Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2014, 19:51   #1

provisioning in bocas del toro panama

Hi,
I will be returning to Bocas Del Toro later this year to continue cruising, next trip across the pacific, and am trying to figure out the best way to go about my provisioning.
I had heard it was possible to provision in David and have the goods delivered to Bocas, and that this may be easier than provisioning in Colon. Has anyone done this and how did they find it?
Also how easy is it to provision in Colon?
know there are a few threads in this on here and am reading through them as i get a chance, but haven't come across anything about the David option.
cheers
josh
josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 20:17   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: provisioning in bocas del toro panama

How much do you need to provision? We are currently in Bocas, and it appears that pretty much everything one could need is here in quantity.

If you are going through the canal, can't you just spare a day or two in either Colon or Panama City to provision before heading West?

We have loaded up on provisions in both Colon and Panama City. Both have everything (PC more) and both are easy.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 20:39   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Only down side to provisioning in Bocas is that it is more expensive. Not sure the trip over to David and shipping really adds up but prices and selection are better in David. And yes there is a shipping service that caters to cruisers, but I don't have contact info now.

As posted, both selection and pricing are better in Colon/PC.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 03:13   #4

yeah thanks i have cruised a bit around bocas before putting the boat in the marina and the prices in bocas are not that good. I will be looking at doing a fairly extension provisioning after taking the boat out of storage and getting everything set to go, so will add up to a fair chunk of cash.

the option to do it in Colon or PC is still there, just trying to see my options. i had spoken to a cruiser there in bocas and he told me about the David option and the shipping service and that it worked out better than in Bocas and without the hassle of PC or Colon, so trying to find out some more.
josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 05:27   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

The selection in Panama City is far better than Colon. If you are doing a giant load up before you head off into the SP, I'd wait till PC. You can hire a cruiser friendly taxi by the hour and hit the big box stores, high-end groceries, liquor stores, etc. all in a day.
Old 29-06-2014, 06:28   #6

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

PC is the place to shop, what you will find elsewhere will come from PC anyway. I would stop at Portobello by the canal, you can safely anchor there for as long as you need and both PC and Colon are a short bus ride. Coming back will probably require a private car with all your stuff. We go in from Carti in the San Blas every few months and the round trip costs $200 back to our boat.We hire a driver for the day to hit all the stops. Shelter Bay marina runs a shuttle service into PC, but you must be staying there.
It would be silly of you to come this way and not spend some time in the San Blas. Bocas is a suburb of Houston set in a swamp. If you like to sit around getting drunk with a bunch of rednecks watching Nascar you will love it.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 06:32   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you are going through the canal, why not just wait until you are through and anchored right in Panama City? Take an inexpensive taxi to the box stores, load up and bring it straight back to your boat.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 07:18   #8

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Right on
We use a driver named Roger 507 6717 6745, he has a van and a Price Smart card you can use and knows just where to find what you want. Charges $10/hr. Don't skip the Casa De Jamon for quality cheeses and meats.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, provisioning