Fun Sailing I will be taking on crew or companions either or both.
Whew got a little windy there sorry.
Old 24-06-2017, 19:50   #43

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

James, Semper Fi! Many people find out the hard way just how damp and sticky being on a boat can get. For example an opened bottle of vitamins can look like a high school science project gone bad in just a short time. Plan for how to keep desicants live and working for you. I like to double bag with the sealers.

James also get rinsed off every couple of days with at least a PTA shower. Salt can take it's toll on 'ya. Digging your idea and ignore the naysayers!
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 22:30   #44

AlanSmith Semper Fi
Thanks for the reminder. Like Monsoon season at12.5657° N, 104.9910° E There is no dry just degrees of dampness to soaking.
Old 25-06-2017, 03:33   #45

Boat: Catalina 350

WADR, pardon my shortness but maybe read some history about the great James Cook the acclaimed but likely not first to discover Australia who also circumnavigated the globe. Or separately look at the rations for the astronauts on the international space station. Then again why do 200 days without stopping off somewhere? The best part of cruising is surely the stopping off!
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, provisioning