Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2018, 05:40   #1

Provisioning in Fortaleza, Brazil

Hi fellow sailors,

I am needing some insight on provisioning in Fortaleza.

Please could you advise the best places to stock up on food, fuel, water as well as where to Moor. I believe Marina Park Hotel is the best place however safety can be an issue?

It will be my first time in Fortaleza so much advice is appreciated.
Intothedistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 13:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
Re: Provisioning in Fortaleza, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intothedistance View Post
Hi fellow sailors,

I am needing some insight on provisioning in Fortaleza.

Please could you advise the best places to stock up on food, fuel, water as well as where to Moor. I believe Marina Park Hotel is the best place however safety can be an issue?

It will be my first time in Fortaleza so much advice is appreciated.

The marina at the Marina Park Hotel is really crap! But, it is the only safe (against crime) place to stop. There is a fuel station across the road from the hotel where you can fill cans and trolley them back to your boat. Just be aware that Brazil makes biofuel and you must try and find a fuel pump that is not biofuel but normal diesel. Amando, the "marina manager" used to have a bowser, but last time I was there it was broken (just like the marina).

Ask a taxi to take you to the supermarket in town - the taxi is not expensive and the supermarket is massive and well stocked. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WALK FROM THE HOTEL – TAKE A TAXI.

Boats anchoring next to the port harbour at the yacht club get boarded and robbed with the occasional murder – not a good place to be!

There is a route up the northern coast of South America that you should follow - if you want the waypoints I can send them to you - it keeps you in the fast flowing current and out of the thousands of crab pot ropes. Do not go into waters under 200 metres unless you are making for Fortaleza. When leaving Fortaleza, go just west of the wreck and then aim for the eastern corner of the oil field prohibited area then turn up the coast. You need to keep a very good watch when approaching Fortaleza and departing - there are a lot of unlit fishing vessels in those waters at night, ranging from very small to very large!

John.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 13:52   #3

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

i would like to know the waypoints. PM is fine or online. Thanks
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 14:12   #4

Boat: Boatless at the moment

To avoid that the taxi driver gives you a tourist tour ask for Supermercado Guara, Rua Sao Paulo.
Old 24-01-2018, 07:10   #5

Thank you guys.

John please send me the waypoints.

John, please would you advise what you would do about giving Fortaleza a miss. We will be going from CT-St Helena-Ascension-Fernando de Naronha-Fortaleza and then north into the Caribbean.

What do you feel is the best option? I am not keen on Fortaleza at all but our Captain insists for some reason.
Intothedistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 07:46   #6

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Not many options in the North East of Brazil. To the south Natal and to the north Sao Luis. I strongly advise to skip, the town where I live, Sao Luis do Maranhao. BTW Fortaleza is worth a visit of a few days.

On your way to the Caribbean a visit to Suriname Paramaribo is a highlight.
Old 24-01-2018, 08:01   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

If there are any US citizens on board that do not have a Brazilian visa, forget about Fernando and Fortaleza. I have been to Ascension a few time, but it is really not worth the effort (just my opinion). You need to apply for permission to stop in Ascension when on St Helena.

Fernando is a great stop, but can be quite expensive. The diving is good, but in general it is a tourist island with prices associated with tourism. Last time I stopped there they had no customs and immigration and would not allow us ashore as we had not checked into Brazil already. This appears to change all the time as previously I had stopped there with my last port being St Helena and it had been no problem going ashore.

I have stopped at Fortaleza many times. The marina is really crap (falling apart), but I do not know if it has been revived or not over the past year. The Marina Park Hotel is located in a slum area but the city itself has some really good restaurants on the waterfront strip which also has a market every evening on the beachfront. Just use a taxi from the hotel to wherever you go. Mooring at the Marina Park Hotel marina is enter the marina and you need to drop your anchor about midway between the pontoon and the sea wall, then stern to towards the pontoon. The pontoon is metal and the surge is bad at times, so do not go against the pontoon as it will do some serious damage to the stern of the boat. Put your dinghy in the water and pull yourself in the dinghy between the boat and pontoon.

There is a good current running up the northern coast of Brazil - between 3 and 6 knots! If you are lucky and catch the ITCZ at the right time, you can make the trip from Brazil's Natal, all the way up the coast to Grenada in 9 or 10 days. This is why I only stop in Fortaleza if I really need fuel or provisions or need to put a crew member off the boat. Otherwise I skip the place.

You must remember that all my trips in the past have been deliveries and not a cruise, so I have not wanted to linger too long in a place as the quicker I get to my destination, the better it is for me.

If you are in Cape Town, you can give me a call and we can meet up briefly - I have PM'ed you my cell number.

John
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Brazil, provisioning